Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman denied entry to church

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

galljga1 wrote: »
    Yeah, personally I am kind of torn as to which side to back. I don't like 'travellers' and I don't like the catholic church. I'd say it is a dilemma faced by a lot of posters to this thread.

Totally agree, religious people and travellers are strange breeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

No mention of right of entry or private property. You may aswell have said 'The dog has three legs.'

A dog with three legs ? Where Ted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Shane Coleman going to speak about it on Newstalk now! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Shane Coleman going to speak about it on Newstalk now! :(

All discrimination apparantly

Traditional travelers clothes is what she was wearing lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LOL the women on newstalk is now claiming every traveller that was outside the church was barred from entering without a shred of evidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Shouldn't be discussing this with only one side being represented. She saying everything except racism.

Shouldn't be discussing this with only one side being represented. She saying everything except racism.

In fairness she's not being let away with it at all, also sounds like the priest refused to come on

Am raging listening to this woman. She is speaking balderdash!
    Lying would not be an exaggeration!!

LOL love the comment of "some travellers dress in a traveller style" = dress like a cheap whore on the street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

VinLieger wrote: »
    In fairness she's not being let away with it at all, also sounds like the priest refused to come on

She shouldn't be on at all. If she was looking for a yes vote last week there would have to be someone on looking for ppl to vote no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

LOL love the comment of "some travellers dress in a traveller style" = dress like a cheap whore on the street

I believe it was described as 'traditional' wear.

She more or less said travelers should be aloud do what they want and if you want to make rules that can apply to everybody that's fine but these rules should allow travelers dress how the want so just let us do what we want if not you are discriminating

thee glitz wrote: »
    I believe it was described as 'traditional' wear.

Lol she spoke of "traditional wear" "contemporary wear" and a "unique traveller style" i took the third to be referncing the napkins you see them wearing to these things

Shane doing a good job. Have to laugh when she refers to the dress code in Knock! From what I have seen, they do not observe it there either.

It was pointed out by SC that there is no evidence in the video that
    anyone else was refused entry to the church. It appears that woman on Newstalk had not even spoken to anyone involved in
    the incident. Why in the name of heavens was she even given air time??? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Do they really think it's appropriate or just looking to create a scene?

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Why in the name of heavens was she even given air time??? :(
    Would cry Discrimination if she wasn't I'd say

RoisinD wrote: »
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/05/25/inappropriate/#comment-1376362 Have just been sent this with a close up of dress. Upper thighs, dark thong clearly visible. Presume back view also showed rather more than it should.

Picture taken in dark lobby so maybe even more on show in daylight.

She should at least have had a Hollywood before attempting to wear that dress!! As my mother might have said, she is a holy show!!!

sjb25 wrote: »
    All discrimination apparantly

Traditional travelers clothes is what she was wearing lol

We have to respect the culture of traveller women showing up to
    Church ceremonies dressed like hookers!! :( There was a young girl with a bare midriff in that video. She seemed to be preteen.

Neyite wrote: »
    I'd say she was right that there was worse-dressed women getting let in. My guess would be that while the priest is trying to clamp down and create a dress code, he wasn't going to ruin a family's day by barring a mother or sister of a child making their communion.

So he made an example of someone who was an extended relative instead. To me that's fair. I saw one or two women walking into the church on the second video outside tugging their tiny dresses down in order to be allowed entry.

Tbh, I've seen worse but that looks very tight, and kind of transparent, so while its technically covering skin, its not what any place of worship would deem modest by any stretch of the imagination. And its very possible that accompanying children were even less appropriately attired.

I see where the priest was going. I've seen what should be an important day in the Faith be hijacked by disruptive behaviour of all kinds - from massive dresses that cause disruption, swamp unfortunate classmates in the pew, to the 'amateur' photographer being a dick to ignorant parking outside.

That person was not just harassing the priest, she was also
    trying to humiliate a woman who was wearing a pretty flowered
    dress and a blue jacket as she entered the church. She roared
    out: 'Look at her! Her dress is too short. Why is she allowed to go
    in?' The cheek of it!! The unfortunate woman was so embarrassed
    she started tugging at the hem of her dress, which was not too short!

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Their culture, her female ancestors wore black shawls and hob nailed boots to mass. Their culture me arse ;)

:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Jeez ! Women can be trouble sometimes………………….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

It's no wonder traveler's will always be segregated from society with the attitude of most people, judging by this thread.

FFS they're not all angels, neither are all members of the settled community, but as soon as the traveler lineage is referred to, roll out the bigots casting aspirations on every facet of their lives, be it their 'culture', the way they dress, how they make their money etc.

Same bigots probably lauded the fact that they voted YES for equality last week.

Equality should be for all citizens whether it's LGBT, Muslim, Christian, Jew, traveler etc.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    It's no wonder traveler's will always be segregated from society with the attitude of most people, judging by this thread.

FFS they're not all angels, neither are all members of the settled community, but as soon as the traveler lineage is referred to, roll out the bigots casting aspirations on every facet of their lives, be it their 'culture', the way they dress, how they make their money etc.

Same bigots probably lauded the fact that they voted YES for equality last week.

Equality should be for all citizens whether it's LGBT, Muslim, Christian, Jew, traveler etc.

Call it bigotry against bad dress sense. Someone posted earlier that they were all informed about dress code in advance. She didn't stick to it. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Nice try Mikey if ye want equality then ye need to make serious changes in ye're behaviour.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Call it bigotry against bad dress sense. Someone posted earlier that they were all informed about dress code in advance. She didn't stick to it. End of story.
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    Nice try Mikey if ye want equality then ye need to make serious changes in ye're behaviour.
    I rest my case :rolleyes:

You're both very quick to jump in with your biased 2 cents.

Bigotry is an accepted norm when it comes to travelers, you want them to integrate into modern Irish society, treat them as you would any other minority & not like 2nd class citizens.

Maybe then we'll have real equality for all.

Equally as infuriating are people like your or Pavee Point who ignore the mountains of cases where travellers have acted outrageously and only latch onto edge cases like this and cry "discrimination"

Equally as infuriating are people like your or Pavee Point who ignore the mountains of cases where travellers have acted outrageously and only latch onto edge cases like this and cry "discrimination"
    I don't ignore them, cases where travelers have acted outrageously should be dealt with accordingly by the law of the land, same as any other criminal act, hence the equality for all...

Bigotry is an accepted norm when it comes to travelers, you want them to integrate into modern Irish society, treat them as you would any other minority & not like 2nd class citizens.

So why are you trying to achieve here? The right to wear skimpy dresses in church for all?

I believe Travellers are discriminated against but I also believe that she is using that unfairly in this case. It's a dreadful dress and completely inappropriate for church and I would be saying the same if non Traveller was wearing that dress. Neither do I accept claims about their culture, bad taste isn't part of any culture.

Btw you are using the same argument as her. The moment you cry bigotry the other party is in the wrong. Because whatever they try to point out they will just be accused of being a biggot according to your own definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You want equality for travelers but you also want them to be allowed carry on the same as they always have :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Not trying to achieve anything meeeeh, just making a valid observation.

It disgusts me every time a traveler thread comes up, the amount of vitriol that spews forth & is deemed acceptable by most.

If the same vitriol was aimed at any other minority, there would be uproar :confused:

For the record, I do believe the dress was indecorous for the occasion, but for others it's just the impetus for another traveler bashing rant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

It disgusts me every time a traveler thread comes up, the amount of vitriol that spews forth & is deemed acceptable by most.

If the same vitriol was aimed at any other minority, there would be uproar :confused:

To be honest, that says more about the particular minority in question more than anything else.

For the record, I do believe the dress was indecorous for the occasion, but for others it's just the impetus for another traveler bashing rant.

If it is valid observation then find one post were I was bashing Travellers or making any conclusions about the whole group. I just don't know if she was discrimintated against but she definitely was inappropriately dressed. She put a video online herself hoping for response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

To be honest, that says more about the particular minority poster more than anything else.

Fixed that for you ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Is there a disproportionate level of crime, welfare fraud, tax evasion, lack of education and antisocial behaviour in the gay community then or did you just make a totally spurious comparison?

In the other traveller thread currently going in AH a traveller sued a hotel for not hiring enough security to stop a brawl at a traveller wedding he was attending and got injured during. He employed a security expert to testify that violence was "part and parcel of traveller weddings"

By their own admission they are violent thugs

• Advertisement

Is there a disproportionate level of crime, welfare fraud, tax evasion, lack of education and antisocial behaviour in the gay community then or did you just make a totally spurious comparison?

i suppose that some of our greatest music and musicians our poets and storytellers and holders of traditions our to be ignored?

that bile you just typed is harking back to the days when that rethoric was the staple of every house in ireland and which has led us to where we are

those that commit the vast majority of crime are of the settled commuinty

to be fair i have never seen a traveller banker

In the other traveller thread currently going in AH a traveller sued a hotel for not hiring enough security to stop a brawl at a traveller wedding he was attending and got injured during. He employed a security expert to testify that violence was "part and parcel of traveller weddings"

One Man doesnt make a commuinty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

Replace Traveler with black man/woman or gay man/woman in this thread and see how far it would it would get before being closed down and see the amount of people who wouldn't post whats been posted, out and out discrimination.

The church has bigger problems than what a woman wears and if they don't know this then they are more backwards than i thought!

One Man doesnt make a commuinty...

Where did I claim one man made a community? All I said was a member of that community testified that travellers wedding's are more often than not violent

i suppose that some of our greatest music and musicians our poets and storytellers and holders of traditions our to be ignored?

that bile you just typed is harking back to the days when that rethoric was the staple of every house in ireland and which has led us to where we are

those that commit the vast majority of crime are of the settled commuinty

to be fair i have never seen a traveller banker

*sigh* I said DISPROPORTIONATE. Its even accepted by Pavee Point that there is an issue with all of the above mentioned points within the traveller community.

• Advertisement

Replace Traveler with black man/woman or gay man/woman in this thread and see how far it would it would get before being closed down and see the amount of people who wouldn't post whats been posted, out and out discrimination.

The church has bigger problems than what a woman wears and if they don't know this then they are more backwards than i thought!

If only invalid comparisons worked.

If only invalid comparisons worked.

How is it invalid?

one man took a hotel to court ,not a whole commuinty

*sigh* I said DISPROPORTIONATE. Its even accepted by Pavee Point that there is an issue with all of the above mentioned points within the traveller community.

Context is everything ...

How is it invalid?
    Find me a few decades of reporting of a disproportionate level of crime and antisocial behaviour amongst foreign nationals or homosexuals. Find me an example of hospitals being put under siege by Africans or lesbiens.
    I'll be waiting.

Find me a few decades of reporting of a disproportionate level of crime and antisocial behaviour amongst foreign nationals or homosexuals. Find me an example of hospitals being put under siege by Africans or lesbiens.
    I'll be waiting.

I wont, because i do not discriminate.

RRRRRiiight. Looking up genuine factual stats is discrimination. Reality is discrimination?

You wont because you cant.

How is producing verifiable facts discrimination?

How is producing verifiable facts discrimination?

It discriminates against the wearers of rose tinted glasses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The churches need to have"the sexiest ladies" ceremonies just so that sexy ladies cannot claim discrimination.

• Advertisement
Advertisement