Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A squirrel in my garden!

Options
  • 24-05-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭

well this is a new one for me.

About 10 days ago a grey squirrel appeared in my garden here in north Dublin.

Now he is very cute looking and it is nice to watch him.

But is he gonna eat all my fruit & veg, apples, currants etc etc?

Anyone had squirrels in the garden before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

ok so I checked this out and apparently a squirrel will eat everything in your garden and it needs to be gotten rid of even if it is cute.

so I have ordered one of these traps

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003C0DO76/ref=s9_simh_gw_d4_g201_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=mobile-1&pf_rd_r=0KG35C78TX6JJWXZVGKQ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=507564347&pf_rd_i=mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Where will you release it? Doing so where there are red squirrels may be a bad idea for the local red squirrels. Perhaps someone here may know, or maybe talk to your local vet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do i remember hearing that if you trap a grey squirrel, it's illegal to release it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

do i remember hearing that if you trap a grey squirrel, it's illegal to release it?

It is in the UK anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Is it a grey or red one?

We've plenty of red squirrels in the garden down here in Cork.

Surprisingly enough they're still doing well in the surburbs.

If it's an Irish red, absolutely do not trap it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Our estate is full of grey squirrels - I have a bird table inside a wire cage and found a squirrel inside the cage one day (peanuts on the table, back to seeds now!)

It had one hell of a time trying to get out of the cage when I approached it!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

We have two grey squirrels in our garden.

They only seem interested in the wild bird seed and beech nuts, they have never bothered with the fruit or veg, and don't seem interested in the chickens eggs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

deandean wrote: »
    About 10 days ago a grey squirrel appeared in my garden here in north Dublin.
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    Is it a grey or red one?
    Do you even read, bro? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

the_syco wrote: »
    Where will you release it? Doing so where there are red squirrels may be a bad idea for the local red squirrels. Perhaps someone here may know, or maybe talk to your local vet?

Trap it and drown it - jobsagoodun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you even read, bro? :P

I was posting on a iPhone .. possibly missed it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Trap it and drown it - jobsagoodun.

Then eat it! Or give it to me and I'll eat it. Not sure I'd have the heart to drown an animal, it's a horrid way to die. A good whack on the head would be kinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

kylith wrote: »
    Then eat it! Or give it to me and I'll eat it. Not sure I'd have the heart to drown an animal, it's a horrid way to die. A good whack on the head would be kinder.

Have to disagree with you there - drowning is a very quick death for any small animal. I used to trap and drown skunks in The States many years ago and you would not want to be trying to hit those lads a smack on the head! Wouldn't fancy trying it with a squirrel either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Advertisement