Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I plant a rambling rose

Options
  • 25-05-2015 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a spot in the garden where I'm thinking of plating a rambling rose of some type.
    The spot only gets the sun until about 3 in the day.
    Do you think it's ok to plant there?

Also if you have any recommendations for a type of rose I'd appreciate it greatly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,461 ✭✭✭✭looksee

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1203/#b

This one, Zephirine Drouhan grows happily in the shade. I have one on a northfacing wall that gets no sun at all - it shares the space with ferns and berginias and is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

looksee wrote: »
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1203/#b

This one, Zephirine Drouhan grows happily in the shade. I have one on a northfacing wall that gets no sun at all - it shares the space with ferns and berginias and is lovely.

That looks lovely, thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Looksee's recommendation is a lovely rose and I'd really recommend it too, but you mentioned a rambling rose?
    They can be huge - 15m or 20m no problem at all, are not usually scented etc, so perhaps a climbing rose like the zephirine is what you have in mind? There's a much bigger range of colours, scent, blossoms available in climbers and they're not as vigorous as ramblers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi Lottapaul

Actually you are right, climbing rose is what I should have typed.
    Zephirine looks lovely.
    Do you think it would grow in spot I was thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Yes, should be happy enough there I'd say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement