Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights for roof insulation

Options
  • 25-05-2015 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    I am converting a garage that has a solid concrete roof, I am going to put 100mm insulation board directly onto this.
    The question I have is can you install down lighters into this insulation or will it overheat, if not will I need to get a pendant type light.
    All advise is very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

zundapp wrote: »
    Hi
    I am converting a garage that has a solid concrete roof, I am going to put 100mm insulation board directly onto this.
    The question I have is can you install down lighters into this insulation or will it overheat, if not will I need to get a pendant type light.
    All advise is very welcome.

Down lighters can not be installed in this situation.
    Any other surface mounted light will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

You cant install down lighters in this scenario as there is no cavity for air to circulate. You would need to build a false ceiling for that. Probably be better off using a different type fitting like a 4ft or 5ft flouresent

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I wonder if LED lights were installed, perhaps then there would be no issues of heat effects as only a few watts involved. Perhaps others more knowledgeable than I could comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

the hole in the insulation against such a cold slab is a v bad idea.

Could u externally insulate?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 zundapp

the hole in the insulation against such a cold slab is a v bad idea.

Could u externally insulate?

Thank you for all your replies
    Hi no I had the roof fibreglassed externally only a short time ago so dont want to go through the expense of insulating extenally and then fibreglassing again.
    I was wondering about the LED option also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

zundapp wrote: »
    Thank you for all your replies
    Hi no I had the roof fibreglassed externally only a short time ago so dont want to go through the expense of insulating extenally and then fibreglassing again.
    I was wondering about the LED option also.

Okay, so the concrete slab is now 100% impermeable to the passage of moisture so if it heats up in the summer, an idea called solar drive will click in which will drive any moisture in the slab out into your converted garage unless it is 100% dry.

I think you need to consider a ventilated space between the underside of the slab and the insulation.

While LEDs heat up less than halogens, the base does get hot and needs to be allowed cool

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could use LED surface mounted downlighters like this.

That way you will have trendy looking energy efficient downlighters that do not impact on the integrity of your insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I have lights installed in 50mm insulation they are fire rated GU10 but limited to 11Watt fittings

I got them from aurora lighting. They discontinue fittings sometimes but I picked up more in December. They have very wide clips to fit the board and there is a little bit of insulation in the double skined fitting housing. I'm very happy with mine. I did a thermal imaging test between it and an open back fitting and there was a far better thermal response. The cold spot on the thermal board was significantly smaller on the insulated fittings.

Do a search here I've posted on them before you'll find the links.

Advertisement