Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WD40 Bike

• 24-05-2015 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

Obviously the opinions are divided here some say never use WD40 on your bike, some say use it as cleaner and lubrication (including lads from GCN). Any opinions on the WD40 Bike range ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Grand for cleaning oil and grime off bikes (both alloy and carbon frames) however useless as a lubricant as it dries out and leaves a residue which attracts dust and dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Grand for cleaning oil and grime off bikes (both alloy and carbon frames) however useless as a lubricant as it dries out and leaves a residue which attracts dust and dirt.

Did you actually look at what the OP posted? It seems that WD40 are now doing a bike-specific range of products, including degreaser, cleaner, and wet, dry and all conditions lubes - I would be very surprised if the latter 3 products had the same properties as the original WD-40 formulation, but hey, maybe they are that pointless! Would be very surprised at lube being an effective cleaner even from them though.

OP, I can't comment as to the efficacy of any of the range, as I haven't used them, but the above post struck me as very knee-jerk in response to the brand being mentioned rather than your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd never be without WD40 for either my bicycle's or motorcycle, although I haven't used it as a lube in years, but I find it a fantastic cleaner and degreaser so I'd use this stuff in a heartbeat (depending on cost).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Wd-40 is great because its easy to get-even in supermarkets, garages etc. Great for cleaning, but you need proper lube for your drivetrain afterwards. Very handy also for wiping greasy spots off the frame after you've cleaned the bike. And, great for removing squeaks from door hinges, which is vital if you are getting up at the crack of dawn to go cycling (as you kind of have to in Beijing) and your missus is still fast asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

cython wrote: »
    Did you actually look at what the OP posted? It seems that WD40 are now doing a bike-specific range of products, including degreaser, cleaner, and wet, dry and all conditions lubes - I would be very surprised if the latter 3 products had the same properties as the original WD-40 formulation, but hey, maybe they are that pointless! Would be very surprised at lube being an effective cleaner even from them though.

OP, I can't comment as to the efficacy of any of the range, as I haven't used them, but the above post struck me as very knee-jerk in response to the brand being mentioned rather than your post.

You're correct, I didn't click on the link as I was on my phone and didn't realise it was a link, please forgive me for my terrible indiscretion which seems to have upset you something awful, how can I ever make it up to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

You're correct, I didn't click on the link as I was on my phone and didn't realise it was a link, please forgive me for my terrible indiscretion which seems to have upset you something awful, how can I ever make it up to you!

It's not for me to say but I think THIS << LINK CLICK should be enough for to say sorry and for cython to say YES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

WD40 is less of a specific product these days, but more of an overall brand.

They'll be in the condom market soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

el tel wrote: »

They'll be in the condom market soon.

I think they looked at that but decided there was no future in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Koobcam wrote: »
    Wd-40 is great because its easy to get-even in supermarkets, garages etc.
    And in €2 type shops. It is 1.49 in dealz for 100ml

http://www.dealz.ie/wd40-can-80ml-20ml-extra-free

200ml is 5.50 in tesco
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=275386922

100ml is 3.99 in woodies, though a 200ml is too.

I was amazed to see how well it removed chewing gum from clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

omri wrote: »
    Obviously the opinions are divided here some say never use WD40 on your bike, some say use it as cleaner and lubrication (including lads from GCN). Any opinions on the WD40 Bike range ?
    I use it as both. I generally clean the bike weekly so I think it is fine once you do it regularly, as a longer-term lubricant it may be that the teflon additives in other oils prevent the dust which can cause long-term wear.

Recently a friend mentioned a chain degreasing product that was available in Aldi or Lidl that was in the special offers for motorbike stuff and he said that was very effective at removing the dirt and grime from the chain. It may be that I move to this as WD40 can be an expensive degreaser only but then I'll have to buy a product some has put the word "Bike" on and multiplies the price by 10!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I think someone mentioned it recently that there was a PB40 that WD40 made for bikes but can't find that post for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The original WD40 is a good cleaner and degreaser and short-term lubricant. i.e. when you need something to move that won't, use WD40.

For long-term lubrication it doesn't work. You'll get away with it if you liberally spray it on your chain every day, but do it once and go out in the rain and you'll have a rusty mess by the end of the week. The reason for this is that it evaporates without leaving anything behind, whereas normal lubricants either don't dry out or leave a protective layer behind.

WD40 is actually really good for taking MTB grips on and off. Lets the grip slide onto the handlebar really easily, leave it overnight and the WD40 will completely evaporate leaving a nice solid grip.

Advertisement