Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing my Crankset help!

Options
  • 24-05-2015 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all, Looking for some advice regarding my Giant Defy 5(2013 edition) w ww.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.defy.5/11833/56807/#specifications

I struggle on hills. In fact I feel every hill is a mountain! I think my lowest gear is not low enough. My current crankset has a large chainring and a medium sized chainring. It was suggested to me to change the crankset which is 'FSA Tempo Compact - 50x34' to one with three chainrings which would include a small chainring.

Would anyone be able to suggest a new crankset to purchase as Id like to order and fix the part myself. Any recommendations are helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭cython

ianiemac wrote: »
    Hi all, Looking for some advice regarding my Giant Defy 5(2013 edition) w ww.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.defy.5/11833/56807/#specifications

I struggle on hills. In fact I feel every hill is a mountain! I think my lowest gear is not low enough. My current crankset has a large chainring and a medium sized chainring. It was suggested to me to change the crankset which is 'FSA Tempo Compact - 50x34' to one with three chainrings which would include a small chainring.

Would anyone be able to suggest a new crankset to purchase as Id like to order and fix the part myself. Any recommendations are helpful.

If you change the chainset to a triple you will also need to change the left shifter as well, as your current one won't work with 3 chainrings. Things start to get expensive then! Unfortunately as the spec you posted indicates you are on 8 speed, and the stock cassette seems to have a large sprocket of 28 teeth, I'm not sure there's a cassette change out there to help either (10/11 speed can go to 32 teeth), and you can't get smaller double chainrings without going for an MTB or CX chainset. I guess you could check that you actually have 28 teeth on the largest gear on the back (if it was replaced from wear it might not have been exchanged for the same), as if you don't that might get you a slightly looser gear without excessive cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

this calls for a new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If every hill feels like a mountain with 34/28 gearing then going for a triple chainset which will give you a 30T ring isn't going to make much difference.

It would be expensive to change to a triple as you will have to change shifters, chainset and front dérailleur as well as cables.

Best option would be to fit a 11/30 MTB cassette and hope your RD has enough adjustment to take the 30T cog.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ianiemac

If every hill feels like a mountain with 34/28 gearing then going for a triple chainset which will give you a 30T ring isn't going to make much difference.

It would be expensive to change to a triple as you will have to change shifters, chainset and front dérailleur as well as cables.

Best option would be to fit a 11/30 MTB cassette and hope your RD has enough adjustment to take the 30T cog.

Looking into this now. I was going to upgrade the bike before next summer but happy to spend a few bob on it this year without breaking the bank!

Thanks for all the info. I will be back with an update. Anymore ideas are appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/sram-pg830-8sp-mtb-cassette-chain-bundle/rp-prod135214

mtb cassette and chain medium/long cage rd and off you go. Get the 32 option if you want, it'll be very gappy but you'll have gears to go up

€30/€40 and you'd be done

• Advertisement
Advertisement