Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin 15 - advice needed please

Options
  • 24-05-2015 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, my husband is starting work shortly in Dublin 15. Can anyone please give us advice on what areas are good to live and where we should avoid? We initially intend on renting and will purchase a house as soon as we can.

We have two children, a girl (7) and boy (9). We are looking at Catholic schools in the area.
    Can anyone let us know which ones to avoid.

Can you please give feedback on the following National Schools:
    St. Mochtas National School
    St. Patricks National School
    Scoil Thomais

What is the procedure with regards to getting places at schools? do we contact the local authority or directly to the school?

We would appreciate any advice. Many thanks for all replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Whats your budget for the house?
    Here's a similar thread from a couple of months ago ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057403304

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

In each case, contact the school directly. From personal experience, avoid Scoil Thomais. Neither me nor my siblings had good experiences there, with the exception of one teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

From personal experience, avoid Scoil Thomais. Neither me nor my siblings had good experiences there, with the exception of one teacher.
    How long ago was that?
    Friends of mine send their children there and have positive things to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JarJar1

Can anyone please confirm the private schools in or around Dublin 15. I have only been able to locate two. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

JarJar1 wrote: »
    Can anyone please confirm the private schools in or around Dublin 15. I have only been able to locate two. Many thanks

Secondary: St vincent castleknock college (boys), mount sackville (Girls), kings hospital (Church of Ireland, mixed)

Scoil Mhuire (mount sackville primary school, not private I believe. but I could be wrong)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

daymobrew wrote: »
    How long ago was that?
    Friends of mine send their children there and have positive things to say.

My brother's only out of there two years. He has a severe learning disability, the school refused to allow him to be tested for it. I was severely bullied, the school did nothing, my sister was bullied by teachers. My cousins also went there and had similar experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

oblivious wrote: »
    Scoil Mhuire (mount sackville primary school, not private I believe. but I could be wrong)
    The primary school is not private.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JarJar1

Is there a maximum number of children in primary classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Usually 30 is the max/standard. Some schools will be over that, but not that I've heard in D15. Usually schools in the commuter belt I think can be over the 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think you should look at the secondary schools catchments mainly. They are the harder ones to get into. Look at their enrolment policies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement