Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift Voucher for restaurant that's been sold

Options
  • 25-05-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a gift voucher for a restaurant in Dublin that is due to expire at the end of July. Got it last year as a birthday present and never got around to using it.

The restaurant has since been sold and the number listed goes unanswered.
    There is an email and I got a reply saying their accounts team would be in touch but this is over 2 weeks ago and I haven't had a reply since.

What are my options here? i.e. is there anything that can be done to get a refund?
    It's my understanding that I would technically be a creditor since the voucher was never used.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Caliden wrote: »
    It's my understanding that I would technically be a creditor since the voucher was never used.

Yes but you are a creditor of the company which sold the restaurant so technically the new owners aren't obliged to honour the vouchers.

That's unless the sale included a transfer of those unused vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Is the restaurant closed?

If the restaurant is continuing to trade under a new name, I would expect the new owner to just honour the voucher as a matter of customer goodwill. You really need to talk to the manager of the restaurant. This is his job to manage.

If the restaurant has closed then you should check to see if it's in examinership or liquidation. You might be able to get your money back, but if it all goes legal, it will be very difficult in practice.

Advertisement