Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLUGS

Options
  • 24-05-2015 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi there, I was wondering, has anyone got a tried and tested way of getting rid of these pescky pests. The garden is overrun with them once night falls. Huge black ones. I've had all my sunflowers devoured over the last 2 nights. They have started on broccoli, lettuce and bedding plants also (which are in pots) I dont want to go down the route of pellets if at all possible and was trying to get rid with a more natural way if this is possible? I go out every evening before bed and hand pick them and fling them over the wall (rural house btw !) and have tried beer traps but not working. Anyone any ideas on how to help. Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Sharp sand or ashes/cinders laid around the plants. Slugs don't like having their bellies scratched!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

Thanks Coolhull . If I were to replant the lettuce/broccoli in time would I just spread the sand/cinders right around the perimeter of the plot and this might do the trick? Would it damage the plants in any way or leave a stronger taste when eaten if it was in direct contact with the plant ( sorry if this is a stupid question, total novice gardener here :-/ ) As for now just place it at bottom of pot on ground ? Thank you for your reply

Well, usually I place the grit in a circle a few inches from the plants (crushed egg shells are very good too). Or if in pots, around the inside perimeter of the pot. Someone also told me I could use Vaseline around the outer circumference of the pots, but I haven't tried that. I don't understand why the beer traps don't work. Maybe they weren't planted level with the top of the soil.
    Anyway, good luck with your attempts!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I find regular hand picking and put them in salt will eradicate a lot, if you don't kill them they will come back.
    I use a big jar with some coarse salt in the bottom and drop them into it, they dry up very quickly this way.
    A pair of disposable plastic tweezers works well to keep the slime off your fingers as well.
    Copper strips work to stop them as well, but once you have them out of the area you still need to deal with the ones in the garden area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Last night I set 2 beer traps

This morning when I checked 1 had two slugs in it and the other one and 6.

The trap with 1 slug was just a saucer, placed on the ground with beer in it.
    The trap with 6 slugs in it was a plastic container, placed in a hole in the ground, so the rim was at ground level. That had beer in it also.

I've tried the egg shells but didn't work for me, they just slimed all over it.

Hope that helps in the battle of the slugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

I had a couple of horrendous years with slugs so this year I decided to fill all the pathways between and around my raised beds with 10 mm crushed limestone gravel. They hate it. Not one to be seen this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I used to have great lettuce harvests until the slugs took over. For three years I planted lettuce without getting much back after the slugs had (more than) their share. This year I decided to try again. I planted out 12 round lettuce plants and 12 curly plants. At first all seemed well, however the slugs soon turned up. I used egg shells but to no avail. Nightly, I can hear the slugs laughing and munching. Today I have 8 plants left from the 24. Most are gnawed. But I have two in pretty good condition after I covered them with plastic bottles with the bottoms cut out. They are now getting too big for the bottles and they have to come off. I can hear the slugs champing at the bit to get at them! My last resort, I purchased beer and I will set the traps and see what happens. I hate them slugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

find that once plants get to a certain size, the slugs seem less keen. It's getting them to size that's the problem. I've read somewhere that plants produce a natural defence mechanism as they grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

There are some natural predators of slugs that can help keep the numbers under control. Some birds (like the trush and ducks for example) will eat slugs and snails. Also frogs and hedge hogs will eat them. Some insects will also eat the eggs. Centipedes are often found near slugs and are said to be particularly effective. Encouraging any of the above in your garden should help the situation.

Well we have lots of birds in the garden, as we feed them. Maybe we should feed them slugs instead of bird seed! I popped out into the garden a little after 10pm with a torch. One fat slug was making a bee line for one of the beer traps. Hope there will be more floating in it in the morning.

• Advertisement

I couldn't wait to check the traps this morning. Could hardly believe my eyes, six slugs in one trap and four in the other. Brilliant! Now what to do? Do I leave the traps as they are for another night, or do I take the (ugh) slugs out, or do I pour the lot out and add fresh beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

Gravel and sand .... and get my runner beans up to a decen size in pots before risking planting out in ground...sorry I use the blue stuff too:P

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

cobham wrote: »
    Gravel and sand .... and get my runner beans up to a decen size in pots before risking planting out in ground...sorry I use the blue stuff too:P

I have a frog in the green house eating mine. No issues there but runner beans are under attack outside lucky I have some spare in pots.

Strangely enough, they don't seem at all interested in broad beans! :)

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Strangely enough, they don't seem at all interested in broad beans! :)

No but ants take that plant down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If they like green leaves so much, why do they never like dandelions? :rolleyes:

iainBB wrote: »
    No but ants take that plant down

Aww I didn't know that. Gotta get me some ant stuff now! :mad: Growing your own is a daily battle.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Aww I didn't know that. Gotta get me some ant stuff now! :mad: Growing your own is a daily battle.

Oh jellybaby it sure is . I am learning all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I put out beer traps for slugs and snails, and accidentally discovered that they really like honey, when I used one of those hive-shaped squeezy bottles of honey with a scrape of honey left in the bottom as a trap, filled up with beer. You can also make your own mix of yeast, a little flour, sugar and warm water, though they don't seem to go for that in the same numbers as the beer.

Well, they ARE Irish slugs remember! Partial to the drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I think the best way if to hunt them out yourself. I go out just as it's getting dark, armed with my shears, and snip any I see in two. It's a quick death, better than drowning or salting I think. My slug numbers were drastically reduced last year when I started actively looking for them. I also give a poke around the dark areas of the garden, and under the soil at the base of my plants, during the day and I find a lot that way. Its really effective.

Cleaning up any debris and empty pots gets rid of hiding places for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

As a gardening dumb wit, would it be a good idea to surround my pots, that are raised in the greenhouse, with salt to effectively create a salt perimeter?

There would be no issue with salt contaminating the plants. Just wondering.

As a gardening dumb wit, would it be a good idea to surround my pots, that are raised in the greenhouse, with salt to effectively create a salt perimeter?

There would be no issue with salt contaminating the plants. Just wondering.
    I've been teopted to use salt too, but I'm afraid that it might damage the soil in the flower-beds?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

coolhull wrote: »
    I've been teopted to use salt too, but I'm afraid that it might damage the soil in the flower-beds?

My garden is 100% covered with slabs so I'm not worried about salt contamination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

deemy wrote: »
    Hi there, I was wondering, has anyone got a tried and tested way of getting rid of these pescky pests. The garden is overrun with them once night falls. Huge black ones. I've had all my sunflowers devoured over the last 2 nights. They have started on broccoli, lettuce and bedding plants also (which are in pots) I dont want to go down the route of pellets if at all possible and was trying to get rid with a more natural way if this is possible? I go out every evening before bed and hand pick them and fling them over the wall (rural house btw !) and have tried beer traps but not working. Anyone any ideas on how to help. Tia

There are organic pellets you can get that don't harm birds or the environment. We use them...they're not 100% effective, but pretty good.

Or buy a duck...

Years ago I used to salt the slugs. Every night I took myself off on a safari armed with a torch and salt cellar. The effect of the salt was so revolting I stopped it. Don't think I could snip them with a scissors either. I'm too squeamish to be a veg gardener really.

Or use copper tape on the pots - around €7 for 4 metres. It shocks slugs and prevents them crossing it. Keep it cleaned, as it loses its conductivity if it gets dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

coolhull wrote: »
    Sharp sand or ashes/cinders laid around the plants. Slugs don't like having their bellies scratched!

Never knew that, thanks.

I caught a couple of them in my greenhouse last night, my garden is cobblelocked and underneath are lovely small sharp stones for drainage, reckon I will be lifting the blocks and have a ready made slug barrier underneath.

Everything in the greenhouse is in pots so shouldn't affect my pots.

I have sent about 40 slugs to alcoholic heaven so far!! :)

• Advertisement

If you go out every night and kill every slug and snail you see, after about two years your garden will be more or less clear of them.
    I've been doing that; last night I came across the fastest-moving earthworms I'd ever seen, mahogany-coloured, pointed and segmented - thought they were something horrible, but in fact an organic gardener told me these were very good friends to the garden.

Advertisement