Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman denied entry to church

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

its taken many many years of me being on boards to be disgusted at a post

7/8 year old children being called hookers to make a point by a grown adult(i think)
    at least have the skill to blame the parents ...

Spare the outrage. He/she said 'like' hookers.

Anyway I don't give a damn what adults are wearing,regardless how tacky it is, but I can't say that I can stomach early sexualization of kids just with 'ah sure it is about cultural diversity'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Silverfish wrote: »
    She was dressed no different than how people might dress for a wedding, but of course for a wedding they pay the priest.
    True enough SF. Before I looked at said vid I expected to see full on pimped by Channel 4 "Traveler Tart" to garner viewers, but nope. As you say it wouldn't be out place at many weddings and I have most certainly seen worse. One of the last funerals I was at, conducted in a what will the neighbours think leafy Dublin suburb, a wan three pews ahead of me was wearing a skirt so short every time she bent over to kneel for prayers I could see her lungs. The dearly departed wasn't the only stiffy in the house I can tell you that. But apparently that was acceptable(and welcome from this authors viewpoint). There's something else going on here IMH. Some other issue.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

i agree totally, but not knowing anything else but the images from the video she should not have been excluded on that day, and i believe the perseption of traveller disregard for the way the rest of the country have to live, pay taxes, bin charges etc can be very galling.

i do believe the church has every right to exclude and there is a lot of a la carte catholicism about as you say hatches matches and despatches, they can exclude a traveller but they cannot exclude her because she is a traveller.

equality / tolerance is not easy and there was a lot of back clapping over the weekend and rightly so it was a great step forward after centuries of victimisation violence and fear but if we are to be really fair to all every one needs to sign up priests and travellers included, both of them should start paying taxes

have i gone of the point?

There may be a back story to this.

But at the end of the day I applaud the priest in this instance.

About time the Church, or any Religion faced up to those who want to push out the boundaries.

In time, there will be only a core of people who will attend church. And maybe it is now time that the Churches lay down a few rules for that attendance.

Most will observe a dignified attendance. The vast vast majority. Even if they are only there for Hatches Matches and Dispatches. That is the reality.

The Travellers rocking up with their tarty clothes are alienating people towards them, have they no sense of decorum or respect within a church.

Show me the non Traveller attendees that show up with that kind of garb, or rants on FB.

We can be a tad too tolerant I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

its taken many many years of me being on boards to be disgusted at a post

7/8 year old children being called hookers to make a point by a grown adult(i think)
    at least have the skill to blame the parents ...

Oh don't be so ridiculous.

It IS the parents' fault, and nobody sane would read that comment any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

I think you need to choke down your mistaken moral outrage and take the time to read my post properly. I find children being dressed in a sexually provocative way disgusting and I make no apology for that.

yet you call children dressed like hookers ,acceptable to post
    shouldnt you be disgusted with yourself ..

arent women allowed to dress whatever way they want without society judging them

isnt this victim blaming ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

Cienciano wrote: »
    People should realise that when they decide that they're catholic, they cannot make up their own rules. You follow the rules of the church. You should not pick and choose what rules you follow, you're either in or out. If you don't agree with certain rules (contraception, divorce, homosexuality etc) you should leave and find another religion.

i'm sorry but the greatest attribute of the catholic church above all else is the forgiveness of sins, we can sin, ask for forgiveness and it will be granted.

if we were all to follow the rules of the church it would be nearly empty.
    it is not for the congregation to live like priests we are human and weak sinners, their words not mine,

we have to try and live as well as we can but we fail, and that priest failed and he should apologise.

and finally when that priest looks at that girl in that dress and thinks what he thinks , its her fault??

i have a bottle of wine in me at the moment , i should stop now
    good night

Not having been inside a church for well over twenty years, I have to ask - are there 'settled' women who go to church dressed as tastelessly as the woman in the video, as she claims ?

I do not like the garb of Travellers attending the CC.

I don't like that Travellers think they can sue everyone for not allowing them to enter any premises including a church.

I believe that Irish are tolerant. But push us... and it might be different.

Slappers, and Bare Knuckle Boxers are not what our society needs now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

No.

i'm sorry but the greatest attribute of the catholic church above all else is the forgiveness of sins, we can sin, ask for forgiveness and it will be granted.

it is not for the congregation to live like priests we are human and weak sinners, their words not mine,

we have to try and live as well as we can but we fail, and that priest failed and he should apologise.

and finally when that priest looks at that girl in that dress and thinks what he thinks , its her fault??

good night

Good night, Father.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Wibbs wrote: »
    True enough SF. Before I looked at said vid I expected to see full on pimped by Channel 4 "Traveler Tart" to garner viewers, but nope. As you say it wouldn't be out place at many weddings and I have most certainly seen worse. One of the last funerals I was at, conducted in a what will the neighbours think leafy Dublin suburb, a wan three pews ahead of me was wearing a skirt so short every time she bent over to kneel for prayers I could see her lungs. The dearly departed wasn't the only stiffy in the house I can tell you that. But apparently that was acceptable(and welcome from this authors viewpoint). There's something else going on here IMH. Some other issue.

I think we can both safely assume it's a bit from column A: prejudice and B: the dress. It's not.... terribad but it's not great either and it's not like every church and priest has a standardised dress code. What's acceptable in one to one priest is totally different to another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think it's more of a case of parent blaming, but when you consider the parents are in their early 20's themselves, you wonder are the parents just dressing the kids how they dress themselves because they don't know any better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Not having been inside a church for well over twenty years, I have to ask - are there 'settled' women who go to church dressed as tastelessly as the woman in the video, as she claims ?

I'm yet to see it, and I go to mass every week as well as communions, weddings etc.

A single celibate man decides that a woman is dressed to skimpy to attend church ,and its all about being a traveller and how she dresses

good night

Enjoy the vino!

There should be boundaries. Children need them, and we all need them.

Without some boundaries we are doomed..

Travellers don't seem to observe any societal boundaries. But they expect everyone else to respect their right to do this.

Mad Ted.

We are afraid to face them down. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭SummerSummit

A womans place is in the home. They shouldn't be let into church's or anywhere of importance. Bunreacht na hÉireann - Article 41.2.1

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. Corinthians 14:34-35

A woman should learn while listening quietly and being completely willing to obey. I don’t allow a woman to teach a man or tell him what to do. She must listen quietly. Timothy 2:11-12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Any travellers on here?

I'm heading to Limerick (from Dublin) on Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

arent women allowed to dress whatever way they want without society judging them

And on that ridiculous comment I'm going to bow out as you're clearly just looking to be offended and frankly, life is just too short for reading that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

arent parents allowed to dress the young 6/7 year old like hookers without society judging them

Give over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Travellers rocking up with their tarty clothes are alienating people towards them, have they no sense of decorum or respect within a church.

I just remembered an incident 2 years ago at Christmas eve mass. A traveler woman in her 20's with a short skirt rocked in well after the mass had started and proceeded to make her way to the crib next to the alter.

Once there she bent over to kiss the baby Jesus and revealed an illuminous green pair of panties for all on the east side of the church to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Are you sure ?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Victim blaming occurs when the victim of a crime or any wrongful act is held entirely or partially responsible for the harm that befell theme another.[3]

How many profiles have you used ??

A single celibate man decides that a woman is dressed to skimpy to attend church ,and its all about being a traveller and how she dresses

Whether you like it or not, there is a Catholic tradition and attitude in relation to sexuality, the human body, modesty etc etc.

It isn't just something they've made up, to thwart the Travellers.

If you don't like it, either don't go there, or don't dress like a slapper if you do go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Will this be called frock gate :)

Maybe we could put together a rhyme about it something like the priest got a shock when he saw her flimsy frock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

A long time ago I saw a man dressed like Santa.

Now before you get too excited I don't think he actually was Santa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What difference does it make if he's single and celibate? He's the poxy priest, his rules.

Well, I would just ask this question of those who may be so liberal..

Your darling son or daughter is making Communion tomorrow.

And then the Church is consumed with a Traveller Rant, in full view of all your relatives and friends.

Not nice.

Travellers should employ a priest for their church things in every campsite/halting site.

They can well afford to pay for it.

But they prefer to annoy everyone else. QED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

A womans place is in the home. They shouldn't be let into church's or anywhere of importance. Bunreacht na hÉireann - Article 41.2.1

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. Corinthians 14:34-35

A woman should learn while listening quietly and being completely willing to obey. I don’t allow a woman to teach a man or tell him what to do. She must listen quietly. Timothy 2:11-12

Get over yourself Sofiztikated 3:16

Well, I would just ask this question of those who may be so liberal..

Your darling son or daughter is making Communion tomorrow.

And then the Church is consumed with a Traveller Rant, in full view of all your relatives and friends.

Not nice.

Travellers should employ a priest for their church things in every campsite/halting site.

They can well afford to pay for it.

But they prefer to annoy everyone else. QED
    I've seen plenty of non travellers behaving like idiots too. When you tar the whole community with the same brush is prejudice.
    Anyway I am sure the church goers got a good entertainment out of it.

• Advertisement

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I'd give her one

Are you fond of the old cellulite because there's tons of it under that dress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Not victim blaming as the kids dressed like hookers are the victims and nobody is blaming them for the poor choices of their parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

i don't know what I'm more shocked at ..
    Some of the comments that are very close to ignorance or the fact that After Hours is full of fashionistas ..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I wouldn't let her milk my cows!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

coolbeans wrote: »
    Not victim blaming as the kids dressed like hookers are the victims and nobody is blaming them for the poor choices of their parents.
    I watched the video again and a third time. I don't see her kids in it. Can you let us know at which point they appear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

No they're not, and that's an utterly useless comparison. Travellers have exactly the same opportunity as anyone else in society now to enter into marriage with a person of the same sex.

How are travellers who are LGBT treated within their own community actually now that you bring it up? Are they treated equally as travellers who identify as heterosexual or are they treated with disdain and treated like lepers among their own community?

I'm curious about that and you seem to be au fait with traveller culture, so perhaps you could help me understand your perspective on equality and how it relates to the way travellers treat members of their own community who are LGBT.

It's a tricky thing, there are lots of traveller community health workers doing a lot to change attitudes, and the attitude of the young'uns would be vastly different than their parents, broadly speaking. Still a lot more prejudicial than settled culture, compounded by the fact that it's a lot harder for a young traveller to just do the ol' move to Dublin to get away with it thing.

Very rare for young traveller women to come out, apparently, much more acceptable for young men. Women get the thin end of the wedge in traveller culture generally though, their suicide rates are through the roof compared to settled women.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't let her milk my cows!

How's it goin boss have you any milk for the babby?

meeeeh wrote: »
    I've seen plenty of non travellers behaving like idiots too. When you tar the whole community with the same brush is prejudice.
    Anyway I am sure the church goers got a good entertainment out of it.

Give us an example please of people not belonging to the Traveller Community turning up in tarty clothes at a Communion and all the rest of it.

What happens in your parish at a First Communion? Lots of Travellers causing mayhem with their attire, or a civilised event for everyone?

You need to open your eyes big time.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I watched the video again and a third time. I don't see her kids in it. Can you let us know at which point they appear?

I don't think this is related directly to the video.

Travellers have far too much Tax Free Income.

They pay no Property Tax or Water rates. And I doubt they pay much Income Tax.

So they can do what they want.

They seem to be able to afford anything at all. I wonder why the Recession passed them by?

It is not and never will be an equal society with that lot. EVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

psinno wrote: »
    I don't think this is related directly to the video.
    Oh right so they are just generalising on a different situation that may or may not have actually happened then? Gotcha ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

I was referring to what was said by outraged poster fluffyangel re hooker kids and and churches blah blah. . . Ya know what, just forget it.

It's a tricky thing, there are lots of traveller community health workers doing a lot to change attitudes, and the attitude of the young'uns would be vastly different than their parents, broadly speaking. Still a lot more prejudicial than settled culture, compounded by the fact that it's a lot harder for a young traveller to just do the ol' move to Dublin to get away with it thing.

Very rare for young traveller women to come out, apparently, much more acceptable for young men. Women get the thin end of the wedge in traveller culture generally though, their suicide rates are through the roof compared to settled women.

Ah here, come on.

The traveller women cannot even decide who they love heterosexually!

Marriage at seventeen, then many kids after.

I very much doubt that the men have it any easier. After all, it is they that marry the seventeen year olds.

Give us an example please of people not belonging to the Traveller Community turning up in tarty clothes at a Communion and all the rest of it.

What happens in your parish at a First Communion? Lots of Travellers causing mayhem with their attire, or a civilised event for everyone?

You need to open your eyes big time.
    I haven't got a clue what happens at first communion in my parish. But I know that people were not happy when all Irish were judged on the actions of the few drunken idiots in Australia. So tell me do we conclude that all Irish are drunken idiots who should be left out of Ireland?

I've been at a christening with a group of travellers and except awful clothes they behaved impeccably. They certainly knew their prayers much better than I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

That said I saw far worse today at mass, one girl had a skirt that wouldn't have been out of place in a strip club.

Enough teasing, just tell us where you go to mass ffs!

They seem to be able to afford anything at all. I wonder why the Recession passed them by?

We don't be payin no tax boss ah shur we don't be makein any money, we can only afford a bit of green diesel for the 151 jeep. Them customs men are sound out they don't come near us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Ah here, come on.

The traveller women cannot even decide who they love heterosexually!

Marriage at seventeen, then many kids after.

I very much doubt that the men have it any easier. After all, it is they that marry the seventeen year olds.

See, you actually know fcuk all about travellers don't you? That early marriage thing is changing, it's not like it was ever compulsory, and believe it not families are getting smaller. There are PLENTY of travellers who strongly disagree with teenage marriages, and actually work within the community to try and accelerate the rate of change for that practice, rather than spewing uninformed ****e on the internet. But hey, keep going how you're going and see which one improves the situation first

Women get the thin end of the wedge in traveller culture generally though, their suicide rates are through the roof compared to settled women.

Are they higher than male travellers suicide rates?
    Male travellers have a suicide rate that is 6 times non travellers.

Yeah the bastards even die on average 20 years sooner than the rest of population. That's how good they have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The poor little girl wants to celebrate her holy communions and you bastards deny that??
    No. The priest refused the childs aunt into the church, not the little girl and her mother.

The travelling community should be proud of themselves and **** ye all.
    And :pac::pac::pac::pac: ye all back.

Whatever way they dress i can swear that they are more decent than any of ye bastards.
    They are decent at running too. They took off like rockets a few years ago when myself, my father and my brother and his mates caught a few of them in the middle of robbing my fathers van.

Well, good luck to ye. Limerick is one place where the travellers are not treated badly!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement