Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing immigration in St. John's?

Options
  • 24-05-2015 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at flights with Westjet which go Dublin --> St. John's --> Toronto --> Vancouver. It's a bit of a convoluted route but their baggage fees/policies are quite favourable so that's why I'm going with them (entering on a study permit, not for a holiday).

It's my understanding that I will need to clear Canadian immigration at the first point of landing in the country. I had a search of this forum and couldn't find any mention of anyone specifically doing this in St. John's.

I've got a 3.5 hour stopover at St. John's which I gather would be a comfortable amount of time to clear immigration. However, the stopover in Toronto is too short (only an hour and a half) so I just want to make sure I can do it in St. John's before booking.

Anyone able to confirm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I'm looking at flights with Westjet which go Dublin --> St. John's --> Toronto --> Vancouver. It's a bit of a convoluted route but their baggage fees/policies are quite favourable so that's why I'm going with them (entering on a study permit, not for a holiday).

It's my understanding that I will need to clear Canadian immigration at the first point of landing in the country. I had a search of this forum and couldn't find any mention of anyone specifically doing this in St. John's.

I've got a 3.5 hour stopover at St. John's which I gather would be a comfortable amount of time to clear immigration. However, the stopover in Toronto is too short (only an hour and a half) so I just want to make sure I can do it in St. John's before booking.

Anyone able to confirm?

Yes you will definitely do immigration at St John's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TYBG

Hey, similar situation, flying into Toronto and on towards Vancouver. So I go through immigration in Toronto? Does anyone have an estimate of how long it takes to get through immigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

TYBG wrote: »
    Hey, similar situation, flying into Toronto and on towards Vancouver. So I go through immigration in Toronto? Does anyone have an estimate of how long it takes to get through immigration?

The threads I found in here suggested 2.5 to 3 hours between connecting flights to be comfortable.

Advertisement