Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clip in pedals

• 25-05-2015 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I've looked through boards and most threads are 2 years old. I'm looking for a pair of clip in pedals and shoes for a very inexperienced cyclist.

Also i got out for a few trips last year before an injury and have just started again. I don't remember the saddle soreness being this bad. Am i better to let it settle or cycle on through it and get used to it.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The type of pedals depends on your budget. I don't think there's any pedals that are easier for beginners than others, they're all very simple to use.

Re: saddle soreness, have you had a bike fit done?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭easygoing1982

Brian? wrote: »
    The type of pedals depends on your budget. I don't think there's any pedals that are easier for beginners than others, they're all very simple to use.
    Would any shoe fit in to any pedal. It's just that i have to order online. My budget would be €150 or so at the moment.
    Re: saddle soreness, have you had a bike fit done?
    I did. everywhere else is grand. It's just my ass. I'm wearing padded gear as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Ger.O.Mahony

You can get Light Action Clipless Pedals by Shimano - R540 SPD SL, they're easier to clip in and out, got some for my wife when she switched to clipless. Might be worth a look. I think Look do a similar pedal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

What size shoe are you?

I've a spare set of pedals (look Keo) and shoes i'm gonna sell soon, the pedals are used but the shoes are brand new.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Any SPD pedals with a platform can be easier starting off because you can take a few pedal strokes moving off without being clipped in. This can make hill starts much easier. Pedals with tension adjustment also make clipping in and out easier if you leave the tension very loose starting out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Fian

Would any shoe fit in to any pedal. It's just that i have to order online. My budget would be €150 or so at the moment.

I did. everywhere else is grand. It's just my ass. I'm wearing padded gear as well.

Everyone gets sore there, your muscles will harden up and it will improve. If it persist beyond a few weeks you may need to look at changing your saddle.

I suggest SPD shoes/pedal (often called mountain bike pedals). Shimano a530 pedals have a platform on one side and a clip on the other, though the platform can get slippy in the rain. The main benefit of SPD is that they are easier to walk in - the cleats are recessed into the sole of the shoe instead of protruding from it.

currently €35 in evans cycles (includes free delivery), check a few other websites to see if you can get them cheaper.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/a530-touring-pedals-oe--ec050912

Fian wrote: »
    Everyone gets sore their, your muscles will harden up and it will improve. If it persist beyond a few weeks you may need to look at changing your saddle.

I suggest SPD shoes/pedal (often called mountain bike pedals). Shimano a530 pedals have a platform on one side and a clip on the other, though the platform can get slippy in the rain. The main benefit of SPD is that they are easier to walk in - the cleats are recessed into the sole of the shoe instead of protruding from it.

currently €35 in evans cycles (includes free delivery), check a few other websites to see if you can get them cheaper.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/a530-touring-pedals-oe--ec050912

am i right in thinking if i buy the SPD pedal, any SPD shoe should fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

There are two types of SPD (SPD and SPD SL I think). As a novice I have switched my shoes from SPD to SPD SL easily enough. The attachment to the shoes comes with the pedals

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

As above, with your budget I'd reccomend SPD pedals. Any 2 hole shoe will take an SPD cleat.

Do you care how easy it is to walk around in the shoes?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Aldi have some SPD shoes in at the moment, they look nice enough.
    I bought a pair of both types pedals and shoes (cheap second hand). I had the SL first but didn't like them so switched to the SPD, very handy. Bought a spare pair of shoes recently and probably upgrade the pedals but they're still going strong

• Advertisement

Do you care how easy it is to walk around in the shoes?

I'm not great on hills and have been known to walk mid way up a steep one. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'm not great on hills and have been known to walk mid way up a steep one. :)

Could be better off with SDPs so, much easier to walk in, easier to start on a hill. I reckon the M424 is a great general purpose pedal at a very low price. Double sided makes it easy to clip in and out of, the cage makes it for use with regular shoes and cycling a few strokes without clipping in when using SPD shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Just a query, I have SPD-SL myself, I do see a lot of road bikes with SPDs, are SPDs technically an offroad/MTB pedal?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Depending on what type of cycling you're doing you could go down the pedal strap route - I use SPD's for my road bike and these Bagaboo pedal straps for my fixed gear for day to day cycling around town/gym/shops etc/ Love em!

http://www.bagaboo.hu/en/catalogue/bagatoe-pedal-strap

Advertisement