Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got sky and told by neighbour property management don't allow it

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

No there is an actually private limited company tasked with "managing" the estate. There is also a 2nd limited company which represents the residents and has directors voted for by the residents. Between the management company and the directors there are people calling the shots. We have AGM's but as I've said, there is an exclusivity deal and that is final. We the residents don't get a say.

That sounds like the Owners Management Company have appointed a Property Management Company to do the day-to-day work.

If that's the case it's generally still the Owners via their own (i.e. they own it) management company that set the rules, the property management company simply enforce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't know, I would be inclined to bluster through that argument and get permission for my dish! I reckon there is an argument that you can't block an entrant to the market on the basis of how the service is provided. Although not strictly under competition law.
    As has been mentioned in previous posts, the management company are not stopping the OP from having a dish; just that the dish cannot be attached to the wall.

I recently saw (what looked like) a dish on a stand in the living room of an apartment and I suppose it was pointing in the correct direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

No there is an actually private limited company tasked with "managing" the estate. There is also a 2nd limited company which represents the residents and has directors voted for by the residents. Between the management company and the directors there are people calling the shots. We have AGM's but as I've said, there is an exclusivity deal and that is final. We the residents don't get a say.

The company "managing the estate" are the management agent. They simply do as they are instructed by the management company, and it's directors.

All unit owners are members of the management company and elect the directors at the AGM.

But, any member can propose an item for the AGM, as per standard AGM agenda issues, and it is then up to a vote at the AGM. The management company and directors can't go against the vote of an AGM, provided that the vote is proper and also doesn't breach the terms and conditions of the lease and articles of association of the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

redappple wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. You can't honestly think that all of us renting in apartments/built up areas are choosing UPC by choice . . ?!!!:D

There broadband is great though

Yes I would agree you need the majority of residents. In my estate the residents do not get a say. There is an exclusivity deal, and as far as the management company are concerned that is final. No Sky TV, no UPC, tough sh!t, move house if you are not happy.

You know if you own the house you are the MC you can make the choice have a vote

• Advertisement

Yes there is a company tasked with managing the estate who do you think votes them in the management committee who are the owners of the apartments. You should be having an AGM every yea where they give you the finances for the year and then you can decide to vote for them or not and also you can vote to keep the management company. If the owners of the units are not doing that then ye need to get together and have your voices heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

This thread has gone woefully off topic and the OP has not come back to clarify whether or not they caused damage to management company property. Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement