Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8th Amendment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

So was there or was there not a trial and conviction?

I don't know, do you? Do you have any evidence that she wasn't raped?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

130Kph wrote: »
    When a woman is coerced in this jurisdiction to remain pregnant against her self-determination & fierce indignant opposition, can you explain how you reason that to yourself ethically i.e. focusing only on the woman and putting aside concerns about the foetus here - as your views on the foetus are completely clear to everybody?

I’m interested in your views of the body-integrity of an individual in such a situation.

See, here's where we differ.

Mother and baby are important in my view. With the duty of being pregnant comes the responsibility to do no intentional harm to her unborn, defenceless child.

inocybe wrote: »
    I don't know, do you? Do you have any evidence that she wasn't raped?

No trial, no conviction? For clarity, is this the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Mother and baby are important in my view. With the duty of being pregnant comes the responsibility to do no intentional harm to her unborn, defenceless child.

Is being pregnant a duty when a woman is raped? She didn't choose to have sex. She was forced to. Is her unintended, unwanted pregnancy still her duty then?

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

So was there or was there not a trial and conviction?
    would proof of a conviction make any difference to whether an abortion should have been permitted? If not, then what relevance does it have to the discussion?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

But that is obvious. There's nothing new there - its a given. Its your viewpoint and there's no confusion or ambiguity about it.

I'm asking you to step outside your familiar stance and address the question I asked you because I genuinely don't know what your answer might be. So I'll restate:-

Q. When a woman is coerced in this jurisdiction to remain pregnant against her self-determination & fierce indignant opposition, can you explain how you reason that to yourself ethically i.e. focussing only on the woman and putting aside concerns about the foetus here - as your views on the foetus are completely clear to everybody?

I’m interested in your views of the body-integrity of an individual in such a situation.

If you don't want to answer, that's fine.

No trial, no conviction? For clarity, is this the case?

this is a bizarre road you're heading down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

How the f*ck can we search for a rape case involving Ms. Y when we don't even know her real name?!

Is being pregnant a duty when a woman is raped? She didn't choose to have sex. She was forced to. Is her unintended, unwanted pregnancy still her duty then?

Her innocent baby should not be exterminated or harmed in any way.

SW wrote: »
    would proof of a conviction make any difference to whether an abortion should have been permitted? If not, then what relevance does it have to the discussion?

Absolutely not, as you well know.

The reason for my basic questioning stems from the apparent certainty of a rape occurring in the first place. Hence my query about a trail and/or conviction.

Do you know of any such trial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

How the f*ck can we search for a rape case involving Ms. Y when we don't even know her real name?!

That's why she's a perfect example of how the 8th amendment works, nobody knows who she is. If she was an actual real human being, it wouldn't work, because every parent in the country would have her on a plane to the UK so fast it would make her head spin.

And then they'd come back and vote to keep the 8th amendment, because something something Holy Catholic Ireland.

But that is obvious. There's nothing new there - its a given. Its your viewpoint and there's no confusion or ambiguity about it.

I'm asking you to step outside your familiar stance and address the question I asked you because I genuinely don't know what your answer might be. So I'll restate:-

Q. When a woman is coerced in this jurisdiction to remain pregnant against her self-determination & fierce indignant opposition, can you explain how you reason that to yourself ethically i.e. focussing only on the woman and putting aside concerns about the foetus here - as your views on the foetus are completely clear to everybody?

If you don't want to answer, that's fine.

The body integrity of the mother and that of her unborn baby should both be respected and no intentional harm should come to either.

The body integrity of the mother and that of her unborn baby should both be respected and no intentional harm should come to either.

But if the foetus dies and the woman ends up a physical and mental wreck, c'est la vie.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mother and baby are important in my view. With the duty of being pregnant...

It's abundantly clear that the mother is important to you only in her role as an incubator.

Duty of being pregnant, indeed.

Keep posting.

The reason for my basic questioning stems from the apparent certainty of a rape occurring in the first place. Hence my query about a trail and/or conviction.

this is so far beyond ridiculous. She was an asylum seeker! That generally means someone from a country without law and order, or where minorities are oppressed. What the hell are you talking about trials for, I don't understand what kind of bubble you must be living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Are you butthurt that the Magdalenekazetten are closed?

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

So an irrelevant tangent it is then.

If you can read this, you're too close!

I don't understand what kind of bubble you must be living in.

Black Menorca is presumably an actual Irish citizen, which means he/she and his/her family have access to the UK's abortion services.

But immigrants, mental patients and prisoners shouldn't have the same access, because Saint Brigid.

As I expected, you can’t even let your mind even go there. What a disturbing phenomenon to observe.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As I expected, you can’t even let your mind even go there. What a disturbing phenomenon to observe.

"She's only pregnant. That's what she's there for. She'll live."

SW wrote: »
    So an irrelevant tangent it is then.

No, I think it is relevant. If we put another mad clause in the constitution by referendum saying abortion is OK in the case of rape, there will be plenty of people like Black Menorca jumping in to say that without a rape conviction there can be no abortion. Of course, even in this jurisdiction a rape conviction takes more than 42 weeks, so no abortions for rape victims, hurrah!

We need to remove it completely, and not amend or replace it.

No, I think it is relevant. If we put another mad clause in the constitution by referendum saying abortion is OK in the case of rape, there will be plenty of people like Black Menorca jumping in to say that without a rape conviction there can be no abortion. Of course, even in this jurisdiction a rape conviction takes more than 42 weeks, so no abortions for rape victims, hurrah!

I was thinking the same thing. There will be inquisitions about what she was wearing that night, was she asking for it.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's abundantly clear that the mother is important to you only in her role as an incubator.

Duty of being pregnant, indeed.

Keep posting.

Remind the class. Which one of us is advocating for taking unborn life on Irish soil?

this is so far beyond ridiculous. She was an asylum seeker! That generally means someone from a country without law and order, or where minorities are oppressed. What the hell are you talking about trials for, I don't understand what kind of bubble you must be living in.

No trial, no conviction. Thank you.

Are you butthurt that the Magdalenekazetten are closed?

Don't get that one, though I assume its an attempt at a slur. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

Don't sweat is bud. I'm not that important. Seriously.

Are you advocating for speed trials in cases of rape?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I was thinking the same thing. There will be inquisitions about what she was wearing that night, was she asking for it.

Presumably there would have to be some sort of Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act 'panel' to adjudicate on the rape claim? And the detail of how that panel would operate would have to be inserted into the Constitution...

I said upthread that this sort of piecemeal amendment of the Constitution was a non-runner because I hadn't heard any politicians explicitly advocating it. Well I heard one one radio the other day: Leo Varadkar. So now I'm not so sure...

I am advocating for abortion. I am pro-abortion. I am typing slowly so that you will not misunderstand me.

Presumably there would have to be some sort of Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act 'panel' to adjudicate on the rape claim? And the detail of how that panel would operate would have to be inserted into the Constitution...

I said upthread that this sort of piecemeal amendment of the Constitution was a non-runner because I hadn't heard any politicians explicitly advocating it. Well I heard one one radio the other day: Leo Varadkar. So now I'm not so sure...

Absolutely not.

No baby should be intentionally killed in genuine cases of rape.

• Advertisement

I am advocating for abortion. I am pro-abortion. I am typing slowly so that you will not misunderstand me.

I got that 20 pages ago. :)

Which one of us is advocating for taking unborn life on Irish soil?

Usually the pregnant woman would be on a bed or table indoors, not actually in contact with Irish soil.

Unless we amend the constitution to make it a condition of abortion, I suppose, that some part of her be touching Irish soil. It would not be much crazier than what we have in the constitution now.

And how many women who have been raped will put themselves through a 'panel' adjudicating on their rape. It makes me feel sick just to think of it.

No baby should be intentionally killed in genuine cases of rape.

This would be the mental part of the "physical and mental wreck" judicial opinion.

I got that 20 pages ago. :)

So why are you still asking dumb questions like this:

Don't sweat is bud. I'm not that important. Seriously.

Agreed. I asked you a simple question.

You are unwilling to answer it, for an obvious reason. No Big deal.

And how many women who have been raped will put themselves through a 'panel' adjudicating on their rape.

None, hopefully.

Agreed. I asked you a simple question.

You are unwilling to answer it, for an obvious reason. No Big deal.

Life's too short to get hung up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And how many women who have been raped will put themselves through a 'panel' adjudicating on their rape. It makes me feel sick just to think of it.

If you are going to legalise abortion in rape/incest cases without introducing a de facto liberal abortion regime, I'm afraid you'd have to do something like this. But it would be close to unworkable in practice you would have to think. Does anyone know of a jurisdiction where abortion in cases of rape/incest was legalised without a broader liberalisation of the law. Curious as to how that would/could work in practice.

None, hopefully.

Agreed. They should all have the same access to abortion services that we voted all middle class people should have back in 1992.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

None, hopefully.

Exactly why they go to the UK at the moment. But it's OK to be a hypocrite and let them get abortions there as long as little old catholic Ireland can pretend to be abortion free just to show that we can control women here in the eyes of the bible belt of the USA.

None, hopefully.

Hopefully they'd find more compassion from women on web

traprunner wrote: »
    Exactly why they go to the UK at the moment. But it's OK to be a hypocrite and let them get abortions there as long as little old catholic Ireland can pretend to be abortion free just to show that we can control women here in the eyes of the bible belt of the USA.

All we can do is keep Ireland free from the horrors of the abortion industry and we've done a fine job as a nation. Something to be really proud of.

Does anyone know of a jurisdiction where abortion in cases of rape/incest was legalised without a broader liberalisation of the law.

Narnia? Seriously, who cares? Irish women already have abortion on demand for the price of a city break.

We are only talking about immigrants, prisoners, mental patients and the very rare unfortunates like Savita Halappanavar, that some on the pro-life side say should have had an abortion to save her life anyhow. Fussing about "opening the floodgates" is ridiculous: thousands of abortions happen every year regardless.

Narnia? Seriously, who cares? Irish women already have abortion on demand for the price of a city break.

We are only talking about immigrants, prisoners, mental patients and the very rare unfortunates like Savita Halappanavar, that some on the pro-life side say should have had an abortion to save her life anyhow. Fussing about "opening the floodgates" is ridiculous: thousands of abortions happen every year regardless.

When will the abortion lobby allow Savita rest in peace?

All we can do is keep Ireland free from the horrors of the abortion industry and we've done a fine job as a nation. Something to be really proud of.

We should have a competition to see who is the biggest hypocrite so that they can get an award and be the proudest.

Agreed, except for the price of the city break part - the best part of 1000 euros would be some city break. It's enough to cause severe hardship for many, which of course only delights people like BM

All we can do is keep Ireland free from the horrors of the abortion industry and we've done a fine job as a nation

Well, if you ignore the 4000 or so abortions of Irish unborns happening every year, yeah!

Well done pro-life movement! Preventing abortions for prisoners, the mentally ill and asylum seekers in Ireland since 1983!

When will the abortion lobby allow Savita rest in peace?

When we repeal the 8th, which killed her.

• Advertisement

Well, if you ignore the 4000 or so abortions of Irish unborns happening every year, yeah!

Well done pro-life movement! Preventing abortions for prisoners, the mentally ill and asylum seekers in Ireland since 1983!

But those 4000 are ok because while they are Irish women travelling to the UK and back for abortions they aren't really Irish abortions. See, totally and tropically illogical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement