Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S05E07 - The Gift - HAVE NOT READ the books

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

A couple of posters on this thread have made reference to Oleanna Tyrell have a part in Cersei's imprisonment. Personally I don't think this is the case at all. The High Sparrow is a religious zealot and I believe he sees it as his duty to 'cleanse' King's Landing of all those that don't follow the words of the Seven Gods. Hence why he was seen scrubbing the floor.

The scene between him and Oleanna clearly showed that she had no influence over him whatsoever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Brancott

I loved that episode, this season has been slow but now we're getting to the meat of it.

Sam giving the dragon glass to Jon has to mean something, Jon gets rejected by wildings, white walkers attack, Jon kills white walkers, wilding follow Jon, can't be that simple.

The Shireen sacrifice is just the sort of thing GRR Martin would do, worries me even more what Liam Cunningham said about some upcoming horror.

I don't understand why Thommen won't just send in the army now, not much more to lose.

The Feminazis have sand in there vaginas again over something, they've oxygen now & boy don't they love it
    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/game-of-thrones-sand-snakes-sexual-assault-gilly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

The meeting in the brothel between little finger and Olenna was the key to teh Cersei arrest. He said he had a gift for Olenna, the gift was Lycell Lannister (aka brother Lycell now) who is Cersei's cousin. He rode the box off her and also will testify that her and Jamie were getting jiggy with it. O and that Tommen is an incest child with no rightful claim to the throne. All goes tits up for Cersei.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

The meeting in the brothel between little finger and Olenna was the key to teh Cersei arrest. He said he had a gift for Olenna, the gift was Lycell Lannister (aka brother Lycell now) who is Cersei's cousin. He rode the box off her and also will testify that her and Jamie were getting jiggy with it. O and that Tommen is an incest child with no rightful claim to the throne. All goes tits up for Cersei.

Ah she’s really fudged it up now.

Her misguided rage at Tyrion for the death of Jeoffry has her in a red hazed blindness. She’s sent Jamie away, she’s jealous of Margery, she craves power, she’s trying to protect the last of her children yet as Tyrion said “you’re not half as clever as you think you are” so she really has not got the ability to see danger or have contingency plans.

I think the soppy speech she have Tommen was rather important, it was his death sentence in a way.

As I said last week, the Lannisters time on the throne is nearing its end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

But how did LF get Lancel to come forward? He ran into him in the previous episode and Lancel doesn't particularly like him. The High Sparrow also said that when Lancel joined them he admitted everything. So the High Sparrow has known about them for a good while now but used Cersei first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

But how did LF get Lancel to come forward? He ran into him in the previous episode and Lancel doesn't particularly like him. The High Sparrow also said that when Lancel joined them he admitted everything. So the High Sparrow has known about them for a good while now but used Cersei first.

Maybe the High Sparrow is not as holy as he seems. Or maybe he knew about Cersi already from Lycell and decided to use her first to get rid of a few Tyrells for good measure. Either way I think High Sparrow is a schemer as much as the rest of them, he doesn't want the throne but he does want power over the masses so he can show them the light of the 7 and battle off the growing cult of the red god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

I reckon LF's gift to Olenna will be Olyvar who is his employee lets not forget.
    He had no problem offing Roz so whats another piece of meat? Presumably then he cannot testify against the Tyrells.

Once the incest comes out King Tomen will be killed Id say. Stannis then 100% rightful king

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Tyrion is now the only person to have met both Dany and Jon Sneu

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mormegil

golfball37 wrote: »
    I reckon LF's gift to Olenna will be Olyvar who is his employee lets not forget.
    He had no problem offing Roz so whats another piece of meat? Presumably then he cannot testify against the Tyrells.

Olyvar is the young man he gave to Cersei though and I think (without rewatching) that he says he has a different young man as a gift for Olenna.

Not sure if killing off Olyvar would help the Tyrell sibblings or not. The High Septon and other witnesses did hear Marge lie with their own ears. It's possible with the death of Olyvar that Loras would be let off but not Marge.

A lot of people (including many professional reviewers) think it is Lancel that Littlefinger is talking about but if that is the case he's taking credit for something he had nothing to do with (not the first time) as Lancel had confesssed his sins to the High Sparrow long before.

Another possibility for the young man Littlefinger is offering to Olenna is Gendry. Olenna could offer the High Sparrow Gendry to crown as the new King. A son of a previous King but still a common man who would in theory have the interests of the small folk in mind.

Marge once freed would not doubt get a quick divorce (If Tommen hasn't been executed for being a child of Incest) and Marry newly crowned King Gendry the First. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I thought last night's episode was easily the best of the series so far, **** is really starting to go down, I thought the best moment was Tyrion meeting Dany for the first time, really interested to see how that pans out. Cersei getting herself into trouble with the fanatics was inevitable and it leaves Littlefinger (who remains one of the most intriguing characters in the show) in a great position now, think he could have a big influence on Tommen.

Sansa's bad luck continues but far from being upset or disillusioned or silliest of all worried about GOT treatment of women (a. GOT thrones is set in a time were women aren't really equal, we knew that from the very start and b. some of the best and most powerful characters are female so what's the problem?!), I'm just taking Sansa's situation as a recurring joke. Think of her as the GOT version of ol' Gil or Hans Moleman, infact I've actually started referring to her as ol' Gil :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

J. Marston wrote: »
    Tyene might not be able to fight but she has other talents. An amazing pair of talents.

Phenomenal talents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

NOT READ THE BOOKS SO BELOW IS COMPLETE SPECULATION
    At what stage is The Mountain going to save Cersei?

the scene from the last series where Cersei asks that doctor dude who is helping him "will it weaken him?" to which he replies in a sisnister fashion "Oh no". Surely something has to come of that???

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomfla

Am I the only person who was disappointed with Brienne's exit.

Good hard hitting TV when it was revealed but I thought she might have a bigger say. Also is her squire a gonner as well or did he part ways with the big girl already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

gimmick wrote: »
    NOT READ THE BOOKS SO BELOW IS COMPLETE SPECULATION
    At what stage is The Mountain going to save Cersei?

the scene from the last series where Cersei asks that doctor dude who is helping him "will it weaken him?" to which he replies in a sisnister fashion "Oh no". Surely something has to come of that???

Trial by combat probably if he is ready, be funny if they merge trials into Ser loras vs the Mountain visiting the duel in season one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Tomfla wrote: »

Good hard hitting TV when it was revealed but I thought she might have a bigger say. Also is her squire a gonner as well or did he part ways with the big girl already

What are you talking about? The only shot of Brienne in this episode was of her watching the derelict tower for Sansa's signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It wasn't Brienne that Ramsey had flayed, it was the old woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

...Brienne's exit.

eh? Did I miss something? Was that not the auld doll hung up & skinned? Did we not see Brienne watching and waiting for the candle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Jon Snow was staring at that boy a lot. I wonder was he confused by the maester's "kill the boy" and thinking hang on did he mean that boy :)

Clear something up for me. Was that not Brienne burned alive last night. Weak took the candle and went straight to his master. They then sent out the heavy lads to deal with her.

What old woman do ye think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Clear something up for me. Was that not Brienne burned alive last night. Weak took the candle and went straight to his master. They then sent out the heavy lads to deal with her.

No it was the old lady that passed Brienne's message about the candle to Sansa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It was the old lady who told Sansa to light a candle in the broken tower as she still had friends in the North. And she was flayed, not burnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

it was the old woman who told Sansa to light the candle if she needed help in the last episode

Ramsay went on about "how tough she was" and "we breed 'em tough in the north" etc

Brienne is not from the North

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

There was an old woman who said the north remembers and she still has friends to Sansa, if she ever needed help she should light the candle. Thats the woman who was killed. Brienne is just having a camping trip nearby.

Oaky, fair enough then. I thought it was Brienne.

TBH I reckon the big girl will still have a huge role to play. I also thought it was the only time this season that they carried an unexpected twist. No one seems to be pulling strokes any more.

Other that Cerci getting the hairy chested nutjob to do her dirty work, which was always going to backfire considering the dogs on the street know she bore illegitimate children to her brother

Eh , that was not brienne. His name is Reek and the old woman was the chamber lady that had been talking to sansa who said to light a candle at the old tower if she needed help. Oh and she was not burned she was flayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Who was the guy who appeared at the end of the episode beside the High Sparrow and what does he have on Cersei?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Who was the guy who appeared at the end of the episode beside the High Sparrow and what does he have on Cersei?

He's Cercei's cousin and they were getting it on earlier in the show.

Daario in his pillow talk says to Khaleesi that she is marrying the leader of the Sons of Harpy and she doesn't blink, as though she knows this?

If this turns out to be true it was crucial info very casually arrived at or did I miss something??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Daario in his pillow talk says to Khaleesi that she is marrying the leader of the Sons of Harpy and she doesn't blink, as though she knows this?

If this turns out to be true it was crucial info very casually arrived at or did I miss something??

It was fairly obvious no? Remember when she threw one of the masters to her dragons, the other masters all knelt at Hizdahrs feet.

It was fairly obvious no? Remember when she threw one of the masters to her dragons, the other masters all knelt at Hizdahrs feet.

I missed that one I must say, I wouldn't mind I watched that episode twice. Bad form not to mention it however. Surely if Dany had the leader in captivity the whole thing could have been ended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mormegil

He then admits he's speaking out of jealousy, and doesn't know anything for sure.

The attacks have stopped since she agreed to marry Hizdar but they have also therefore stopped since she threatened all the heads of the powerful families with being eaten by Dragons.

Hizdar (if he is the leader) may have stopped the attacks as he has got what he wants but it could just as easily be that one of the other heads of Families is the Leader and he's stopped the attacks cause he's scared of being roasted and eaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Very good episode, Cerci isn't finished yet by any stretch of the imagination I feel, she has been caught but I wouldn't count her out, and no I don't know for sure I wouldn't have time to read the books.

Stannis has a serious question to ask himself there, that is an intriguing plot, she really could have told him earlier of that requirement of blood to win the battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I thought that Dornish girl was pretty hot before last night's episode, but holy christ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Mormegil wrote: »
    Olyvar is the young man he gave to Cersei though and I think (without rewatching) that he says he has a different young man as a gift for Olenna.

A lot of people think it is Lancel that Littlefinger is talking about but if that is the case he's taking credit for something he had nothing to do with (not the first time) as Lancel had confesssed his sins to the High Sparrow long before.

Another possibility for the young man Littlefinger is offering to Olenna is Gendry. Olenna could offer the High Sparrow Gendry to crown as the new King. A son of a previous King but still a common man who would in theory have the interests of the small folk in mind.

Marge once freed would not doubt get a quick divorce (If Tommen hasn't been executed for being a child of Incest) and Marry newly crowned King Gendry the First. :D

I'm not sure when Littlefinger had the time to acquire Gendry so quietly, what with all the travelling, scheming and self-widowing he had been up to.You couldn't put it past him, though. It's be foolish to put anything past Littlefinger. It'd be a welcome return to the show.

Problem with the King Gendry theory is that if Cersei's children are widely accepted as the products of incest this makes Stannis the undeniably rightful king and could send a lot of support his way. It could cause havoc to try and crowbar an illegitimate and unknown bastard like Gendry onto the throne. Stannis has a long, bloody history with the Tyrells, he is unlikely to be positively disposed to them considering his nature. The Tyrells would still be a lot better off with Tommen on the throne than giving Stannis a massive legitimacy boost.

I think there may be a third possibility as regards the "young man". It could be Robin Arryn. Littlefinger may be offering him in marriage to house Tyrell to form an alliance with the Vale that could threaten the Lannisters. Or, being Littlefinger, it could be a double cross as part of some wider plan.

Who knows with Littlefinger? It's fascinating watching his power and influence
    grow in every season as he skillfully plays every side against each other. Varys had him nailed when he described him as "the most dangerous man in Westeros".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

One of my favourite lines of the entire show was Varys saying about Littlefinger (I'm paraphrasing) "He would gladly see The Seven Kingdoms burn if it meant he could be ruler of the ashes." We got a taste of that last season but this year Littlefinger really has been lighting a lot of matches.

So many scenarios running through my head of the saga in kings landing , first time this series thats happened. I have this hunch there is going to be a play on tommen where is going to have to choose between his mum or margery and at least the threat of being "legally" put of the throne comes into.

I would be some craic if he was ousted, with the "rightful" heir about to lay seige way up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

One of my favourite lines of the entire show was Varys saying about Littlefinger (I'm paraphrasing) "He would gladly see The Seven Kingdoms burn if it meant he could be ruler of the ashes." We got a taste of that last season but this year Littlefinger really has been lighting a lot of matches.
    Speaking of which, what's happened to Varys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

seligehgit wrote: »

or thorys of myr, or gendry, or bran and hodor, or rickon and aysha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

duploelabs wrote: »

Thoros of Myr: Missing in action.
    Gendry: Row, row, row your boat.
    Bran: In a tree with the man/tree hybrid very far north.
    Hodor: Hodor?
    Rickon & Asha: With the Umbers.

I'm actually convinced that Rickon has a big part to play still. He's being hidden by the Umbers and he's male so he would rank ahead of Sansa in terms of being the heir to Winterfell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Gendry: Row, row, row your boat.
    Bran: In a tree with the man/tree hybrid very far north.
    Hodor: Hodor?
    Rickon & Asha: With the Umbers.

I'm actually convinced that Rickon has a big part to play still. He's being hidden by the Umbers and he's male so he would rank ahead of Sansa in terms of being the heir to Winterfell.

Surely Bran makes him somewhat irrelevant? I'm assuming Bran has a large part to play yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Surely Bran makes him somewhat irrelevant? I'm assuming Bran has a large part to play yet.

Dunno, Bran's story seems really supernatural. Him ending up back being the head of Winterfell after discovering that he warg into people and animals would seem a bit bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

He is still waiting for Tyrion to get out of the jacks.

Still on the road to Meereen to offer his services to Dany having lost Tyrion, I would assume.
    or thorys of myr (Drunk), or gendry (?), or bran and hodor, (away with the fairys... literally) or rickon and aysha (last seen heading to seek sanctuary with the Umbers ((firm Stark allies)))

Last we heard.

He does but more I think with the high fantasy elements (ice zombies, wargs, dragons).

Rickon may well become crucial to the political/military side when he does finally emerge. I can see him being used later on to rally the North to a side or even rallying it to his own cause of retaking Winterfell from whoever happens to be there when he comes of age. I can see Stannis happily allying with him in exchange for fealty, as he intended to do with Jon. Stannis' race may well be run before Rickon reappears though.

He'll be a formidable player in the future, especially under Umber tutelage. They'll quite likely make a badass of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

That was brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Stannis has a serious question to ask himself there, that is an intriguing plot, she really could have told him earlier of that requirement of blood to win the battle.

Tis interesting alright. could someone elaborate on this part of the episode for? why might it be benificial to kil shireen? also has the witch alternative motives or is she faithful to stannis?

ws a bit lost through that convrsation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

Old Perry wrote: »
    Tis interesting alright. could someone elaborate on this part of the episode for? why might it be benificial to kil shireen? also has the witch alternative motives or is she faithful to stannis?

The red woman is big on sacrificing people with king's blood to her burning god in order to make the right visions come true. That's why she was gunning for Gendry a couple of series ago before Davos freed him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Old Perry wrote: »

As far as we know she is loyal to Stannis. Then again we don't know a hell of a lot about her either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

I thought that Dornish girl was pretty hot before last night's episode, but holy christ! :D
    I've decided I'm prepared to overlook her dodgy fighting skills for now.

I've been amused by sight of Danerys and Margery holding the bed sheets over their boobs in their bedroom scenes. If the actresses don't want to go topless any more then that's absolutely their prerogative but do we have to have that old TV cliche?
    Gendry: Row, row, row your boat...
    I reckon Gendry fell out of the boat within five minutes of Davos telling him not to!
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Stannis: "Right Davos, no more plots, no more politics, no more deceit, no more grammatical errors, no more waiting. We march forward and attack. Nice and straightforward at last, just the way I like it."
    Melisandra: "You should kill your only child."
    Stannis: FFS!

Did anyone else cop that Danyres decree that the fighting pits should not use slaves was being blatantly ignored right in front of her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

CFUEY89WYAIlBYy.png:large

• Advertisement
Advertisement