Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass fishing wicklow area

Options
  • 24-05-2015 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get out and catch my self my very 1st bass but not sure we're to start off. Does anyone know somewere decent I could try were I stand a chance of a bass ? I'm living in the wicklow area and have a car so can travel no problem

Also what's best for baits and what rig is best for the bass

Any and all info would be really appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

While I'm sure there will be plenty of advice along with this query, just for your own info the bass season is closed from 15 May until 15 June in case you intended heading out straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

SeaFields wrote: »
    While I'm sure there will be plenty of advice along with this query, just for your own info the bass season is closed from 15 May until 15 June in case you intended heading out straight away.

Why is that? I seen on beaches and seen in Cobb harbour that there is also a season aswell. Is it breeding season for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Why is that? I seen on beaches and seen in Cobb harbour that there is also a season aswell. Is it breeding season for them?

That's pretty much it. Although many will have already spawned the closed season allows them to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The timing of the closed season for bass is flawed but its in place and better than nothing. It allows them to spawn/recover and is an escape from the pressure of angling for roughly 5 weeks. Plenty of other fish to target and catch tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Bass will eat pretty much same as most other fish. Strip of mackerel, crab, lug and rag. They'll eat that aswell even though you'd be fishing for something else. So surely a month of a season should really be catch and release only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

Bass will eat pretty much same as most other fish. Strip of mackerel, crab, lug and rag. They'll eat that aswell even though you'd be fishing for something else. So surely a month of a season should really be catch and release only.

Thanks for that. Iv tried for them an nothing yet. When's best tide wise ? And how far from the beach is best to fish ?

I always do catch and release on all fishing as I do all fishing apart from fly which I'll be picking up this summer if get the chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Best bass fishing if you can get down will be in south wex (thats all your getting ;) )

You can catch bass in 6inches of water on a sandy beach - off the rocks close to shore - or as far out as you can go - but - 30 - 40 yrds is plenty - they run prey into rocks in shallow water to trap them, which is why lures are a good thing to have around rocks.

Peeler crab as usual will be the best recommended but hardback will get better results! (incoming onslaught) Using peeler on the top of a pennel for scent purposes (try it - they will take the hardback 99% of the time)

Dusk till dawn will bring them closer to shore but read the water and inform yourself of where to fish anyway - 99% of the fish are in 1% of the water - learn what to look for.

ardinn wrote: »
    Best bass fishing if you can get down will be in south wex (thats all your getting ;) )

You can catch bass in 6inches of water on a sandy beach - off the rocks close to shore - or as far out as you can go - but - 30 - 40 yrds is plenty - they run prey into rocks in shallow water to trap them, which is why lures are a good thing to have around rocks.

Peeler crab as usual will be the best recommended but hardback will get better results! (incoming onslaught) Using peeler on the top of a pennel for scent purposes (try it - they will take the hardback 99% of the time)

Dusk till dawn will bring them closer to shore but read the water and inform yourself of where to fish anyway - 99% of the fish are in 1% of the water - learn what to look for.

I know your trying to help but I have to disagree with you Ardinn.

South wexford has suffered a decline in bass fishing recently. Lots of good reports from the entire South Coast which would lead me to believe, anecdotally anyway, that the bass population is highly dispersed.

Location, quarry, bait and conditions are the variables which determine how successful (or not) you will be. It might sound simple but it's not and makes for a complex equation.

To say hardback crab will out fish peeler crab is unfounded, however, people use peeler crab as a wonder bait. Often used in an area where no "peel" is on it can be less effective. I can see the merit of a live hardback crab in the right conditions but to say it is 99% more effective generally isn't true.

Ardinn is correct in advising that distance isn't necessary however conditions and location will dictate. A sandbar or depression which accounts for fish can be 200 yards or 50 yards out depending on the tidal state. You need to know your location.

Fishing for bass can be frustrating. My advice is to fish for complimentary species and you will find bass amongst your catch ie try for smooth hound and flounder. Both will be caught on ragworm or crab on the east Coast this time of year. You will find the odd bass amongst your catch.

I know your trying to help but I have to disagree with you Ardinn.

South wexford has suffered a decline in bass fishing recently. Lots of good reports from the entire South Coast which would lead me to believe, anecdotally anyway, that the bass population is highly dispersed.

Location, quarry, bait and conditions are the variables which determine how successful (or not) you will be. It might sound simple but it's not and makes for a complex equation.

To say hardback crab will out fish peeler crab is unfounded, however, people use peeler crab as a wonder bait. Often used in an area where no "peel" is on it can be less effective. I can see the merit of a live hardback crab in the right conditions but to say it is 99% more effective generally isn't true.

Ardinn is correct in advising that distance isn't necessary however conditions and location will dictate. A sandbar or depression which accounts for fish can be 200 yards or 50 yards out depending on the tidal state. You need to know your location.

Fishing for bass can be frustrating. My advice is to fish for complimentary species and you will find bass amongst your catch ie try for smooth hound and flounder. Both will be caught on ragworm or crab on the east Coast this time of year. You will find the odd bass amongst your catch.

Of course the Bass population is dispersed, but after fishing most of the south east and east coast as far as Louth In my opinion the best bass fishing is in South Wexford! Which is the best mark IMO closest to the OP's original location!

I think that was my point regarding location!

It's not unfounded - I have proven it to myself - and thats all that matters - Just passing on my experiences!!

Sandbars, holes, and troughs are key - as I said, 99% of the fish!

I dont agree in al of this but I understand a little of what you mean - I go fishing with a target in my head. If I want a bass and only catch flounder im disappointed, I would usually target bass and smoothies in one session - but I have a target in mind - and if I blank the species then I have blanked! But thats just me maybe :D I certainly would not go for complimentary species and hope I somehow catch a bass by mistake :confused:

[/B]

Of course the Bass population is dispersed, but after fishing most of the south east and east coast as far as Louth In my opinion the best bass fishing is in South Wexford! Which is the best mark IMO closest to the OP's original location!

I think that was my point regarding location!

It's not unfounded - I have proven it to myself - and thats all that matters - Just passing on my experiences!!

Sandbars, holes, and troughs are key - as I said, 99% of the fish!

I dont agree in al of this but I understand a little of what you mean - I go fishing with a target in my head. If I want a bass and only catch flounder im disappointed, I would usually target bass and smoothies in one session - but I have a target in mind - and if I blank the species then I have blanked! But thats just me maybe :D I certainly would not go for complimentary species and hope I somehow catch a bass by mistake :confused:

I take on board all your saying Ardinn, Im just not someone who will present an anecdote as fact.

• Advertisement

Sorry to derail this further - but who is presenting an anecdote as fact??

@Ardinn
    I feel like I've to pull you up on your statement that the best bass fishing is in Wexford. Wexford bass stocks have plummeted in the past few years and are no way near as healthy as they once were.
    Remarks like this only serve to fuel the idea that all us well within the fishery when in reality you couldn't be further from the truth. There is a serious decline in bass numbers over the past number of years and that is a sad reality.

Perhaps one of the most talented bass angling guides in the country is Jim Hendrick who fished the Wexford coast with his clients. The decline in numbers had seen him leave Wexford to Waterford and Cork areas in an attempt to place clients on fish. Alas he has this year decided to close his business and leave bass guiding altogether as it wasn't feasible nor fair to his client base.

Now no offence meant to you but I think I'm going to take my own experience which is 10 odd years fishing the south Wexford coast, where I live, and the opinion and experience of Jim Hendrick over your opinion, someone who only recently caught their first bass, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95370860&postcount=1378

Your comments are unfounded and lacking any factual information and only serve to paint a false image of a healthy bass fishery when in fact it is a fishery near collapse.

Sorry to derail this further - but who is presenting an anecdote as fact??

Sorry Ardinn, that may have come across as accusatory. What I meant to get across was that someone may perceive your previous statement as authoritative on the matter when in fact its personal experience.

No offence meant in any way.

TheTorment wrote: »
    @Ardinn
    I feel like I've to pull you up on your statement that the best bass fishing is in Wexford. Wexford bass stocks have plummeted in the past few years and are no way near as healthy as they once were.
    Remarks like this only serve to fuel the idea that all us well within the fishery when in reality you couldn't be further from the truth. There is a serious decline in bass numbers over the past number of years and that is a sad reality.

Perhaps one of the most talented bass angling guides in the country is Jim Hendrick who fished the Wexford coast with his clients. The decline in numbers had seen him leave Wexford to Waterford and Cork areas in an attempt to place clients on fish. Alas he has this year decided to close his business and leave bass guiding altogether as it wasn't feasible nor fair to his client base.

Now no offence meant to you but I think I'm going to take my own experience which is 10 odd years fishing the south Wexford coast, where I live, and the opinion and experience of Jim Hendrick over your opinion, someone who only recently caught their first bass, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95370860&postcount=1378

Your comments are unfounded and lacking any factual information and only serve to paint a false image of a healthy bass fishery when in fact it is a fishery near collapse.

I heard that Jim Hendrick was indeed winding up but I didnt actually believe it.

Like yourself I have quite a bit of experience (but alot less than some) behind me in both shore and inshore methods. My thoughts are exactly as you say, that the fishing is in decline.

OK

I simply stated - in My experience - the best fishing the OP could hope for within a reasonable distance of wicklow is south wexford!

I never said the fishing was healthy, unhealthy, in decline, on the up - good bad or indifferent!!

Dont attack my post because you say the fishing is in decline when I never mentioned the stocks.

And with regards my first bass - a pic which was taken sometime before being posted - I never claimed to be in the 000's I just offered opinion on what the OP asked about!

So get down off that horse your up on and maybe simply answer the op's question!

TheTorment wrote: »

And what comments exactly are unfactual??

OK

I simply stated - in My experience - the best fishing the OP could hope for within a reasonable distance of wicklow is south wexford!

I never said the fishing was healthy, unhealthy, in decline, on the up - good bad or indifferent!!

To be fair, you didn't, on either count. I think you were misinterpreted because you weren't clear in your original post.

We know what you mean now though :)

Thanks - What part was unclear though - genuinely dont know how what I said lead yer man on his rant!

@Ardinn
    I was not ranting nor was I preaching from a high horse.

It was the first line of your post where you proclaimed that the "Best bass fishing if you can get down will be in south wex (thats all your getting )" which lead me to believe you were promoting Sth Wexford as the best bass spot. I see from your post above that you did not intend it the way it was written so I may have been a little harsh on you so I apologise. I do however still stand over my interpretation of that line.

Advertisement