Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

15km cycle to work - No Showers

• 25-05-2015 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I would love to be able to cycle to work but unfortunately cannot do so as there are no showers where I work??

Has anyone encountered this problem before? And if so, is there any shower facilities in Dublin City Centre?

I'm waiting for flyefit in George's St to open but it's looking like it won't be ready until Aug, any other options or suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S don't want a baby wipe shower!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

I would love to ride my horse to work but there is no stable at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I would love to be able to cycle to work but unfortunately cannot do so as there are no showers where I work??

Has anyone encountered this problem before? And if so, is there any shower facilities in Dublin City Centre?

I'm waiting for flyefit in George's St to open but it's looking like it won't be ready until Aug, any other options or suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S don't want a baby wipe shower!

Panniers are awesome. Sweaty back no more! You can easily fit your normal stuff and a change of clothes!

Also, leave a tiny bit earlier, cycle a tiny bit slower, and bring deodorant. Dress so that you don't end up dripping in sweat once you get peddling.

If you want to be certain you're as fresh as possible after the commute, you could shower in the morning before leaving. Then even a little sweat won't be the end of the world! Or at least shower daily.

Not got much else to offer. Unless you change your mind on the baby wipes.......! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

I commute 15kms each way most days from Shankill to Ballsbridge and certainly wouldn't be comfortable facing the day in the office without having a shower particularly as the weather warms up!!
    Could you give yourself a good upper body wash stripped to the waist at a sink in the Gents? That might do the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Is there any fields close by , maybe talk to a few farmers if there was and ask if it was possible to leave horse there while at work .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭bsloepro

Markevitz gym in townsend street do pay as you go...52 per month cash...32 if you do direct debit....no membership fees....bike in....lock bike outside....shower...get ur work clothes on and ur good to go....its well central....works for me anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Have a shower before you hit the road, 15k is not that far so maybe leave a bit earlier and go a bit easier....

These are your friends! baby_wipes.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Washing at the sink works ok. I often cycle those sort of distances, and I've never bothered with a shower, even when available. Bring changes of top too. You can can even use the just-worn top as a towel to dry yourself off, and put it in a plastic bag after.

You have to freshen up immediately when you get to work though, so don't let anyone stop you for a chat.

Ken Kifer's old website has been archived, and he had some pretty good advice on this subject:
    http://phred.org/~alex/kenkifer/www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/commute/solution.htm
    (Under "Too Dirty, Too Smelly, or No Place to Change")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Washing at the sink works ok. I often cycle those sort of distances, and I've never bothered with a shower, even when available. Bring changes of top too. You can can even use the just-worn top as a towel to dry yourself off, and put it in a plastic bag after.

You have to freshen up immediately when you get to work though, so don't let anyone stop you for a chat.

Ken Kifer's old website has been archived, and he had some pretty good advice on this subject:
    http://phred.org/~alex/kenkifer/www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/commute/solution.htm
    (Under "Too Dirty, Too Smelly, or No Place to Change")

I agree with this.

I do 20kms each way and only shower when I get home in the evening. Once you are using good cycling gear and changing into clean clothes you shouldn't have an issue. Its not like you are not showering regularly. I think one shower a day is plenty.

I do have a towel in work and a rub with that and some deodorant does the trick for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

Wear cycling gear on your way in and wait until you have cooled before changing. Change every item of clothing. Baby wipes + change of all clothing (bring socks, underwear and a shirt with you, leave your suits + shoes in the office) is fine. I have shower facilities but I generally don't take the time to use them - the shower is not well ventilated so I end up sticky if I change in the shower area, I am better off just cooling down, wiping down and changing in my office. I shower in the morning and again when I get home in the evening. Sweat stinks when it is stale, any residue left after I wipe down doesn't get smelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Fian wrote: »
    Wear cycling gear on your way in and wait until you have cooled before changing. Change every item of clothing. Baby wipes + change of all clothing (bring socks, underwear and a shirt with you, leave your suits + shoes in the office) is fine. I have shower facilities but I generally don't take the time to use them - the shower is not well ventilated so I end up sticky if I change in the shower area, I am better off just cooling down, wiping down and changing in my office. I shower in the morning and again when I get home in the evening. Sweat stinks when it is stale, any residue left after I wipe down doesn't get smelly.

That's the key, cooling off. And to shower before you head off from home, though I be slightly hesitant of those offering hygiene advice from people with office jobs who would not shower every morning :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

bsloepro wrote: »
    Markevitz gym in townsend street do pay as you go...52 per month cash...32 if you do direct debit....no membership fees....bike in....lock bike outside....shower...get ur work clothes on and ur good to go....its well central....works for me anyway :)

32 euro a month for the privilege of taking a shower.
    Doubt many can afford or justify that luxury.

terrydel wrote: »
    32 euro a month for the privilege of taking a shower.
    Doubt many can afford or justify that luxury.

People may contribute if the side effects are problematic in the workplace :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

People may contribute if the side effects are problematic in the workplace :D

Haha, wear a bin liner for the first month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

That's the key, cooling off. And to shower before you head off from home, though I be slightly hesitant of those offering hygiene advice from people with office jobs who would not shower every morning :rolleyes:

Hey I heard that!

I do shower twice a day btw, not in the office though, at home before I cycle in and again when I arrive home in my cycling gear. As I said changing in my office i feel cleaner than if i get into a small shower cubicle and change there - it is full of steam and i end up sweating into my shirts from the heat of the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I do a 14km cycle round trip everyday to work. I shower in the evening about an hour before going to bed so I don't need to shower in the morning. I found that I'd sweat that bit more if I shower in the morning before cycling to work. I leave my shoes and deodorant in work and I bring shirt, pants and towel in bag.

Fian wrote: »
    Hey I heard that!

I do shower twice a day btw, not in the office though, at home before I cycle in and again when I arrive home in my cycling gear. As I said changing in my office i feel cleaner than if i get into a small shower cubicle and change there - it is full of steam and i end up sweating into my shirts from the heat of the shower.

Yeah I have had that experience, you just aren't able to cool down in the pokey facilities, and end up sweating after showering, not very pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I commute 9k each way. I still need a shower because I'm incapable of cycling slowly :pac:

I think the key is discipline to cycle slowly so you don't sweat as much and then a basin wash in work. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with that but i guess people sweat at different rates/levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dont mind what the boss says, just do it. make sure to bring him a bit of hay though. he ll probably get bored and hungry while watching you work

Advertisement