Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apprenticeship Electrician help

• 25-05-2015 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a few questions hopefully someone can help answer for me. I am 30 years old and I am looking to start an electrician apprenticeship. I am not in anyway put off by starting one at my age or the low pay for the first year or so.

I recently had an interview that was successful and got a 3 month trial that starts immediately for a company that installs CCTV, Alarms, intercoms and other security systems. The path to becoming qualified in this business is termed by the director giving me the interview as an 'apprenticeship' but when i asked him about it he told me 'its not the same as a standard electrician apprenticeship, and you wont be able to take a qualification away to a new or different job but instead rather experience' and when i asked about the pay in comparison to a qualified electrician i was just told that fully qualified its 'its a little less' but again no details,.. so this is something that is giving me a headache.

If i was 20 and getting into this line of work i could go for it but because im 30 and not getting any younger I want a safety net. So my questions are, in this line of business, eg installing cctv, alarms ect can you get an actual trade qualification from it or is it just this company in particular i got the trial for that doesnt seem to have one?

And would it just be worth it to hold off until I find work and get myself an apprenticeship as an electrician through the standard FAS/SOLAS route?

Thanks for any advice guys
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Unless he's registering you as an apprentice with FAS you'll never get your craft certificate thus you won't be a qualified electrician. He's also not allowed pay you apprentice wages, you'd need to be paid minimum wage, or above.

Tbh it sounds dodgy. Wait for a better offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

Unless he's registering you as an apprentice with FAS you'll never get your craft certificate thus you won't be a qualified electrician. He's also not allowed pay you apprentice wages, you'd need to be paid minimum wage, or above.

Tbh it sounds dodgy. Wait for a better offer.

What are apprenticeship wages?

Phase 2 €242.58
    Phase 4 €363.87
    Phase 6 €525.72
    4th Year €647.01
    Includes:

Aircraft Mechanics
    Electrical
    Electrical Instrumentation
    Refrigeration & Air-conditioning
    Instrumentation
    Electronic Security Systems

That first year pay is hard to look at lol, especially if im looking for work in dublin

I don't know what the waiting list is like for phase 2 these days, it was roughly a year when I went for mine. If you're really lucky you might get called after 6 months, then you're up to the next pay grade. I wouldn't bank on that though.

• Advertisement

I don't know what the waiting list is like for phase 2 these days, it was roughly a year when I went for mine. If you're really lucky you might get called after 6 months, then you're up to the next pay grade. I wouldn't bank on that though.

What is the pay rate before you get to phase 2

Starfox wrote: »
    What is the pay rate before you get to phase 2

Same as. €242. You get that from day 1, up until you complete phase 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭HoggyRS

went back when I was 23 to serve my time and the first year was a killer on that rate paying rent and car etc but once your through It money is grand really, 512 a week at the moment for being in phase 4 sat around all day in a college, can't complain!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Starfox wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have a few questions hopefully someone can help answer for me. I am 30 years old and I am looking to start an electrician apprenticeship. I am not in anyway put off by starting one at my age or the low pay for the first year or so.

I recently had an interview that was successful and got a 3 month trial that starts immediately for a company that installs CCTV, Alarms, intercoms and other security systems. The path to becoming qualified in this business is termed by the director giving me the interview as an 'apprenticeship' but when i asked him about it he told me 'its not the same as a standard electrician apprenticeship, and you wont be able to take a qualification away to a new or different job but instead rather experience' and when i asked about the pay in comparison to a qualified electrician i was just told that fully qualified its 'its a little less' but again no details,.. so this is something that is giving me a headache.

If i was 20 and getting into this line of work i could go for it but because im 30 and not getting any younger I want a safety net. So my questions are, in this line of business, eg installing cctv, alarms ect can you get an actual trade qualification from it or is it just this company in particular i got the trial for that doesnt seem to have one?

And would it just be worth it to hold off until I find work and get myself an apprenticeship as an electrician through the standard FAS/SOLAS route?

Thanks for any advice guys

Clearly this is not an apprenticeship, steer clear.
    Low pay and a "qualification" that is not recognised is a bad move.

My advice would be to contact Fás and see what a real apprenticeship is.

Advertisement