Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Split Paw Pad

• 24-05-2015 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

I think my fella split his paw pad (the 'palm' part, if you will) after walking across sharp gravel a few days ago. There's no blood, the split is very minor (almost like a clean papercut), just today I caught him furiously licking his foot, which drew my attention to his pad in the first place.

His pads are quite soft despite being walked on all sorts of ground on a daily basis, so it's not cracked, just a very short split on the surface.

Anyone have experience with this? Is it a vet issue? Should I be cleaning it or just leave it be? He has been hobbling the past 2 days which I figured was just a strain considering he had more intense exercise than usual the day I think he may have split it.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

I've dealt with a few of these myself. The first was deeper and required a tweasers to remove some glass. My dad had some stuff (the name escapes me) to seal the cut. The latest, like yours - was minor, not deep, with no blood or foreign objects.

Like you, I noticed Hugo licking it. Personally, I'd monitor it - and keep it clean. Warm Salt water and some cotton wool is what I regularly use.

Just be sure there's nothing lodged in there, now or in the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

Re: the hobbling... I wonder if whatever caused the split, also hurt some of the bones in his toes/foot?

Perhaps have a firm feel of each toe individually, and around the foot/joint? A yelp will let you know real quick.

Again, I've dealt with a few issues of foot pain (with Our other boy Jack) from strains - that we monitored, and resolved themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I had a similar issue with my border terrier recently and I did bring her to the vet but the vet just sent her on her way. So Id say your dog will be fine. Just keep an eye on it and if she's still at it in a day or two I would maybe think of seeing a vet then.

I put a bandage onto the paw myself for a couple of hours during the day just so my dog would stop licking it for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bailey use to have split pads all the time before his legs were fixed. Vet told me to just make sure no foreign bodies could get in so eg wear a boot for a few days and keep it clean - he was never really lame/hobbling around from it though so could there be something inside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Thanks guys. I'd be inclined to want to keep it covered if that will help it heal, is there anything I could get in the chemist that could cover it and keep it dry? He's been leaving it alone most of the time, but I think he got some grit in the gap of it yesterday which was why he was licking it.

The hobbling is a bit odd in the fact that I can't really tell which leg is making him do it as it's quite subtle, I'm just assuming it's the one with the split in his pad. He's the kind of dog who doesn't act like anything is wrong with him, you really have to investigate to find out, while my other fella falls to bits if he gets a leaf stuck in his trousers.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

VonVix wrote: »
    while my other fella falls to bits if he gets a leaf stuck in his trousers.

Haha Bailey is the same!! I use kids socks from penneys - you can get them with non slip dots/writing on them so perfect for us because we have wooden floors. For outside a boot or even sock, cling film/plastic lunch bag with another sock over it. Just be careful if you're using plastic because it might sweat the paw a bit if it's on too long.

Advertisement