Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Aquathon Series

Options
  • 24-05-2015 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Race 1 - Monday 25th of May
    Race 2 - Monday 29th of June
    Race 3 - Monday 27th of July

I've just signed up for the 3 races for 45 euro.

Two options
    1000m swim/7.4k run
    or
    500m swim/3.7k run.

Anyone here doing these?
    (apologies if there is already a thread, couldn't see one).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I signed up for the longer one. Should be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Short one. Quick blast before Athy. Think its on second so will have to wait around a bit but the long one might to be too much in race week.

Mother of Jesus that sea was choppy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Steroo wrote: »

Yep...swallowed a good bit of it alright. Broke up the group tho so all good. Very enjoyable race again!

Yep...swallowed a good bit of it alright. Broke up the group tho so all good. Very enjoyable race again!

A group you say?? I saw something in the far far far distance that looked like a group.... a good learning experience for me but I'd say I swam about 2km with all the ZigZaging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Some lad ahead of me had a pink hat, must have followed him 5/6 times rather than the bouys!

Rough sea alright, but good race. Long run from water to transition, and that hill :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good race - despite the cold weather and the colder sea! Must be hard to balance the fine line between tides, daylight, and traffic conditions to get the sweet spot just right. Next one hopefully will be sunny and warmer. it was a real swimmer's test last night and conditions were challenging! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

+1 to that comment, I did the 500M as my first OW swim and I thought that they were about to start filming episodes of 'Deadliest Catch' :).

Great event, I would have no problem doing it again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

is there a link for results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

So last time was okay except that I couldn't catch my breath. Tried to slow down and relax my breathing but never really managed it. I wasn't panicking. I think it was just the cold water hitting my face.

I've had a few open water swims since then so hoping to improve on that tonight!

So last time was okay except that I couldn't catch my breath. Tried to slow down and relax my breathing but never really managed it. I wasn't panicking. I think it was just the cold water hitting my face.

I've had a few open water swims since then so hoping to improve on that tonight!

How did it go for you? I did the 500M race and enjoyed it, I reckon that the course was slightly longer than Race 1 (seemed that way anyway), as I was a bit slower last night than last month and so was my mate (he is a decent swimmer), did anyone else think that?
    Great little race very friendly too.....good stepping stone for anyone looking at getting in to OW swimming..... like me :)

smashiner wrote: »
    How did it go for you? I did the 500M race and enjoyed it, I reckon that the course was slightly longer than Race 1 (seemed that way anyway), as I was a bit slower last night than last month and so was my mate (he is a decent swimmer), did anyone else think that?
    Great little race very friendly too.....good stepping stone for anyone looking at getting in to OW swimming..... like me :)

my friends garmin said 740m ish... I think that was about 120m out to the first buoy & back to beach... definitely more than 500/1000m in the water. much calmer than last time & well managed.

my friends garmin said 740m ish... I think that was about 120m out to the first buoy & back to beach... definitely more than 500/1000m in the water. much calmer than last time & well managed.

Fookers.. :pac::D:D:D.......I knew that it was longer....closer to 750 than 500 it seems ......feel a bit better now about my time.....Ironman Kona Hawaii here I come...have to glue back up the shredded wetsuit now !!

Aquaman out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

smashiner wrote: »

That makes me feel better! I was one minute quicker than last time. Last time I was 59th out of 90 swimmers out of the water (well, to transition) in 22:50. This time I was 63rd out of 124 swimmers in 21:47.

So if it was longer then I'm happy with that improvement.

I made sure that I got my head down into the water before the race started and let some water in my neck so that my body didn't freak out like last time!

8 seconds slower on the run!

What a spread afterwards! Watermelon, orange segments, apples, bananas, bottles of water, cups of cordial. I didn't have any of the fruit loaf but it looked nice.

The average swim time last night was 22:11. So I'm officially above average!

Advertisement