Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

servicing a self propelled lawn mower

Options
  • 24-05-2015 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭

I have a self propelled lawn mower with a briggs and Stratton 575 ex series engine. It was robbed from my shed but I got it bank thanks to the garda.

I'd like to keep it in tip top shape.

It's over 1 year old.
    does anyone know what I should service on it?
    Air filter, fuel filter..

Comments

Change the oil.
    Inspect the air filter. If its damaged or you can't see light through change it. There is also a pre filter in there. Inspect that. Wash it if it is dirty. Let it dry for a day.
    Change the spark plug.
    I'm not sure if this engine has a fuel filter. If it does it will be on the fuel line between the tank and the carburettor.
    I also give around the engine a clean with an air compressor.

Other things I do are sharpen the blades and apply grease to the cables that go to the drive and the safety cable and clean the underside of the mower deck

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can you tilt a petrol mower on its side in order to clear the underside? I thought the shop i bought it from told me not to do it but just wondering if it would be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

vicwatson wrote: »
    Can you tilt a petrol mower on its side in order to clear the underside? I thought the shop i bought it from told me not to do it but just wondering if it would be ok?

I'm sure if there is no petrol and low on oil,it should be ok...

vicwatson wrote: »

if the oil is taken out its fine. I don't tip the mower to the side the air filter is on or towards the spark plug. I tip them by lifting the front up. But am not sure if this is absolutely correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I tip mine on it's side about 45 degrees, and it's fine, been doing it for years. Bloody bother when the deck gets stuffed with grass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement