Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of MUD reply by Management Agent

Options
  • 25-05-2015 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of selling a property that is part of a Mgt company.

Our mgt fees have always been up todate never an issue. Just found out from my solicitor that the Management Agency charge €300 + VAT for 'MUD Reply'.

I am at a loss as to what can justify a charge like this. The account is in the clear and from what I can make out all that is needed is a statement to say that all charges have been up to date etc.

Is this a case of Management Agents having vendors by the balls as they know the sale can't proceed until the reply from the agent is made .. hence it is a ransom charge rather than an admin charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

whippet wrote: »
    I am in the process of selling a property that is part of a Mgt company.

Our mgt fees have always been up todate never an issue. Just found out from my solicitor that the Management Agency charge €300 + VAT for 'MUD Reply'.

I am at a loss as to what can justify a charge like this. The account is in the clear and from what I can make out all that is needed is a statement to say that all charges have been up to date etc.

Is this a case of Management Agents having vendors by the balls as they know the sale can't proceed until the reply from the agent is made .. hence it is a ransom charge rather than an admin charge?
    Its also an explanation from the agent to the solicitor that the property is compliant with the Multi Unit Development Act in various ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Its also an explanation from the agent to the solicitor that the property is compliant with the Multi Unit Development Act in various ways.

€300 + VAT worth of an explanation?

My solicitor has said that usually this charge is in the region of €150 - 200 normally but our Agents decide that their charge is nearly double the norm.

I just know that I have no option but to pay what ever figure they put on it .. fuming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

can you get around it with a FOI request...specfying they respond on the specific points a MUD report would?

AFAIK they can only charge a nominal fee for this -but god knows how long it would take to process

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

daheff wrote: »
    can you get around it with a FOI request...specfying they respond on the specific points a MUD report would?

AFAIK they can only charge a nominal fee for this -but god knows how long it would take to process

it's a template form from the MUD 2011 act I believe so a letter wouldn't be accepted by the purchasing solicitor.

As far as I know 99% of the time it is a copy and paste job as the details don't change. The Mgt company is in good health, has approx 85% compliance from members and a decent sinking fund. There should be absolutely minimal work involved in copy and pasting from the last form they filled out.

Is is a racket as far as I can make out - but unfortunately they have me over a barrel as if I don't pay it the sale gets dragged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

daheff wrote: »

The Freedom of Information Act doesn't apply to private companies like a management company.

• Advertisement
Advertisement