Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8th Amendment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Absolutely.
    Even when the unborn is directly targeted? How is that different from targeting the born?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Stay classy.

When I'm up against a mentality that believes a suicidal teenager who's been raped by her father should be forced to carry a pregnancy to term, to the extent of incarceration if necessary, I'm not in the ha'penny place when it comes to staying classy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

lazygal wrote: »
    Even when the unborn is directly targeted? How is that different from targeting the born?

The intent is to save the mother's life from a direct physical threat.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    When I'm up against a mentality that believes a suicidal teenager who's been raped by her father should be forced to carry a pregnancy to term, to the extent of incarceration if necessary, I'm not in the ha'penny place when it comes to staying classy.

I don't believe killing her innocent unborn baby can ever be justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭am946745

What you are saying is the wedge always used by Pro-Choice.. Those circumstances are not that of 99.9999 percent of women who abort.

As horrific as the case is. The bottom line is that circumstances don't determine the objective good of a human being that exists from conception and has intrinsic value that is not given by anyone. Once we create laws that devalue the objective value or worth of the person then we no longer have any principles. If we can't respect human life then we are doom as a race.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

am946745 wrote: »
    What you are saying is the wedge always used by Pro-Choice.. Those circumstances are not that of 99.9999 percent of women who abort.
    No, they are not. It's an extreme example chosen to show that there is no circumstance too horrific for the po-faced attitude that a woman has a duty to shut up and stay pregnant.
    As horrific as the case is. The bottom line is that circumstances don't determine the objective good of a human being that exists from conception and has intrinsic value that is not given by anyone.
    That's idea that a fertilised egg has the same value rights as an actual person is a truly ridiculous basis for denying a woman her bodily integrity.

As horrific as the case is. The bottom line is that circumstances don't determine the objective good of a human being that exists from conception and has intrinsic value that is not given by anyone. Once we create laws that devalue the objective value or worth of the person then we no longer have any principles. If we can't respect human life then we are doom as a race.
    I stilll don't understand why its ok to directly target the unborn because someone else's life is at risk. Why does the right to life of a foetus depend on a woman's life not being at risk? At what risk to life does the ability to kill the unborn kick in? 1%, 50%, real probable and substantial or 100% risk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

If you had a school where the curriculum or style of teaching caused that a small percentage of children were left behind, and by the end of the year, were at a much lower level than their peers, would you support changing the style/curriculum? Or would you just call it a wedge and pretend that those children weren't being failed by the school's system?

Are you against treatment for some very rare cancers, because 99% of people won't get them anyway? Or would you just ignore them and call them a wedge too?

Do you think we should only legislate for situations that most people (99.9999%!) are likely to be in? Are you sure it's a good idea to let people fall through the gaps, and dismiss them as a wedge? Last time I checked, a minority of the population is composed of women of childbearing age. Should we remove maternity services because 99.9999% of the population aren't going to need them?

I stilll don't understand why its ok to directly target the unborn because someone else's life is at risk. Why does the right to life of a foetus depend on a woman's life not being at risk? At what risk to life does the ability to kill the unborn kick in? 1%, 50%, real probable and substantial or 100% risk?
    I trust our medical professionals to make that call, under the Medcial Council guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Absolutely.
    But you won't say why, in a situation where both cannot be saved, and yet you say that both are exactly equal in your view, it wouldn't be equally acceptable to decide to save the fetus' life instead of its mother?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »
    But you won't say why, in a situation where both cannot be saved, and yet you say that both are exactly equal in your view, it wouldn't be equally acceptable to decide to save the fetus' life instead of its mother?

Maybe for you it is unacceptable. But I stand by the Constitution, X Case legislation and our Medical Council guidelines, where saving the mothers life is the intention, a termination is fully justified.

Maybe for you it is unacceptable. But I stand by the Constitution, X Case legislation and our Medical Council guidelines, where saving the mothers life is the intention, a termination is fully justified.
    If both lives are equal, why is only one priortised in the event a woman's life is at risk? Is that because a foetus isn't really equal to a woman?

I trust our medical professionals to make that call, under the Medcial Council guidelines.

But they don't trust the law to trust them to make that call, and so refrain from such decisions out of fear.

If both lives are equal, why is only one priortised in the event a woman's life is at risk? Is that because a foetus isn't really equal to a woman?

Thats a call, we as a nation, have made.

But they don't trust the law to trust them to make that call, and so refrain from such decisions out of fear.

Terminations happen in Irish hospitals when and where necessary, when the mother's like is under direct physical threat.

Terminations happen in Irish hospitals when and where necessary, when the mother's like is under direct physical threat.

And at no stage, not even one, has there ever been a delay that might have proved costly, due to uncertainty about the legal position?

And at no stage, not even one, has there ever been a delay that might have proved costly, due to uncertainty about the legal position?

I have no clue.

Have we?

I have no clue.

If there were evidence of such delays, showing issues with the 8th, would you consider that it may be flawed?

So if we, as a nation, as a nation, were to extend that priority given to the mother over the fetus a good deal further, let's say to her health, you would be perfectly happy with that?

If not, then why accept any degree of asymmetry at all, since you claim that both are entitled to equal rights?

As it is, your claim seems to be that even though you personally feel that both are strictly equal, you're prefectly happy for us, as a nation, to decide otherwise, and to prioritise only one of the two - and always the same one. I don't think that's very egalitarian, do you? :eek:

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

That's idea that a fertilised egg has the same value rights as an actual person is a truly ridiculous basis for denying a woman her bodily integrity.

Once you start breaking down the objective value of our humanity (no matter its stage of existence) then everything is up for debate. Our humanity is not subjective to what people think. That is why we have hundreds of abortion laws around the world depending on what people think or don't think should be respected as objectively human.

A life is not a "choice" when it exists.

Once you start breaking down the objective value of our humanity (no matter its stage of existence) then everything is up for debate. Our humanity is not subjective to what people think. That is why we have hundreds of abortion laws around the world depending on what people think or don't think should be respected as objectively human.

A life is not a "choice" when it exists.
    Well then, maybe you'll be braver than Black Menarche. If your belief is based on the exact equivalence of all humanity, including the unborn, why should it be a foregone conclusion that the mother's life is systematically prioritised over the fetus'?

There must be times when it would actually be easier to save the baby than the mother, and when it's 50/50, surely half of those times the fetus should get a go, not always the mother?

Genuine question. This "equality" lark just doesn't make sense to me otherwise.

Once you start breaking down the objective value of our humanity (no matter its stage of existence)...
    (...)

You mean, by ignoring the health and wellbeing of a small number of women, just because you don't think they are representative of all women of childbearing age?

If there were evidence of such delays, showing issues with the 8th, would you consider that it may be flawed?

No.

So if we, as a nation, as a nation, were to extend that priority given to the mother over the fetus a good deal further, let's say to her health, you would be perfectly happy with that?

If not, then why accept any degree of asymmetry at all, since you claim that both are entitled to equal rights?

As it is, your claim seems to be that even though you personally feel that both are strictly equal, you're prefectly happy for us, as a nation, to decide otherwise, and to prioritise only one of the two - and always the same one. I don't think that's very egalitarian, do you? :eek:

I am of a view that both mother and unborn baby are equally protected from their lives being intentionally taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The problem here is an Irish ability to abstract from reality so far that you can have a court case about someone who is in toxic shock and in urgent need of assistance.

The reality is that pregnancies can go horribly wrong, women get raped, get cancer and need life-saving treatment, and various other things that are not even in the realms of abortion on demand.

We have a harsh, thoughtless, dogmatic, legalistic and inhumane attitude to this at state level whatever about the general public's views which may have softened a bit.

It's pretty bizarre by any standards.

What really drove it home to me was when a woman I know in her 50s thought she could be pregnant due to a condom failure and because of serious heart problems and essential medication, she was considering hopping on a plane as neither herself nor the baby would have been likely to survive a pregnancy if she had to stop taking medication for her cardiac issues.

Irish law on this is utterly insane.

No.

So in summary,

even if there was direct evidence available, to show that the 8th has caused delays in administering patients, to the extent of causing serious difficulties, you'd still not consider the 8th flawed?

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The problem here is an Irish ability to abstract from reality so far that you can have a court case about someone who is in toxic shock and in urgent need of assistance.

The reality is that pregnancies can go horribly wrong, women get raped, get cancer and need life-saving treatment, and various other things that are not even in the realms of abortion on demand.

We have a harsh, thoughtless, dogmatic, legalistic and inhumane attitude to this at state level whatever about the general public's views which may have softened a bit.

It's pretty bizarre by any standards.

What really drove it home to me was when a woman I know in her 50s thought she could be pregnant due to a condom failure and because of serious heart problems and essential medication, she was considering hopping on a plane as neither herself nor the baby would have been likely to survive a pregnancy if she had to stop taking medication for her cardiac issues.

Irish law on this is utterly insane.

But which one of the scenarios above justify the intentional killing of an unborn baby?

So in summary,

even if there was direct evidence available, to show that the 8th has caused delays in administering patients, to the extent of causing serious difficulties, you'd still not consider the 8th flawed?

What evidence?

• Advertisement

What evidence?

I don't have any to hand. It was a thought experiment, recall the question you answered earlier in this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96010494&postcount=1825

I'm just adding the two elements of the questions together to create the full statement.

I don't have any to hand. It was a thought experiment, recall the question you answered earlier in this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96010494&postcount=1825

I'm just adding the two elements of the questions together to create the full statement.

Without the evidence to back you up, I see no reason to fault the 8th.

Without the evidence to back you up, I see no reason to fault the 8th.

The question has the conditional built in. Note the term 'if' at the beginning of the question to which you answered no to.

The question has the conditional built in. Note the term 'if' at the beginning of the question to which you answered no to.

Come back to me with evidence and we'll get into it.

That's not a thought experiment.

Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Not replying to this thread anymore - round & round in circles and it just makes me feel more and more like packing my stuff & grabbing a plane somewhere a little less bound by dogma.

Not replying to this thread anymore - round & round in circles and it just makes me feel more and more like packing my stuff & grabbing a plane somewhere a little less bound by dogma.

Being pro-life is not a dogmatic stance, its a reasonable stance.

There's a big world out there to be seen. Happy trails, if you decide to go.

Being pro-life is not a dogmatic stance, its a reasonable stance.

I thought he/she was talking about the abortion lobby's dogma.

You won't regret it. :p

I grew up in a country where abortion has been legal for decades, but my family were pro-life for religious reasons. Then we moved to Ireland... and saw why our opinion on the matter was wrong. Ironic eh?

Nothing quite like having your very religious mother say "it's illegal even in cases of rape? That's barbaric."

• Advertisement

So should terminations of mothers happen when the fetus' life is under direct physical threat?
    Seeing as you claim they have equal rights, that is.

Here's a real-life example where the father was asked to choose which of the two to save - but of course in Ireland the father can't actually choose, since it's the constitution that decides. I'd say both would likely die while the lawyers were being consulted - yet another reason to get rid of the 8th.
    http://doc2doc.bmj.com/forums/open-clinical_medical-ethics_should-saved-mother-child

So should terminations of mothers happen when the fetus' life is under direct physical threat?
    Seeing as you claim they have equal rights, that is.

Here's a real-life example where the father was asked to choose which of the two to save - but of course in Ireland the father can't actually choose, since it's the constitution that decides. I'd say both would likely die while the lawyers were being consulted - yet another reason to get rid of the 8th.
    http://doc2doc.bmj.com/forums/open-clinical_medical-ethics_should-saved-mother-child

Really, give us a real, documented example instead of a third hand account on Q & A forum.

seriously.

Really, give us a real, documented example instead of a third hand account on Q & A forum.

seriously.
    The question was about whether you think it should potentially happen, not what you think about individual cases. That was just to give an example of the kind of situation that might arise.

But that's grand. It's clear as day that you obviously realize you can't reply honestly without destroying the entire basis of your own argument. I've finished with you for now. :D

The question was about whether you think it should potentially happen, not what you think about individual cases. That was just to give an example of the kind of situation that might arise.

But that's grand. It's clear as day that you obviously realize you can't reply honestly without destroying the entire basis of your own argument. I've finished with you for now. :D

Sound.

The 8th Stands, for now. And I will defend it if it comes under attack. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I can't help but think that involves re-visiting the events of 6th July 1994 in Buswell's Hotel, and hoping that the van doesn't get caught this time.
    I thought he/she was talking about the abortion lobby's dogma.

20571795.jpg

That one went way over my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

That one went way over my head.

That does happen quite a lot to you I have noticed.

Spot on.

The point of thought experiments is that we don't actually need to see people suffer, we don't have to record and see pain for us to understand it can occur. Using logic and reasoning, we can reach decisions without the need for actual disaster.

Russia 1975
    General: "If we do fire a nuclear warhead at the USA, do you not think there will be an almost apocalyptic war, with devastating consequences for the planet?"
    Politician: "Come back to me with evidence and we'll get into it".

Isn't really an acceptable (or humane) way to attempt to understand things.

Just as several cases were predicted (X,Y) long before they occurred, we can test the conditions of the 8th that may bring about situations that were unintended. You seem to be refusing to do this though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

eire4 wrote: »
    I would say yes we will and can see it happening within the lifetime of the next government if said government proves stable enough.

Thats the problem. I think the next government will be as unstable as this of the 80s and fall in a matter of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Gael23 wrote: »
    Thats the problem. I think the next government will be as unstable as this of the 80s and fall in a matter of months.

If the government is FG + Lab + Inds/minor parties you'd have to think they'd be keen to get the referendum out of the way as soon as possible though. I don't see why it couldn't be held within six months of a GE, which means it could be less than a year away if the election happens in October/November this year...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement