Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman denied entry to church

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

In Rome and most of Italy both shoulders and knees must be covered.

Also applies to men, no shorts allowed! So it's not a sexist issue.

That said I saw far worse today at mass, one girl had a skirt that wouldn't have been out of place in a strip club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's probably my imagination (but I'm going to blame the video quality anyway) but I'm wondering is it the perception that the dress is practically see-through and that you can see at least she's wearing underwear? :confused:

She really doesn't do her own case any favours with her attitude, and if those retorts on the youtube video are directly attributed to her, then she needs to wash her mouth out with some soap and holy water! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is actually.

It isn't in the sense that those words apply to this conversation.* You are free to believe in whatever religion you like but that doesn't mean churches are obliged to let you be a member.

* laws are strange and voluminous things , feel free to reference a law if you disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Not tonight, love. Members only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My shop, my rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

In Rome and most of Italy both shoulders and knees must be covered.

Also applies to men, no shorts allowed! So it's not a sexist issue.

That said I saw far worse today at mass, one girl had a skirt that wouldn't have been out of place in a strip club.

I wasn't allowed into quite a few churches in Italy and I think France because I was not properly dressed when sightseeing on holidays. I'm not a church goer but I wouldn't go to opera in track suit so I really don't see the problem with enforcement of certain dress code.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Not tonight, love. Members only.

*snigger*, no surprise there Father :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ah she'll get over it, nobody died.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

What's Fat Pat's take on it, for or agin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Should we all be racist now? What's the official line the church has taken on this?

Only, the farm takes up most of the day, and at night I just like a cup of tea. I mightn't be able to devote myself full time to the old racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I want to make a musical about a traveller family and a affluent family who go on a quest to the centre of the world to dispose of Brendan O' Connor.

I'd like to call it "ReJoyce in the killing of a rebel"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

meeeeh wrote: »
    I wasn't allowed into quite a few churches in Italy and I think France because I was not properly dressed when sightseeing on holidays. I'm not a church goer but I wouldn't go to opera in track suit so I really don't see the problem with enforcement of certain dress code.

I don't think the issue is that there's a dress code (I've no problem covering up going into churches or mosques), it's that he was letting settled women in in similar states of exposure and not the travellers.

I'm from near enough to Enistymon, and it's not the first second or third time I've heard stories about that priest and travellers tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So after hours have we really come that far ?
    Do we deny the rights of others based on the dress code or because of what a person has done

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S_pOr6EEb-M
    Strange she only has the video after she was kicked out, and not the kicking out, nor the swearing that she claims happened. Most people would be videoing the entire thing, so I'm skeptical that there was any swearing, and more likely she's banned from the church for other reasons.

Also, the RCC is a private organization, who can ban whomever they want from their premises.

Finally, we don't know how she was dressed earlier, and only her word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

People still go to church?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I remember going to a confirmation down in ennis and the state of our travelling friends was hilarious

13-16 year old girls dressed like strippers in a cathedral

still no one got shot so it was'nt all that bad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the_syco wrote: »
    Also, the RCC is a private organization, who can ban whomever they want from their premises.
    This. Their house their dress code.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Probably due to them behaving like animals killing each other outside churches rather than one of the tribe dressing like a cheap hooker

Priest did the right thing

Mod: Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I don't think the issue is that there's a dress code (I've no problem covering up going into churches or mosques), it's that he was letting settled women in in similar states of exposure and not the travellers.

I'm from near enough to Enistymon, and it's not the first second or third time I've heard stories about that priest and travellers tbh

Yep, you have it in one. It's not the first story that I have heard about him either.

the_syco wrote: »
    Strange she only has the video after she was kicked out, and not the kicking out, nor the swearing that she claims happened. Most people would be videoing the entire thing, so I'm skeptical that there was any swearing, and more likely she's banned from the church for other reasons.

Finally, we don't know how she was dressed earlier, and only her word.

Ahh come on, it's hardly like she rocked up to the Church Lady Guinevere style, jumped down off the horse and pulled on a frock! :D

I imagine it's something along the lines of what electro posted above, that this particular priest has a problem with travellers, but like I said earlier - really not helping her own case mouthing off like she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

If it was about dress, then fair enough but one rule for everyone mateys! Going into churches in Venice to look at the architecture (about 25 years ago tbf), there were signs on the door with symbols of mini-skirted women crossed out, and couples holding hands crossed out. Don't remember any men wearing shorts crossed out mind you......but the church does hold a special place in hell for underdressed women rather than men, I'm sure :rolleyes:

So put up signs, RC Churches here, or don't be targeting only some people and not others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

The media are on to it now.

This posted as a recent comment on the video.
    Hi, Donie here from Storyful news agency. Wondering if you can email me. Would like to get permission from the person who filmed this video for it to be used by news organizations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

Wibbs wrote: »
    This. Their house their dress code.

Even though they " might be private " ( depends if that part your on is run by a charity or charitable arm of the church)

They still have to abide by equality law and should they have a dress code shouldn't that code be displayed ? Alongside all other rules/ conditions that apply

And discrimination is a different and a lot more serious issue. There are a lot moron priests around but that video still doesn't prove anything. Btw I 've seen a lot worse dressed women in the church but it wasn't just her there neither do we know how other short skirted women were dressed.

Ahh come on, it's hardly like she rocked up to the Church Lady Guinevere style, jumped down off the horse and pulled on a frock! :D

I imagine it's something along the lines of what electro posted above, that this particular priest has a problem with travellers, but like I said earlier - really not helping her own case mouthing off like she did.

In fairness

It was her little girl's first communion day and her mother wasn't allowed into

the church to celebrate the sacrament. I wouldn't be too happy if that

happened to me. There has always talk about how travellers dress for

communions and confirmations in Ennistymon.

I just feel the situation could have been handled with a little more diplomacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

meeeeh wrote: »
    And discrimination is a different and a lot more serious issue. There are a lot moron priests around but that video still doesn't prove anything. Btw I 've seen a lot worse dressed women in the church but it wasn't just her there neither do we know how other short skirted women were dressed.

It doesn't no, but because I know of that priest I'd be inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt.

If only for the sake of balance in a thread where people are saying it's more likely that she arrived in a bikini and battered the head off someone than *gasp* someone might be unreasonably prejudiced against travellers

Shrap wrote: »
    If it was about dress, then fair enough but one rule for everyone mateys! Going into churches in Venice to look at the architecture (about 25 years ago tbf), there were signs on the door with symbols of mini-skirted women crossed out, and couples holding hands crossed out. Don't remember any men wearing shorts crossed out mind you......but the church does hold a special place in hell for underdressed women rather than men, I'm sure :rolleyes:
    R
    So put up signs, RC Churches here, or don't be targeting only some people and not others.
    men in shorts won't get into the church in Italy. I remember my male friend and I always kept a pair of long combats when interrailing in Italy exactly for that purpose.

It doesn't no, but because I know of that priest I'd be inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt.

So would I.

Even though they " might be private " ( depends if that part your on is run by a charity or charitable arm of the church)

They still have to abide by equality law and should they have a dress code shouldn't that code be displayed ? Alongside all other rules/ conditions that apply

You're having a laugh surely? :confused:

Just because one priest behaves like a prick, that's no reason to assume they all do, they're just as human as you or I are after all, and for that woman to be judging the priest for his behaviour, while literally making a holy show of herself, like I said, doesn't help her case.

I have little sympathy for her, or the priest in that situation. There's equality for you. I couldn't muster up enough outrage for either of 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You could be denied entry to a nightclub for wearing runners or a t shirt, difference is people just accept it and don't bother with the high drama.

Strange how the settled women she was going on about didn't appear in the clip seeing she was saying they were let in dressed the same as her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'll just come right out and say this, she's dressed like a slapper, mutton as lamb etc however it's not provocative or entirely revealing, thankfully. If she was truely denied entry to the church because of her dress then that is wrong and the church/priest has gone too far however I'd say there is considerably more to the story than she's saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

however I'd say there is considerably more to the story than she's saying.

Of course but there is obviously an agenda at play here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Thought that was Singin' Bernie Walsh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Actually not that unlikely. A town close to here with a high traveller population held a Communion ceremony recently where the priest had warned ALL the parents not to bring the girls in huge wide frocks. He was at the door when a child arrived with her parents ,her dress was so wide she couldn't easily get through the door and the priest spoke to the mother. Next thing, the mother whipped the big wide skirt was off the child's dress to reveal a (still awful) narrower skirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Can a parish of Ennistymon and the diocese of Killaloe get dragged to the Equality Authority the same way a hotel can?

Genuinely asking here, I don't know.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Can a parish of Ennistymon and the diocese of Killaloe get dragged to the Equality Authority the same way a hotel can?

Ennistymon is in the Galway diocese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ooooh, I stand corrected

I just linked up County Clare :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

I think religious institutions are exempted from the equality laws - women priests and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

how can the church be a private organisation ? existing on public funds not paying any tax on income, in this instance they picked on a person on communion day, how many you have been to italy and been refused entry when your child is making communion because you were wearing shorts or baring shoulders how many women have bare shoulders at weddings, it is gross hypocrisy.

i do not know what hapenned before this video was made and i have zero tolerance for a lot of traveller activities but they cannot be singled out when they are making an effort to be part of the religous community.

a small anecdote, years ago when i was in college in galway on a night out over the christmas i was out with a few lads and there was a few traveller girls across the road dressed up to the nines, the lads i was with were laughing at them and i thought to myself, we can walk in to any pub in galway and get a drink and behave like assholes, but those girls will be refused everywhere they go, thats the difference.

excuse my spelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Aineoil wrote: »
    In fairness

Why did you write it

Like that?

• Advertisement

Ooooh, I stand corrected

I just linked up County Clare :o

No worries:) Easy mistake to make.

The Killaloe diocese starts at around or about the Monreel cross.

For example Inagh is in the Killaloe diocese.

In fairness

I can`t imagine diplomacy being in her vocabulary

Why did you write it

Like that?

I don't understand? Please explain.

Why did you write it

Like that?

Double line spacing is actually

easier for me to read :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

I don't understand? Please explain.

Yes

Please explain

Un Croissant

Double line spacing is actually

easier for me to read :D

I find double line spacing easier to read too. It's my age!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

The majority of them are good people.

Not too sure about that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

About time someone stood up to these people who think they have a RIGHT to everything, but a responsibility for nothing.

The Church cannot be taken to task on this, they are exempted under the Equal Status Act.

The Travellers can rock up to the church wearing big fat gypsy bits of cloth just barely covering their own bits, and then go out and cause mayhem (well most of them, but YKWIM). Christianity my ass. They have double standards IMV.

Anyway, one of the biggest crimes of all was just committed there.

The mother wore the same colour as the child (white), unless it was her son lolz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

About time someone stood up to these people who think they have a RIGHT to everything, but a responsibility for nothing.

The Church cannot be taken to task on this, they are exempted under the Equal Status Act.

The Travellers can rock up to the church wearing big fat gypsy bits of cloth just barely covering their own bits, and then go out and cause mayhem (well most of them, but YKWIM). Christianity my ass. They have double standards IMV.

Anyway, one of the biggest crimes of all was just committed there.

The mother wore the same colour as the child (white), unless it was her son lolz.

Need a bigger broom to make more sweeping comments ?

how can the church be a private organisation ? existing on public funds not paying any tax on income, in this instance they picked on a person on communion day, how many you have been to italy and been refused entry when your child is making communion because you were wearing shorts or baring shoulders how many women have bare shoulders at weddings, it is gross hypocrisy.

excuse my spelling

I not aware of churches getting money from the public purse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ara, fock em.
    Its his church and he'll pray if he wants to..
    Pray if he wants to....

You would pray too if it happened to youuuu.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement