Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8th Amendment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    Whereas most pro-abolition campaigners will claim that they are interested in repealing the 8th to allow abortions in the cases of rape and foetal abnormality and that's what the referendum is about, their argument is easily undermined because if that were the case they would put those questions to the people and not a full frontal assault on the 8th amendment

No, because all but hardcore pro-lifers have decided that trying to regulate abortion through the constitution is a crazy endeavour. What will almost certainly happen is a straight repeal referendum, preceded by the publication of the legislation that would be enacted should the referendum pass, which would legalise abortion on the grounds of fatal foetal abnormality and possibly others. Would this leave the way open for a future government to further liberalise Irish abortion law. Yes, and proponents of the referendum will have to be upfront about this, pointing out this is how democracies work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

oscarBravo wrote: »
    "Liberal agenda", my hole.

Some of us recognise the fact that a woman who wants an abortion will procure one by whatever means necessary, and feel that that reality should be reflected in our laws instead of singing "kumbaya" as loudly as we can to drown out the shocking hypocrisy of exporting the problem and pretending that as a result it doesn't exist.

The same could be said for heroin addicts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

ardmacha wrote: »
    The same could be said for heroin addicts.

Yes, I support giving registered addicts medical grade heroin in a safe clinic.

Not sure what it has to do with the 8th amendment though.

Yes, I support giving registered addicts medical grade heroin in a safe clinic.

Not sure what it has to do with the 8th amendment though.
    As much as I disagree with him, your reply doesn't quite answer his point.

Safe clinics simply facilitate the administration of the drug. They don't supply the heroin, which remains illegal.

The weakness of taking a "people do it, therefore legalise it" approach is probably widely recognized.

Relying on fairly broad disregard for the law in order to repeal it is logically akin to legalising heroin in dependence blackspots, or responding to an outbreak of political corruption by decriminalising it. It's not a strong argument, is it?

Instead, the argument for abortion revolves around personal integrity and freedom.

It is straightforward: an independently living human body is the personal property of the owner, and others' claims over that body should be resisted in all but the most extreme circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭No Voter And Proud

As much as I disagree with him, your reply doesn't quite answer his point.

Safe clinics simply facilitate the administration of the drug. They don't supply the heroin, which remains illegal.

The weakness of taking a "people do it, therefore legalise it" approach is probably widely recognized.

Relying on fairly broad disregard for the law in order to repeal it is logically akin to legalising heroin in dependence blackspots, or responding to an outbreak of political corruption by decriminalising it. It's not a strong argument, is it?

Instead, the argument for abortion revolves around personal integrity and freedom.

It is straightforward: an independently living human body is the personal property of the owner, and others' claims over that body should be resisted in all but the most extreme circumstances.
    Interesting
    So independant living is the ground needed for control over your body?
    Is living in an old folks home independant?

Interesting
    So independant living is the ground needed for control over your body?
    Is living in an old folks home independant?
    An independently-living body = a body that is independently alive, i.e. not hooked-up to machines or humans.

Surely that is obvious.

Perhaps in your head.
    As a sentence it is clear as mud however.

That is my point: I think it shouldn't be illegal.

Still not much to do with the 8th amendment.

That is my point: I think it shouldn't be illegal.

Still not much to do with the 8th amendment.
    But you can see the fundamental flaw in the logic, surely?

Most Europeans would reject the extremes of Swiss banking secrecy, or Irish corporation tax, regardless of whether their compatriots can avail of these facilities abroad. Similarly, just because corruption laws are flouted and disregarded in tin-pot African republics, it doesn't mean they should be repealed.

A sovereign, democratic society simply upholds its principles within its own borders as best it can.

What needs to change in Ireland, is an extension of the freedom of our own bodies regardless of gender, as a core principle.

Mimicry is not a tenable policy for a civilised society.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Amnesty International advocating for the Abortion Industry and turning its back on the most vulnerable human life on this planet, unborn babies. An organisation in the guise of a Human Rights Defender calling for intentionally killing human life. George Orwell is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yawn. I'm not wasting 53 seconds on that.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Amnesty International advocating for the Abortion Industry and turning its back on the most vulnerable human life on this planet, unborn babies. An organisation in the guise of a Human Rights Defender calling for intentionally killing human life. George Orwell is alive and well.

The arrogance of the "pro-life" movement in a nutshell: if the world's foremost human rights organisation disagrees with them, then it's not a human rights organisation.

That's a pretty impressive refusal to even contemplate the possible validity of views other than your own.

The arrogance of the "pro-life" movement in a nutshell: if the world's foremost human rights organisation disagrees with them, then it's not a human rights organisation.

That's a pretty impressive refusal to even contemplate the possible validity of views other than your own.

A Human Rights organisation advocating for the 'right' to intentionally take human life.

Explain that one to me.

A Human Rights organisation advocating for the 'right' to intentionally take human life.

As you well know (but are pretending not to), no-one much beyond a subset of Christians even pretends to believe a recently implanted fertilized egg is a human life with rights equal to yours and mine.

And the Christians pretending to don't really, either, or they wouldn't have voted for access to abortion services for Irish people and information on same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

...abortion industry.
    ...abortion industry...
    ...abortion industry...
    ...abortion industry.
    ...abortion industry...
    ...abortion industry...
    ...abortion industry...
    ...Abortion Industry...

Please stop saying nonsense like this, it's dishonest.

Most terminations in total are now carried out by abortifacient pill which can in most cases be prescribed by the family doctor or by the local public health office. These days they usually use a drug licensed in Ireland and carried in pharmacies for the treatment of ulcers.

Most surgical terminations worldwide are carried out in public hospitals as a normal part of basic healthcare.
    In other cases like in the case of Planned Parenthood they are charities devoted to family planning and when there is a need in the area they provide terminations as well.
    And the last major category are social businesses like Marie Stopes who provide services at cost without making a profit.
    There's 99% of your "abortion industry" in three categories...none of which make a profit.

In fact guess where many of the charities that operate to offer assistance to Irish women accessing termination services get their money? Ordinary Irish people like me donating!
    And I'm very proud of that fact.

• Advertisement

cros13 wrote: »
    Please stop saying nonsense like this, it's dishonest.

Most terminations in total are now carried out by abortifacient pill which can in most cases be prescribed by the family doctor or by the local public health office. These days they usually use a drug licensed in Ireland and carried in pharmacies for the treatment of ulcers.

Most surgical terminations worldwide are carried out in public hospitals as a normal part of basic healthcare.
    In other cases like in the case of Planned Parenthood they are charities devoted to family planning and when there is a need in the area they provide terminations as well.
    And the last major category are social businesses like Marie Stopes who provide services at cost without making a profit.
    There's 99% of your "abortion industry" in three categories...none of which make a profit.

In fact guess where many of the charities that operate to offer assistance to Irish women accessing termination services get their money? Ordinary Irish people like me donating!
    And I'm very proud of that fact.

Nice.

Now, can someone explain why an organisation that prides itself in defending human rights is advocating for the intentional taking of human life?

Why doesn't Amnesty come clean and admit they're cheerleaders for the international abortion industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Why doesn't Amnesty come clean and admit they're cheerleaders for the international abortion industry?

Is that like International Rescue? Cool, where are the try-outs?

inocybe wrote: »
    Is that like International Rescue? Cool, where are the try-outs?

The gross failure to deflect from my question is speaking volumes about the morally defunct Amnesty International. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

The gross failure to deflect from my question is speaking volumes about the morally defunct Amnesty International. :)

If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Amnesty formerly advocated saving life, now it advocates taking it, a complete reversal of their values. My shame is that I once donated money to them :(

• Advertisement

Amnesty formerly advocated saving life, now it advocates taking it, a complete reversal of their values. My shame is that I once donated money to them :(

You're not alone there.

Amnesty has been hijacked by the abortion lobby, making it a laughing stock.

Underage girls being prostituted in India and women enslaved in Islamastan, yet Amnesty is prioritising privileged Westerners' access to killing their unborn daughters.

Warped on any level.

Explain that one to me.

I'm reminded of the debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham, when both men were asked what could change their mind. Nye: "evidence". Ham: "nothing".

Amnesty International value a woman's human rights above those of a zygote. For this, you both cry "shame". Just like David Quinn crying "shame" upon hearing that children's advocacy groups refused to buy into his lies about same-sex couples being bad for children.

Has it occurred to either of you to wonder why a human rights group would advocate for abortion?

Underage girls being prostituted in India and women enslaved in Islamastan, yet Amnesty is prioritising privileged Westerners' access to killing their unborn daughters.

Warped on any level.

"Amnesty should either conform to my personal morals or shut up."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

I'm reminded of the debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham, when both men were asked what could change their mind. Nye: "evidence". Ham: "nothing".

Given your views on the the marriage debate, I can see why Ham would appeal to you.
    Amnesty International value a woman's human rights above those of a zygote.

Zygotes are not at issue here, as far as I am aware morning after pills and the like are indeed available in Ireland.
    For this, you both cry "shame". Just like David Quinn crying "shame" upon hearing that children's advocacy groups refused to buy into his lies about same-sex couples being bad for children.

Please show me where David Quinn said same-sex couples were "bad" for children?

Has it occurred to either of you to wonder why a human rights group would advocate for abortion?

Way to dodge the oxymoron of a human rights organisation advocating for killing unborn life.

"Amnesty should either conform to my personal morals or shut up."

Morals? Amnesty?

Chance would be a fine thing.

"Amnesty should either conform to not killing babies/viable fetuses or shut up."
    Fixed that for you

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Good idea, lets see what examples Amnesty put forward to highlight the problem with current abortion legislation.

Source for quotes that follow.
    The report presents testimony from women who have undergone abortions abroad, some of whom suffered miscarriages but were forced to carry a dead or unviable foetus inside them for weeks in the futile hope they could get the health care they need in Ireland. Róisín was forced to carry a dead foetus for weeks because doctors wanted to be absolutely sure there was no foetal heartbeat. She told Amnesty International:
    “I wouldn’t be inclined to trust services for women in this country at the moment.”
    Lupe, who was carrying a foetus with no heartbeat for 14 weeks, told Amnesty International she had to travel to her home country of Spain for proper medical treatment:
    “I didn’t feel safe at all…I was feeling really scared because it became clear to me, that if any complication was raised, these people would let me die.”
    Carrying a dead foetus for weeks on end??:eek: How exactly is it immoral to suggest that shouldn't happen?:confused:
    It is not just women seeking abortions who are denied access to healthcare by the focus on the foetus. Health staff refused Rebecca H., who was gravely ill, a C-section for fear that it would harm her foetus. Instead, they forced her to endure 36 hours of labour saying their job was “to look after the baby, the baby comes first”. She told Amnesty International:
    “I would fear for my life to have another child in Ireland.”
    Not able to have a c-section?? And now the woman fears for her life to have another child in Ireland :(

Dr. Peter Boylan, an obstetrician, gynaecologist and former Master and Clinical Director of Ireland’s National Maternity Hospital told Amnesty International about the legal and ethical tightrope medical staff are forced to walk:
    “Under the [current law] we must wait until women become sick enough before we can intervene. How close to death do you have to be? There is no answer to that.”
    and a doctor stating that medical treatment may be withheld until a pregnant woman is 'sick enough'. Doesn't seem like 'best medical practices' that the pro-life people are always boasting about.

I'd love to know how Amnesty is now immoral for stating the above is not a good way to treat pregnant women.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Given your views on the the marriage debate, I can see why Ham would appeal to you.
    I'm at a loss as to how that made sense even inside your head.

There's nothing whatsoever about Ken Ham that appeals to me.
    Zygotes are not at issue here...
    You might want to explain that to those who argue that a fertilised egg has precisely the same human rights as a teenage rape victim.
    Please show me where David Quinn said same-sex couples were "bad" for children?
    I'm not re-arguing the referendum with you. You lost; get over it.
    Way to dodge the oxymoron of a human rights organisation advocating for killing unborn life.

An oxymoron is an apparent contradiction in terms. When you find an apparent contradiction, the first thing to do is check your premises.

Sadly - cf. Ken Ham - some people are utterly incapable of doing so.

• Advertisement

You may have confused Amnesty International with Amoebas Rights International. Amnesty defend human rights, not the rights of single-celled organisms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

You may have confused Amnesty International with Amoebas Rights International. Amnesty defend human rights, not the rights of single-celled organisms.

Foetuses are not "Amoebas" or "single-celled organisms."

Your ignorance is staggering, and the same can be said of those who "thanked" a serious contender for stupidest post of the year.

Your ignorance is staggering, and the same can be said of those who "thanked" a serious contender for stupidest post of the year.
    Amen to that.
    Foetuses at 22-24 weeks can potentially survive outside the womb. Single celled organisms could not, and come the time of implantation, a fertilized egg spends not much time as a single cell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

So you would agree with "on-demand" abortion prior to the foetal stage at approx 10 weeks?

The whole debate about whether or not a foetus is a human is another red herring.

The defensive denial of human identity to the foetus by the pro-choice side pre-supposes that if the foetus were human, it would have the right to occupy another human's body. Which is spectacularly daft anyway.

Of course it's a human. Would you tell a mother who has lost her unborn child that it wasn't a human? Get back to work, and forget those cells? Nonsense.

The argument is about women's freedom. Why must we try to overcomplicate it?

SW wrote: »
    Good idea, lets see what examples Amnesty put forward to highlight the problem with current abortion legislation.

Source for quotes that follow.

Carrying a dead foetus for weeks on end??:eek: How exactly is it immoral to suggest that shouldn't happen?:confused:

Not able to have a c-section?? And now the woman fears for her life to have another child in Ireland :(

and a doctor stating that medical treatment may be withheld until a pregnant woman is 'sick enough'. Doesn't seem like 'best medical practices' that the pro-life people are always boasting about.

I'd love to know how Amnesty is now immoral for stating the above is not a good way to treat pregnant women.

The "case studies" are an epic fail on the part of Amnesty International.

The "Ms Y" case study is basically arguing that a baby that is now almost 1 year old should have been aborted instead of delivered alive by C-section.

What kind of perverse so-called "human rights" organisation would make such a bizarre claim?

The case of "Rebecca H" is obviously not about abortion at all.

What a joke of a report.

Of course, they failed to mention this:

"A patient safety system, aimed at alerting health staff when a pregnant woman's condition is deteriorating, is not being operated properly in six out of seven maternity hospitals audited by the HSE."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/unit-where-savita-died-fails-safety-checks-test-30917914.html

It's things like that, more than anything to do with the 8th Amendment, that is putting the lives of women at risk.

A hopelessly biased joke of a report by a so-called "human rights" advocate that has clearly lost its way.

So you would agree with "on-demand" abortion prior to the foetal stage at approx 10 weeks?

I think you need to clarify first if you believe a foetus is an Amoeba.

There's no point in me debating with you if that is your belief.

I think you need to clarify first if you believe a foetus is an Amoeba.

There's no point in me debating with you if that is your belief.
    From start gestation to the end of week 9 gestation, it certainly isn't an amoeba - it is, however, a multicellular diploid eukaryote (i.e Embryo) and is certainly and scientifically factually not a foetus until at least week 10 gestation.

There is likewise no point in debating with you if you do not "believe" this scientific fact.

From start gestation to the end of week 9 gestation, it certainly isn't an amoeba - it is, however, a multicellular diploid eukaryote (i.e Embryo) and is certainly and scientifically factually not a foetus until at least week 10 gestation.

There is likewise no point in debating with you if you do not "believe" this scientific fact.

So you've since educated yourself since "thanking" the silly "amoeba" post.

No I don't support abortion before 10 weeks.

• Advertisement

So you've since educated yourself since "thanking" the silly "amoeba" post.

No I don't support abortion before 10 weeks.
    I have not furthered my education in the past hour, no. I do however still find that glib and sarcastic post that I rightly thanked quite amusing.

I take it that you believe a foetus exists prior to 10 weeks.

I have not furthered my education in the past hour, no. I do however still find that glib and sarcastic post that I rightly thanked quite amusing.

What's amusing is your attempt at trying to cover having liked such a stupid post.
    I take it that you believe a foetus exists prior to 10 weeks.

No. Then it's a human embryo, the starting point for a human life.

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The "case studies" are an epic fail on the part of Amnesty International.

The "Ms Y" case study is basically arguing that a baby that is now almost 1 year old should have been aborted instead of delivered alive by C-section.

What kind of perverse so-called "human rights" organisation would make such a bizarre claim?

The case of "Rebecca H" is obviously not about abortion at all.

What a joke of a report.

Of course, they failed to mention this:

"A patient safety system, aimed at alerting health staff when a pregnant woman's condition is deteriorating, is not being operated properly in six out of seven maternity hospitals audited by the HSE."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/unit-where-savita-died-fails-safety-checks-test-30917914.html

It's things like that, more than anything to do with the 8th Amendment, that is putting the lives of women at risk.

A hopelessly biased joke of a report by a so-called "human rights" advocate that has clearly lost its way.

With regards to the issues that I quoted in my post, do you have any problem with them? Do you think they are acceptable situations for women to go through in Ireland?

If you can read this, you're too close!

SW wrote: »
    With regards to the issues that I quoted in my post, do you have any problem with them? Do you think they are acceptable situations for women to go through in Ireland?

Regarding the case of "Lupe" - again this has nothing to do with the 8th Amendment. There was no unborn life to protect.

Whether or not her treatment was acceptable obviously depends on her specific medical situation, but it is common practice worldwide for the dead embryo or foetus (pre-18 weeks) to be left in the woman for weeks until there is a spontaneous abortion (and there are also alternative approaches - it is up to the judgement of the doctors):
    "THE DEAD BABY DEATH BEFORE 18 WEEKS [s7](missed abortion) If a mother's uterus is small for her gestational age, perhaps with a brownish vaginal discharge, suspect the death of her baby. Monitor the growth of her uterus carefully. If he is dead, it will not grow, and may even become smaller. Pregnancy tests become negative. Methods of detecting the fetal heartbeat vary in their sensitivity: ultrasound scanning detects it at 8 weeks, Doppler ultrasound at 10[nd]16 weeks, and an ordinary stethoscope at 20[nd]28 weeks.

THE DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS includes a normal pregnancy of shorter duration (wrong dates), a slow-leaking ectopic pregnancy, a false pregnancy, and fibroids.

MANAGEMENT. You can, if you wish do nothing for several weeks. Spontaneous abortion will inevitably follow. Alternatively:
    If her uterus is smaller than 10 weeks (a small [f41]orange), you can do a ''D and C', either using the ordinary method (16.2) or a Karman curette. Give her perioperative chloramphenicol and metronidazole (2.9) when you do this (one contributor considers this unnecessary). Dilate her cervix up to at least Hegar 10. If possible, ''prime' her cervix with prostaglandins beforehand. Either, (1) put a 0.5 mg tablet of prostaglandin E[,2] in her cervix, and repeat this 6-hourly for 24 hours. Or, (2) place 3 mg prostaglandin E[,2] vaginal tablets in her vagina 6 hourly. Or, (3) use a newer preparation, gemeprost (''Cervagem').

If you are using a Karman curette, dilate her cervix to 8 Hegar and then use a Number 8 Karman curette with a vacuum of up to 500 mm Hg. Continue until her uterus is empty, and you can feel her uterus tight round the curette.

If her uterus is larger than 10 weeks, don't attempt an ordinary ''D and C'. Instead, either use oxytocin and/or prostaglandins, see below. Or, dilate her uterus to 11 Hegar, and use a No 10 Karman curette, which is safe up to 12 weeks[md]but not beyond."
    http://www.meb.uni-bonn.de/dtc/primsurg/docbook/html/x5001.html

As I've already posted, the case of "Rebecca H" is obviously not about abortion at all and I see nothing wrong with her treatment.

I also believe that it was the correct course of action that "Ms Y" was not given an abortion and instead a live baby that is now almost a year old was delivered by C-section.

I also believe that it was the correct course of action that "Ms Y" was not given an abortion and instead a live baby that is now almost a year old was delivered by C-section.
    You seem to be placing undue relevance on the fact that a living baby has resulted from Miss Y's unwanted pregnancy, which I assume is intended as a sort of 'appeal to emotion': look at the cute little baby that all those nasty pro-choice Herods want done-in'.

Well, since the child is here now, it has to be embraced. But shouting-down any criticism of its entry into the world as unspeakable is tantamount to suggesting that if we had a time-machine, we should not undo the rape.

The maximisation of living offspring is the sole intention of the beasts of the land and the creatures of the sea. We humans know better than to sit in our own filth and reproduce as much as possible.

Certainly, if a mating pair of humans recklessly abandoned contraception and bore twenty children resulting in their own personal and economic ruin, they would still love every child and nobody would ever want to harm any of their young children. To harm them for having been born would be revolting.

But it is not equally revolting to countenance the prevention of their birth to begin with. Presumably you agree, otherwise you would be advocating humans going at it like rabbits, 24/7, and the prohibition of contraceptives.

tl;dr: Preventing a birth is not morally equivalent to undoing birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Whether or not her treatment was acceptable obviously depends on her specific medical situation, but it is common practice worldwide for the dead embryo or foetus (pre-18 weeks) to be left in the woman for weeks until there is a spontaneous abortion (and there are also alternative approaches - it is up to the judgement of the doctors):

http://www.meb.uni-bonn.de/dtc/primsurg/docbook/html/x5001.html
    That link is an absolute hoot, where did you dig it out from?
    It's some sort of manual for volunteer doctors going out to work in third world countries. This is from the preface :
    You may have had very little surgical experience and yet have to operate on severely ill patients. In an emergency you may even have to operate by the light of a hurricane lantern. The light will attract insects, and these will fall into the wound, but even so they are unlikely to influence the patient's recovery. From an illustration kindly contributed by WHO.

We write for: (1) General-duty doctors with only a year or two of surgical experience, responsible for all the patients clamouring for care in a district hospital. We tell you what to do, and what you could do, if there is no real hope of referring a patient to anyone else.

One thing it's not, though, is a manual of standard practice in western hospitals.

(I'm amazed that you can be so determined to distort reality to make it appear as you would like it to be! Is that a document provided by Iona or Youth Defence or do you just come from a long line of missionaries in your family? :D)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »
    That link is an absolute hoot, where did you dig it out from?
    It's some sort of manual for volunteer doctors going out to work in third world countries. This is from the preface :

One thing it's not, though, is a manual of standard practice in western hospitals.

(I'm amazed that you can be so determined to distort reality to make it appear as you would like it to be! Is that a document provided by Iona or Youth Defence or do you just come from a long line of missionaries in your family? :D)

You are wrong.

dp8mfc.jpg

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/1001/p1243.html

You're the one distorting reality.

You seem to be placing undue relevance on the fact that a living baby has resulted from Miss Y's unwanted pregnancy, which I assume is intended as a sort of 'appeal to emotion': look at the cute little baby that all those nasty pro-choice Herods want done-in'.

Well, since the child is here now, it has to be embraced. But shouting-down any criticism of its entry into the world as unspeakable is tantamount to suggesting that if we had a time-machine, we should not undo the rape.

The maximisation of living offspring is the sole intention of the beasts of the land and the creatures of the sea. We humans know better than to sit in our own filth and reproduce as much as possible.

Certainly, if a mating pair of humans recklessly abandoned contraception and bore twenty children resulting in their own personal and economic ruin, they would still love every child and nobody would ever want to harm any of their young children. To harm them for having been born would be revolting.

But it is not equally revolting to countenance the prevention of their birth to begin with. Presumably you agree, otherwise you would be advocating humans going at it like rabbits, 24/7, and the prohibition of contraceptives.

tl;dr: Preventing a birth is not morally equivalent to undoing birth.

Yes, the fact that there is a baby alive today which would not be if Amnesty had their way is extremely relevant and can't be ignored.

The rest of your post is rambling that is irrelevant to the debate.

Yes, the fact that there is a baby alive today which would not be if Amnesty had their way is extremely relevant and can't be ignored.
    There would be babies alive today if condoms were prohibited.

Should condoms be prohibited?

There would be babies alive today if condoms were prohibited.

Should condoms be prohibited?
    Big difference and you know it
    Life is not extinguished if a condom prevents it

Big difference and you know it
    Life is not extinguished if a condom prevents it
    You're missing the point and you know it.

There would be babies alive today. Cute, merry, delicious little babies in bonnets and wellington-boots romping in meadows.

All those would-be babies cast out of existence by contraceptives.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement