Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got sky and told by neighbour property management don't allow it

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

murphyaii wrote: »
    it is a ground floor apartment.
    dish is out the back.
    think i'll hang some plastic flowers off it to brighten it up.
    it is not vandalism, jaysus, the things people will say.

It will probably be gone in a few days. I wouldnt put to much effort into it.

Our management company charges the cost of a cherry picker, man hours and disposal rates for the removal of satellite dishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

dish is out the back.

Was a hole drilled in the wall to feed the cable into the apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

As i thought.
    How the hell can it be illegal to mount a dish?
    only in this banana republic would they make it illegal.
    good to see europe voted the right way on this.

You are more than welcome to take a case to the European court, to get permission to have a dish. Until then, the management company are well within their rights to remove the dish and charge you an admin fee for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

dish is out the back.

You rent the apartment you dont own it so drilling holes in outside walls to run cables without having permission to do so from our landlord can easily be considered vandalism.

Also generally speaking external walls do not belong to the property owner in such properties as this so even if you were the owner you do not own the external wall and therefore dont have permission to put a satellite dish on it. As such you are more than likely breaking the terms of your lease contract and the landlords own contract with the property management company.

Its unlikely the satellite will remain there for long so going forward the best option is to speak to the management company about a communal dish for Sky, they will only do so though if enough people are looking for it.

Mod note: Please stay on topic and do not advocate or applaud potential damage to management company property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Remind Me Tomorrow

In the OPs case yes they can take it down. you don't own the apartment and the landlord doesn't own the walls which you have drilled into.

But it is not always the case that the management company can enforce a no dish policy. My management company has a no dish policy based on them being deemed "ugly". They tried to enforce the rule on freehold houses within the estate. Needless to say all the houses have dishes. They couldn't give a clear definition of ugly and also couldn't get around the fact that it is more illegal for them to enter someone's property without permission and steal their dish than it is to mount an "ugly" item on your wall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I already answered this with one word in post #2, so, what are the last 35 posts about?

It's absolutely crazy that management companies ban dishes like this. A satellite dish is pretty much a necessity in this day and age, they should either allow people put up their own dishes or provide a communal one.

It's absolutely crazy that management companies ban dishes like this. A satellite dish is pretty much a necessity in this day and age, they should either allow people put up their own dishes or provide a communal one.

We don't know who has banned the dish in this case, whether it's a management company decision or a planning permission issue. Speculation without facts is not helpful. We do know that the development has upc so a satellite dish is not a "necessity' in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,144 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A certain auction company who deals in distressed assets drilled a sale board into the brickwork of a common property building in our development. The MC went after them and they had to have the holes professionally filled and pay costs.

Satellite dishes are dealt with similarly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I completely support the manco in my apartments banning dishes (and washing clothes/keeping bikes on balconies etc). The place looks great, and is beautifully landscaped. Dishes everywhere would ruin the aesthetics competely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

OP still hasn't let us know if there is a shared dish installed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As i thought.
    How the hell can it be illegal to mount a dish?
    only in this banana republic would they make it illegal.
    good to see europe voted the right way on this.
    You're making a mountain out of this. It's not illegal to mount a dish. The owner of the property may deny you permission to mount one to their property. For whatever reason they choose. That's their business. 'Banana republic'? That just comes across as a bit silly. Buy a gaff. You can bolt whatever you like to it then. Europe didn't vote on the situation you outline. You signed a lease agreeing to abide by the common rules laid down by the management company. You could always move?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

athtrasna wrote: »
    The OP is not an owner and had no right to install a dish.

The landlord or owners in these cases have no right to install a dish either. Its idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redappple

Being tired of upc gives you no rights or entitlements to get a satellite dish.

Couldn't agree more. You can't honestly think that all of us renting in apartments/built up areas are choosing UPC by choice . . ?!!!:D

mickdw wrote: »
    The landlord or owners in these cases have no right to install a dish either. Its idiotic.

That's as may be, but they did agree to it. Satellite dishes weren't invented since these properties were built and sold.

redappple wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. You can't honestly think that all of us renting in apartments/built up areas are choosing UPC by choice . . ?!!!:D

Of course you are. D'telly isn't compulsory y'know!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

riclad wrote: »
    look on the satelite forum,on boards.ie
    What some people do is put a small dish on a balcony,
    if your building faces in the right direction ,
    you can get a signal .
    It can be placed so it is not visible from ground level .
    if the balcony has got a solid floor ,
    ie not just a metal frame type balcony .
    also paint the dish white ,or grey ,
    same color as the balcony to blend in .

IN cases where putting installing a dish on the walls is not allowed .
    My Friend lives in an apartment ,
    every unit is wired for sky tv,
    from a dish on the roof.
    Even people who buy an apartment have no legal right to put up a dish .

Reads like a Paul Durcan poem. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

mickdw wrote: »
    This just highlights the utter madness of property 'ownership' where management companies are involved.

No it doesn't. Its quite feasible to get satellite TV with out the whole block plastering the building with satellites. They can often be installed more discreetly on the balcony for example. The same goes for those who decorate the front of their house with a dish which is usually in violation of local planning laws. It is usually perfectly feasible to install on the side of the house or on the chimney without being an utter eyesore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The management company is made up of the owners of the property. They can change the rules by holding an E.G.M. If you don't like the rules don't join the club

• Advertisement

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The management company is made up of the owners of the property. They can change the rules by holding an E.G.M. If you don't like the rules don't join the club

No access to a dish or being allowed to put up my own would be a deal breaker for me with a property be it rental or buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Murph_D wrote: »
    Reads like a Paul Durcan poem. Lovely.

I've had him on my ignore list for quite sometime now.

OP these rules are there for a very good reason, i know I would not like to live in a complex where there are dishes, washing and bikes hanging of people's balconies, it makes the place look like a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If you have more than 5 residents / 20% of the apartment block agreeing to sign up for sky , they will come out and put up a communal dish with all the distribution equipment and wire every apartment, perhaps get on to your neighbours and if some of you go to the management company and say this then sky for all

If you have more than 5 residents / 20% of the apartment block agreeing to sign up for sky , they will come out and put up a communal dish with all the distribution equipment and wire every apartment, perhaps get on to your neighbours and if some of you go to the management company and say this then sky for all

Sky may offer this service but it doesn't mean it will be permitted in any given development.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sky may offer this service but it doesn't mean it will be permitted in any given development.

Ofcourse not, sky will insist on management co permission for it , but theyre usually agreeable to it to stop incidents like the op's guerilla install

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If they let one put a dish up then they will all want to do it ....

294871759_10ca08537e_b.jpg

Then you end up with the building looking like this...

satellite-dishes-building-old-side-32484442.jpg

Ofcourse not, sky will insist on management co permission for it , but theyre usually agreeable to it to stop incidents like the op's guerilla install

It can create a bigger problem as evidenced in a neighbouring development. People from overseas often can't get their satellite channels on a sky feed so they see the sky dishes, take it that dishes are OK and put up their own. Cue more dishes than ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Residents (owners at least) = OMC (Management Company). The Managing agent does what it's told by the OMC. Get along to your AGM if you want Sky, we did.

Residents (owners at least) = OMC (Management Company). The Managing agent does what it's told by the OMC. Get along to your AGM if you want Sky, we did.

The OP is a tenant. Owners have rights to petition the management company, tenants do not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The OP is a tenant. Owners have rights to petition the management company, tenants do not.

I did put that in the post. The tenant of course gets on to the landlord, who may simply say here's proxy knock yourself out, or may raise it themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement