Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patchy garden help

Options
  • 24-05-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I just cannot get grass to grow in patchy areas I have been using seed see pic .. I don't really wanna start digging up garden..... If I put that patch magic on bare area ( give it a bit of a rake first) then put patch magic in and throw bit of top soil over it would that work ? Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

There has to be a reason why the grass is patchy in that area. If you don't tackle that then patching it up may not work. First thing that strikes me is that it looks very shady? Does it get full sun, is it regularly waterlogged, is there animal traffic etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

lottpaul wrote: »
    There has to be a reason why the grass is patchy in that area. If you don't tackle that then patching it up may not work. First thing that strikes me is that it looks very shady? Does it get full sun, is it regularly waterlogged, is there animal traffic etc?

Yr right no animal but shaded big tree overhead - cut it back yest .... Ya there is a bit of an issue with water ok ... I'm just looking to improve it a small bit .... Thks ...

I'd say your biggest problem is shade -- grass needs plenty of light, like any plant, so the more sunlight you can let at it the better.
    Try deep spiking that little area with a fork and then brushing some grit/sand into the holes to help drainage a bit and then apply some seed/patch etc.
    (just press the fork in as deep as you can, wriggle it a little and pull it out, leaving small holes all over the place :) )
    It might help a bit, esp if there's more light after you cut back the tree.

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

lottpaul wrote: »
    I'd say your biggest problem is shade -- grass needs plenty of light, like any plant, so the more sunlight you can let at it the better.
    Try deep spiking that little area with a fork and then brushing some grit/sand into the holes to help drainage a bit and then apply some seed/patch etc.
    (just press the fork in as deep as you can, wriggle it a little and pull it out, leaving small holes all over the place :) )
    It might help a bit, esp if there's more light after you cut back the tree.

Best of luck with it :)

Thks a mill so would I just do the fork job first then throw a bit of sand in and about ... Rake it through perhaps ? Then the following day throw down the seed?
    The sand won't stop the seed from taking hold from the soil would it!? 😀

Thks a mill so would I just do the fork job first then throw a bit of sand in and about ... Rake it through perhaps ? Then the following day throw down the seed?
    The sand won't stop the seed from taking hold from the soil would it!? 😀

Just fork it first, then brush the grit/rough sand in with a yard brush. After that put down the seed. The holes you make should be small and wont affect the grass seed sprouting. Keep it watered if we get a dry spell :rolleyes: :) and don't mow until its growing strongly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement