Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spaying young (i.e. less than 12 weeks) puppy

• 24-05-2015 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone heard of this.. I met somebody in the vets a while ago with a small labradoodle pup. A friend was there too with their dog and mentioned how we knew a huge labradoodle to which we were told that the pup wasn't going to get much bigger we exchanged glances and went back to settling her dog and consoling Bailey - polar opposites in their happiness at being in the vet's waiting room! :p
    Anyways I heard the other day that the pup was actually keyhole spayed before they took her from the breeder and there's a "new way of thinking".. My uneducated thinking on this is that is the pup won't grow properly (which is possibly what they wanted) - or is that not the case because it's just the ovaries being removed?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

:eek:

You've got to be kidding!
    I've no idea if it would successfully stunt the pup's growth or not, but I feel horrible for the poor little thing if she ends up growing to normal size regardless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Where was this?
    I Havent heard of any vets in ireland performing spays that young let along using keyhole surgery on young pups....it doesnt add up to use keyhole on a dog thay size and age.

it can be done and is not uncommon for the rescues in america to spay pups as early as possible.
    I have heard of the occasional labx breeder doing this in the south of england but never came across it here.

As far as im aware there are no serious longterm studies done yet on the longterm affects of puppy spays but it is controversial even in america where they accept more severe surgeries for owners ease of comfort/aesthetics then we do(america still allows debarking,cat claw removals ear docking-all mutiliations under eu regulations if done as elective surgery)

It can be argued that it is an easier surgery-less blood suply to the organs,less trauma as they are underdeveloped, a shorter anaesthetic and smaller wounds and very quick recoveries.....But your still talking about elective surgery on a neonate who hasnt had a chance to develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah it doesn't add up doesn't it?! I wonder if my friend got their wires crossed :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

tk123 wrote: »
    Yeah it doesn't add up doesn't it?! I wonder if my friend got their wires crossed :confused:

Or if they were told that by the "breeder" they got the puppy off to trick them into thinking that the dog couldn't grow big. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My friend's words were "she got the job done down in Cork before they took her home" - I'll have to do some detective work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Gilabbey now doing laparascopic spays.

Advertisement