Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on IP CCTV

Options
  • 25-05-2015 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking for advice on buying an IP CCTV system.

Initially, the DVR is what I need the advice on. It should have a minimum of 4 inputs, ideally 8, any more would be redundant for my needs. Each input (All channels simultaneously) should be capable of HD recording at 25 FPS. Each channel with sound would be nice but not a deal breaker. POE built in would be nice but I would be willing to setup a separate switch if required. A fan-less unit would be preferential as I don't want it to be too noisy. I am willing to purchase the unit form an Irish supplier if their prices are reasonable, other wise a web purchase will be most likely. I have seen one HIKVision DVR on an Irish website (No cameras or extras) for €750 that is available online for $240 to $320 depending on site. The Irish one had a large hard Drive, but even allowing for that plus exchange rates, taxes and so on that is one hell of a mark-up. So by reasonable I would be talking 25% to 40% max, above European web suppliers for the Irish web suppliers. Any links to websites should have prices displayed on them. Most links in the supplier links section require you to ring to get a price on equipment, "ain't nobody got time for that".

Summary of boxes to tick.
    8 Channels.
    Full HD (Full FPS) recording on all channels. (Audio optional)
    IP camera support (analogue not required)
    POE Built in.
    Low Noise/reliable.
    Should be capable of controlling PTZ cameras.
    Ideally under €500 for the DVR.

Cost is not the deal breaker if it is the right system. I will skimp on the cameras initially and improve on them when funds allow. System will eventually have two PTZ cameras and four to six fixed dome/bullet cameras. Also note, this is for a domestic/residential environment, it is not for a business or commercial use and is unlikely to be ever required for court use. As this is for a private residence, surrounded by other private residences, the ability to mask adjacent properties in software would be desirable. Otherwise I will have to be prudent with the camera positioning.

Advertisement