Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overcharging on the 410 to Oranmore with the leap card

Options
  • 25-05-2015 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all. Does anyone else find it ridiculous that the price you get charged for using the leap card on the 410 is determined by the driver? I'm regularly charged the price from Galway city (3.28) even though I'm getting on at gmit. I've also been charged 2.40 (the price from gmit to Oranmore without the leap card) and been told the discount doesn't apply. If I'm lucky I might get charged 1.92, which I believe is the correct price. I could be wrong on that though. Has anyone else experienced similar? I've complained to leap card and got a refund but I can't email them every time it happens.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's quite a chore to track these fares down on BÉ's website!

In fact, the FareFinder (http://www.busfare.co.uk/eireann.html - which is linked to from this page on their website http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=237#fares and appears to be the only place on the site where provincial city bus fares are listed) doesn't list route 410 at all!

Galway - Oranmore on Galway City buses (ie 410) should be 2.40 cash and 1.92 on Leap - as per page 17 of this document. That said, I'm not sure if starting the journey at GMIT rather than the bus-station should make it less than 12 stages, and thus cheaper (and I'd guess that BÉ aren't sure either).

But if you make the same journey on one of the regional buses, Galway - Oranmore adult single is €3.90 with the 5% on-line discount applied, according to their on-line ticket purchasing system. I'm pretty sure that this fare will take account of GMIT being closer, though, and I'd guess that you're being charged the regional-bus rate if they're putting 3.28 onto your Leap card.

It's tedious, but I think you should keep complaining to Leap every time. And perhaps to Bus Éireann (details here: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2012/10/bus-companies-in-galway-city-ireland.html ... or I've found that twittering to @Buseireann is quite effective) until they get their s**t sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 410 from Galway to Oranmore is a lot more than 2.40 - that 3.90 fare applies to the 410 as well. It's ridiculously over-priced.

It used to be cheaper from Oranmore - GMIT but there wasn't any allowance for the opposite from GMIT to Oranmore - from what you're saying they finally changed that which is good at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

Thanks. I guess I'll just keep emailing them so. It'd be nice if they knew what they were at though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The 410 from Galway to Oranmore is a lot more than 2.40 - that 3.90 fare applies to the 410 as well. It's ridiculously over-priced.

Have you got a reference for that?

There would be no point in the NTA approving a fare for 12+ stages on Galway city buses if it did not apply to the Oranmore route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm from Oranmore. I get the bus sometimes. It has always been far more expensive than city routes.

And in the past as per the OP's experience, I have always been charged the full amount travelling from GMIT to Oranmore, though I have gotten a reduced rate from Oranmore to GMIT any time I've asked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement