Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which 25mm tubular tyres for racing on?

• 25-05-2015 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

Have a set of Gigantex 50mm carbon rims on Chris King R45 hubs with Veloflex Arenberg 25mm tubs. Lovely wheel and tyres, but the puncture resistance is terrible. Has cost me a couple of times in races when I know that the GP4000S tyres I ride on clinchers wouldn't have punctured.

Have been searching online and there's a wealth of different opinions out there on what's a good combination of a tub with good puncture resistance but still having decent rolling resistance. Seems a lot of reviews are from those in places with better roads than Irish races are often on, so it would be good to hear from people who are actually using tubs in races in Ireland and have found them up to the task.

The Gigantex rims are quite wide, think 25mm at the braking surface, which is why I was restricting my search to 25mm tubs. I absolutely love the GP4000S clinchers and would be happy to go with them but they're listed as 22mm which I'm not sure would work well with these wide rims.

So it looks like Continental Force (24mm) are an option and are at the higher performance end (which I'm guessing means slightly less puncture resistance) and Continental Competitions (25mm) seem to get good reviews as a decent trade-off between good puncture resistance and decent rolling resistance. Any experience with these, or other options you'd recommend?

I'll opt towards puncture resistance as the priority over rolling resistance - just have no trust in the tubs at the moment in races so need to get that back even if they're not the very fastest option out there.

Do people find Tufo Extreme Sealant works well when you do puncture, and you don't put that in ahead of time, only when you puncture, right? Does it affect the feel/speed of the wheel much?

Advertisement