Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8th Amendment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I do think a true tv debate where these "pro-life" eejits cant hide or duck and dive would be hilarious. They struggle so horribly to defend what they spew.

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

So, would you allow Downs Syndrome babies to be aborted if the mother requested it, at any time during the pregnancy

I would allow the woman to abort for any reason she wishes up to viability.

What relevance is that with regards to the post you quoted?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I do think a true tv debate where these "pro-life" eejits cant hide or duck and dive would be hilarious. They struggle so horribly to defend what they spew.
    Yes, remember Peter Mathews, on V Browne after Savita Halappanavar, iirc, admitting (how could he not?) that he would ensure his own daughter had a choice that he would prevent others having, via the law on FFA etc - and when pushed by VB came out with "Well we all have to die some time, and men used to die in the mines you know!" :eek:

Bring it on!!

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Godge wrote: »
    Up to 22 weeks, yes. See below.

And beyond 22 weeks? Would you deny the woman her request?

SW wrote: »
    I would allow the woman to abort for any reason she wishes up to viability.

What relevance is that with regards to the post you quoted?

You would condone killing the baby at 34 weeks gestation and then delivering her dead body?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

You would condone killing the baby at 34 weeks gestation and then delivering her dead body?

Seriously, for the sake of decent debate and all of our sanity would you for gods sake go off and inform yourself before spouting nonsence.

That is not at all what s/he said, and if you had any clue what you were talking about, you'd know that.

:confused::confused:

Is there anywhere in the world this is legal?

:confused::confused:

Is there anywhere in the world this is legal?

So if a mother sought to have her Downs Syndrome baby aborted, intentionally killed at the hands of an abortionist at 34 weeks, you would deny her request?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

So if a mother sought to have her Downs Syndrome baby aborted, intentionally killed at the hands of an abortionist at 34 weeks, you would deny her request?

What are you on about? A viable foetus at 34 weeks would be delivered alive. My first child was delivered at 39 weeks, as per notes the decision was made to terminate the pregnancy because of potential danger to health and life. She wasn't killed at the hands of an abortionist, she was delivered by my consultant. Why do you think abortion=intentionally killed? Don't answer, all prolifers are absolutely obsessed with later term abortions/terminations/killing the disabled babies/abortionists/the abortion industry.
    You do know because of the eighth amendment abortion in Ireland is available throughout pregnancy, even after a due date, because of the constitutional position? Or does a woman magically not have a threat to her life because of pregnancy after a certain point?

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    What are you on about? A viable foetus at 34 weeks would be delivered alive. My first child was delivered at 39 weeks, as per notes the decision was made to terminate the pregnancy because of potential danger to health and life. She wasn't killed at the hands of an abortionist, she was delivered by my consultant. Why do you think abortion=intentionally killed? Don't answer, all prolifers are absolutely obsessed with later term abortions/terminations/killing the disabled babies/abortionists/the abortion industry.
    You do know because of the eighth amendment abortion in Ireland is available throughout pregnancy, even after a due date, because of the constitutional position? Or does a woman magically not have a threat to her life because of pregnancy after a certain point?

But if you had your way and a woman turned up at a Marie Stopes outfit, cash in had, directly requesting her DS baby to be eliminated, would you deny her?

But if you had your way and a woman turned up at a Marie Stopes outfit, cash in had, directly requesting her DS baby to be eliminated, would you deny her?

What is your obsession with killing viable babies?

You seem to be the only one suggesting it. Are you in favour?

FFS

Can you point me to which Marie Stopes clinics offer the termination of pregnancy at 34 weeks gestation? Why do you use the term 'eliminated' when I expressly said in Ireland, which has no Marie Stopes clinics offering any abortion services, babies are delivered before 40 weeks gestation and aren't eliminated?
    Anyway Down's syndrome can be detected way before 34 weeks anyway. You can get bloods done in a new test in the first trimester. If a woman had an abortion at 12 weeks because she didn't want to remain pregnant because the diagnosis was markers for Down's is that different to turning up at your hypothetical Marie Stopes clinic at 34 weeks, cash in hand, wanting to have an abortion on request?

FFS

Also obsessed with Marie Stopes. Did you know the CEO earns 500k a year or something. :rolleyes:

After 24 weeks, in the UK, allow abortions are required to be carried out in an NHS hospital. So the scenario you put forward is illegal.

And the number of cases of DS related abortions in the UK is 0.22% of all abortions. Would it not be more germaine to the discussion to examine the majority of abortions rather a sliver of them?

FFS

Still no direct answer. Why, I wonder.

• Advertisement

Can you point me to which Marie Stopes clinics offer the termination of pregnancy at 34 weeks gestation? Why do you use the term 'eliminated' when I expressly said in Ireland, which has no Marie Stopes clinics offering any abortion services, babies are delivered before 40 weeks gestation and aren't eliminated?
    Anyway Down's syndrome can be detected way before 34 weeks anyway. You can get bloods done in a new test in the first trimester. If a woman had an abortion at 12 weeks because she didn't want to remain pregnant because the diagnosis was markers for Down's is that different to turning up at your hypothetical Marie Stopes clinic at 34 weeks, cash in hand, wanting to have an abortion on request?

So is that a no? You would deny her wish?

After 24 weeks, in the UK, allow abortions are required to be carried out in an NHS hospital. So the scenario you put forward is illegal.

And the number of cases of DS related abortions in the UK is 0.22% of all abortions. Would it not be more germaine to the discussion to examine the majority of abortions rather a sliver of them?

So, you support the illegality of providing an abortion of a viable DS baby at 34 weeks gestation and denying an adult woman her direct request?

So is that a no? You would deny her wish?

Her wish is illegal. I suspect you are focused on late term abortion for a reason-and that is because you see a difference between abortion at six weeks, abortion at 20 weeks and abortion at 34 weeks. Like most people.

Would you like to comment on the vast majority of abortions that take place before 12 weeks in a legal setting, such as Marie Stopes clinic (I hear the CEO makes 500k a year!!)?

Did you ask me a question?

When, I wonder?

Maybe you would get better answers if you had better questions. Or any question at all.

So, you support the illegality of providing an abortion of a viable DS baby at 34 weeks gestation and denying an adult woman her direct request?
    :confused:

it's illegal for Marie Stopes to perform abortions beyond 24 weeks.

Carrying out an abortion at 34 weeks does not mean the foetus/child will die as it developed enough to survive outside the womb. I would support the woman terminating the pregnancy. The child will be able to survive a delivery at that stage.

• Advertisement

Her wish is illegal. I suspect you are focused on late term abortion for a reason-and that is because you see a difference between abortion at six weeks, abortion at 20 weeks and abortion at 34 weeks. Like most people.

Would you like to comment on the vast majority of abortions that take place before 12 weeks in a legal setting, such as Marie Stopes clinic (I hear the CEO makes 500k a year!!)?

Still refusing to answer. Speaks volumes.

Do you view such illegality as a denial of a woman's bodily integrity? If not, why not.

:confused:

it's illegal for Marie Stopes to perform abortions beyond 24 weeks.

Carrying out an abortion at 34 weeks does not mean the foetus/child will die as it developed enough to survive outside the womb. I would support the woman terminating the pregnancy. The child will be able to survive a delivery at that stage.

If the mother asks for the baby to be intentionally killed in the womb at 34 weeks, it is denied in many countries. Do you view this as acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Do you view such illegality as a denial of a woman's bodily integrity? If not, why not.

You should try to actually read the posts.

After 24 weeks - it is done for medical purposes. Rarely. Very bloody rarely.

As to your hypothetical 34 week old foetus that has never fcuking happened - it would be aborted. Alive. Because it's completely viable.

NO woman will wait til 34 weeks then decide to have an abortion.

All you're doing here is presenting absolutely ridiculous scenarios so that when people respond, you can say "lol but you said you value bodily integrity, you're a liar."

We see your agenda. Now please move on and speak about things that have a distinct possibility of happening.

The woman wouldn't go to Marie Stopes in Ireland. There is no Marie Stopes clinic in Ireland.
    And yes, it is a violation of bodily integrity to force a woman to remain pregnant against her wishes, at any stage of pregnancy. At 34 weeks any woman should be able to abort a pregnancy. Just not 'at the hands of an abortionist', but in a hospital, where the baby can receive the necessary care on delivery..
    Still no answer on the large number of abortions that take place before 34 weeks. Speaks volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If the mother asks for the baby to be intentionally killed in the womb at 34 weeks, it is denied in many countries. Do you view this as acceptable?

sw already very clearly stated that he agrees with abortion, up to the point where the foetus is viable.

You should try to actually read the posts.

After 24 weeks - it is done for medical purposes. Rarely. Very bloody rarely.

As to your hypothetical 34 week old foetus that has never fcuking happened - it would be aborted. Alive. Because it's completely viable.

NO woman will wait til 34 weeks then decide to have an abortion.

All you're doing here is presenting absolutely ridiculous scenarios so that when people respond, you can say "lol but you said you value bodily integrity, you're a liar."

We see your agenda. Now please move on and speak about things that have a distinct possibility of happening.

No one ifs forcing you to answer. It's ok.

sw already very clearly stated that he agrees with abortion, up to the point where the foetus is viable.

And if the woman seeks her baby to be killed in the womb before delivery? Is refusal a denial of her bodily integrity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

K-9 wrote: »
    On the suicide thing, I just can't see how you can make a mother go the full term and give birth. Seriously conorh91, would you be comfortable with forcibly detaining a pregnant woman in a higher security psychiatric ward like that?
    There are plenty of clinical practices that occur in hospital settings which I'd find uncomfortable and harrowing. I'm not necessarily saying there should never be abortions in Irish hospitals, even in cases of suicidal intent. I have a fairly open mind on that, but at the moment I am concerned both about a lack of evidence, and the personal testimony of women who have regretted their decision to have an abortion, which in some cases they probably had no capacity to make.

For example, I find it incredible that there is an Irishwoman only 7 years older than myself, who was taken to England by a social worker for an abortion she now regrets, and apparently spends every day grieving for. That woman, of course, is Miss C, who rarely gets a mention despite the trauma she apparently endures on a daily basis.

I'm not trying to goad people into accepting my concerns lest they be daubed as sexist or fundamentalist, which unfortunately is what I see on this thread. I'm just asking people not to jump to conclusions, and to recognize the sincere concerns many ordinary, well-meaning, non-sexist irish people have about suicide, capacity and abortion.

Worth noting that all the doctors, with the exception of Dr King, are signatories of the Dublin Declaration and firmly in the pro-life camp.
    It's certainly worth mentioning, but I can understand their specific interest in responding to Amnsety, since they have been more vocal than other obstetricians, and are therefore in greater danger of having their reputations tarnished. For all we know, the more reticent obstetricians and gynecologists may be in agreement with them, because it's difficult to know what to make of the latter cohort's failure to either agree or to contradict.
    It seems Rhona has so much time to advocate for a change to the Constitutional situation, one may wonder about her dedication to keeping her hospital clean and sterile.
    Although we share similar concerns about abortion, I have to say I find your comments about Dr Mahony inappropriate. Why are you referring to her by her first name, and harping back to how clean and untidy her hospital is?

If I didn't give people the benefit of the doubt, I'd say there's a whiff of sexism off it.

My understanding is that the child would have to be delivered then killed to accomdate the woman. This is infanticide. It has a 98% chance of survival at that stage.

How many cases have occurred though? Is it enough to warrant it being pushed to the front of the discussion regarding abortion? Surely the other 99.78% (DS abortions account for 0.22% of UK abortions, though we don't know if any are at the 34 week stage) of abortions are more relevant?

And if the woman seeks her baby to be killed in the womb before delivery? Is refusal a denial of her bodily integrity?

How would it be a denial of her bodily integrity? If the baby is delivered the mother has no obligations to it whatsoever. Miss Y never had any interest in the baby she delivered.

Anyway, could you tell us which Marie Stopes clinics, in Ireland or elsewhere, agree to stop the foetus' heartbeat at 34 weeks and have it delivered by an abortionist?

• Advertisement

conorh91 wrote: »
    It's certainly worth mentioning, but I can understand their specific interest in responding to Amnsety, since they have been more vocal than other obstetricians, and are therefore in greater danger of having their reputations tarnished. For all we know, the more reticent obstetricians and gynecologists may be in agreement with them, because it's difficult to know what to make of the latter cohort's failure to either agree or to contradict.

All we know is that a group of pro-life doctors objected to Amnestys report.

As I said before, it would have more interesting if a non partisan group of doctors had signed the objection.

My understanding is that the child would have to be delivered then killed to accomdate the woman. This is infanticide. It has a 98% chance of survival at that stage.

How many cases have occurred though? Is it enough to warrant it being pushed to the front of the discussion regarding abortion? Surely the other 99.78% (DS abortions account for 0.22% of UK abortions, though we don't know if any are at the 34 week stage) of abortions are more relevant?

You'd like to deflect on to other scenarios for sure. I don't blame you.

Partial birth abortions. you know the ones. Where the baby's body is delivered apart from the head and the brain is suctioned out and the skull collapses.

2,000 such procedures happen in America each year.

Do you believe denying such a procedure is disrespecting the woman's wishes?

How would it be a denial of her bodily integrity? If the baby is delivered the mother has no obligations to it whatsoever. Miss Y never had any interest in the baby she delivered.

Anyway, could you tell us which Marie Stopes clinics, in Ireland or elsewhere, agree to stop the foetus' heartbeat at 34 weeks and have it delivered by an abortionist?

This is my hypothetical, that the abortion lobby here have been dancing around for three or four pages now.

Very interesting to observe, my little experiment.

The
    Although we share similar concerns about abortion, I have to say I find your comments about Dr Mahony inappropriate. Why are you referring to her by her first name, and harping back to how clean and untidy her hospital is?

If I didn't give people the benefit of the doubt, I'd say there's a whiff of sexism off it.

Rhona should focus on day to day fundamentals, instead of shilling for repealing the 8th.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1212/666412-holles-street-rotunda/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Very interesting to observe, my little experiment.

I'm sure it's utterly fascinating to exactly one participant in the thread.

To the rest of us, it's an exercise in watching you dishonestly pretend not to know the answers to your rather silly questions.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm sure it's utterly fascinating to exactly one participant in the thread.

To the rest of us, it's an exercise in watching you dishonestly pretend not to know the answers to your rather silly questions.

But of course. :)

As I said before, it would have more interesting if a non partisan group of doctors had signed the objection.
    Well I was more interested by this part of your statement: You are...
    ...skeptical of their claims since there aren't both pro-life and pro-choice (to avoid bias from one side or the other) doctors signing the letter.

Firstly, we don't know that these doctors are pro-life. It is possible to reject a clinical reason for abortion whilst advancing an ethical basis for abortion (in fact, would not most pro-choice people reject a reliance on clinical approaches?)

Secondly, I don't see how you can be skeptical without knowing whether the remaining members of their faculty agree or disagree with them. They are silent. No agreement, and no contradiction.

You'd like to deflect on to other scenarios for sure. I don't blame you.
    somewhat amusing comment considering we're discussing abortions that are purely hypothetical so far.
    Partial birth abortions. you know the ones. Where the baby's body is delivered apart from the head and the brain is suctioned out and the skull collapses.

2,000 such procedures happen in America each year.

Do you believe denying such a procedure is disrespecting the woman's wishes?

Do you have a link to show that 2,000 late term abortions happen at 34 weeks each year in the US? All the stats I can find group all late terms as >20, >21 or >24.

You lot dont like answering. Whats that about glass houses and stones?

• Advertisement

Rhona should focus on day to day fundamentals, instead of shilling for repealing the 8th.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1212/666412-holles-street-rotunda/

Similar issues at the Rotunda. What's your opinion of 'Sam'?

You love getting answers but not giving. Says a lot.

Menorca how on earth can you harp about bodily integrity when 24 hours you advocated 24 hour monitoring to ensure the baby is born regardless off the mothers wishes.

somewhat amusing comment considering we're discussing abortions that are purely hypothetical so far.

Do you have a link to show that 2,000 late term abortions happen at 34 weeks each year in the US? All the stats I can find group all late terms as >20, >21 or >24.

Still deflecting I see. I never said all 2,000 occur at 34 weeks. Google is your friend. But it does happen.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2003/10/did_i_violate_the_partialbirth_abortion_ban.html

Now are you ready to answer this time? If not just say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

...skeptical of their claims since there aren't both pro-life and pro-choice (to avoid bias from one side or the other) doctors signing the letter.

Firstly, we don't know that these doctors are pro-life. It is possible to reject a clinical reason for abortion whilst advancing an ethical basis for abortion (in fact, would not most pro-choice people reject a reliance on clinical approaches?)

Secondly, I don't see how you can be skeptical without knowing whether the remaining members of their faculty agree or disagree with them. They are silent. No agreement, and no contradiction.

All but one of the signatories were also signatories to the Youth Defence-organised "Dublin Declaration". I think that's reason enough to believe they're anti-choice.

DP

• Advertisement

Similar issues at the Rotunda.

Indeed.

All doctors aside from one are signatories of the Dublin Declaration. Any information I can find on doctors that signed the declaration indicate a group of doctors that align with conservative Christian groups and/or pro-life groups.
    How can I be skeptical about the opinion of the Irish medical community with only a handful of pro-lfe doctors speaking against Amnesty? It's because only one side of the abortion debate has made their opinion known. I'm therefore skeptical that it is representative of the entire/majority of medical community.

DP

Debt Protection?

Still deflecting I see. I never said all 2,000 occur at 34 weeks. Google is your friend. But it does happen.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2003/10/did_i_violate_the_partialbirth_abortion_ban.html

Now are you ready to answer this time? If not just say so.
    any chance you could cease with the frequent shifting of the goalposts?

we were discussing abortion at 34 weeks. I gave my opinion as a follow up asked how numerous were the instances of abortion at 34 weeks.

You subsequently mentioned partial birth abortions and that 2,000 happen yearly in the US. It now seems that you're expanding the discussion to abortions >20 weeks rather than the original 34. I can only surmise that you, much like myself, were unable to find any stats on abortions at 34 weeks.

Anywho, to answer for about the 5th or 6th time in 24 hours, I support free access to abortion (regardless of reason) until the foetus is viable.

All but one of the signatories were also signatories to the Youth Defence-organised "Dublin Declaration". I think that's reason enough to believe they're anti-choice.
    Youth Defence did not organize the symposium that led to the Dublin declaration.

Even if that were true, it would not detract from the clinical opinions of accredited experts. Many well-respected experts address civic society groups, trade unions, and political parties; even to make critical observations.
    Any information I can find on doctors that signed the declaration indicate a group of doctors that align with conservative Christian groups and/or pro-life groups.
    Would you mind sharing that information here, please?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement