Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering Windows Phone after iPhone 4S

• 25-05-2015 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm currently on a knackered iPhone 4S and strongly considering a Windows phone.

Both the 640 & 735 are available for around €180 so I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a hand with deciding?

640 has a bigger screen & battery, but AFAIK the 735 has a better screen (OLED) and camera lens.

Also, is there a migration tool for my contacts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Hi,
    Also, is there a migration tool for my contacts?

The WP will have an app pre loaded called "transfer my data" which makes it a breeze to transfer all contacts, text messages and photos from your old phone by Bluetooth.

Worked perfectly with my old android phone in any case no experience with an iPhone but I imagine it should be just as easy.

I have just ordered a new 640 XL, should have it before the weekend and will give a little review after I get it.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I have a Lumia 735, and I think the Lumia 640 camera is better - the specs. don't really give you an idea of the every-day picture quality.

As for contacts, If you use Gmail or iCloud, you can sign in on the new Lumia and everything will carry over. Microsoft provide guides for moving all kinds of content from an iPhone...

https://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/how-to/wp8/basics/moving-from-iphone-to-windows-phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i moved a few weeks ago from an android phone to a lumia 830. Very happy with the move so far overall.
    if you use whatsapp there is no way to migrate your conversations between phones on differnent OSes. The best option i could find was to go into each conversation in Whatsapp and select the option to send it to an email address WITHOUT media attachments. Otherwise the emails would fail if there were too many images/video etc in the conversation. I then copied the whatsapp images folder from my android SD card to my lumia SD card under Picutres so i'd at least have them viewable on the windows phone but obviously not in the correct whatsapp conversation contexts.
    Bit of a crap workaround buy at least have everything backed up somewhere off the android phone :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

theothernt wrote: »
    I have a Lumia 735, and I think the Lumia 640 camera is better - the specs. don't really give you an idea of the every-day picture quality....

Comparison here

http://www.wpxbox.com/camera-comparison-lumia-640-xl-vs-730-vs-640-images-videos/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Still stuck in an eternal thought loop of "735... no, 640... maybe upgrade to 830?"

Think I'll just flip some coins! :pac:

• Advertisement

Why leave iPhone?

beauf wrote: »
    Why leave iPhone?
    Don't like the design language the newer ones are going in, plus this one has turned into a POS since the iOS8 update.

A change is as good as a rest and all that.

Curiously a Lumia 800 was released at the same time as iPhone 4S and MS last updated that Jan 2013 ish. Interesting comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

A change is as good as a rest and all that.

Curiously a Lumia 800 was released at the same time as iPhone 4S and MS last updated that Jan 2013 ish. Interesting comparison.

Yeah but tbf you could probably buy 2 Lumia 800 for the price of a 4s when they where released

Out of curiosity I looked that up.

http://analogindex.com/review/samsung-galaxy-nexus-vs-nokia-lumia-800-vs-iphone-4s-comparison-review-part-2-sofware-ux-conclusions_114845.html

I think I would pick the newer 640 over the 735. Its bound to get updates quicker and longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Since the release of the 4s I have bought
    An lg optimus wp for about €200
    A htc one x android for €200
    A Lumia 925 for €200.
    You'd be a long time waiting for a new apple phone for €200

You mean like this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95256137

(2010, October) lg optimus wp on 7.8
    (2011, October) iPhone 4S on iOS 8.3 (probably last version)
    (2012, May) htc one x on 4.1.1
    (2013, May)Lumia 925 on 8.1 (maybe 10)

Its just curious how long different phones are official supported or made obsolete. I recently set up a iPhone 4 for someone and was amazed how much more works on it then on my WP. Main drawback is its quite slow for browsing.

That said the speed of the interface on WP is great. That and the way everyhing gets installed to the SD card. It just doesn't slow like other platforms. Get a 2yr old android and its constant battle to keep the bloat off it and the RAM free. Not an issue for WP.

I don't think the 512mb RAM on the older WP phones will be an issue for WP10. Might lose some features. But it will probably be the last major update for them. Hence I'd go 640. Unless the 735 was a lot cheaper. Which it isn't. 640 on Meteor is only €159. Its a no brainer unless theres apps, functionality you want missing for WP.

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/lumia-640

Yeah, went for a 640 LTE in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,670 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

the speed of the interface on WP is great. That and the way everyhing gets installed to the SD card. It just doesn't slow like other platforms. Get a 2yr old android and its constant battle to keep the bloat off it and the RAM free. Not an issue for WP.

Not an issue any more :D

On WP up to WP 8 maps / photos etc could only be saved on phone memory, quickly clogging up the system (just as Android etc.)

Was fixed in WP 8.1 iirc

I assume no-ones planning to buy a WP thats not on 8.1 at this stage.

I assume no-ones planning to buy a WP thats not on 8.1 at this stage.

Unless you can find really old stock, I don't think that's even possible?

There's a few 7.8 devices on Adverts...

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

640 on Meteor is only €159. Its a no brainer unless theres apps, functionality you want missing for WP.
    You can get an unlocked 640 from Amazon for only €175. I think I'd pay a €16 premium for an unlocked phone, but I suppose some people would see that as worth it for the ability to walk into a store to get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭dasa29

Bayberry wrote: »
    You can get an unlocked 640 from Amazon for only €175. I think I'd pay a €16 premium for an unlocked phone, but I suppose some people would see that as worth it for the ability to walk into a store to get help.

You can also get an unlocked 640 from the Microsoft store for only €179. I got my Lumia 640 from the Vodafone web store for €149.99 The Lumia 640 comes with a one year office 365 personal subscription worth €69(offer valid 1 April till 30 June.)

There's a few 7.8 devices on Adverts...

If you're only going to use it for phones calls and text messages! :pac:

• Advertisement

I have no idea where you are going with this. So I'll just agree and back away.....

Bayberry wrote: »

Any difference in getting the updates with a sim free lumia?

Any difference in getting the updates with a sim free lumia?

In practice, not really. Unlocked/carrier free devices still have to wait for updates to be approved (and they're not first in the queue for some reason?!), but at least they're not tied to a network who may never approve an update (the only examples of this are with U.S. carriers).

dasa29 wrote: »
    You can also get an unlocked 640 from the Microsoft store for only €179. I got my Lumia 640 from the Vodafone web store for €149.99 The Lumia 640 comes with a one year office 365 personal subscription worth €69(offer valid 1 April till 30 June.)

Free shipping, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Are there any shops in Dublin that sells Lumias still? Thinking of trying one out but I'd like to have a look at them first. Car phone warehouse say they'll only stock the 635 and the 535. Was hoping to see the 930 or the 1520.

I've not seen any of the higher end WPs in the shops lately. You could try Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Im looking to delve into WP and thinking of buying a 925 because of its size, looks, and solid camera.

Would you think this will get WP 10 when its released?

Most likely. Its a 1GB RAM phone so should get updates for some time.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/preview-supported-phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Good stuff, I've got an android personal phone for years but a bit fed up of this rush to get more and more RAM etc the last couple of years and the 5'+ screen sizes.

The 925 looks like a nice phone and is just under 100€ on ebay.de

• Advertisement

Im looking to delve into WP and thinking of buying a 925 because of its size, looks, and solid camera.

Would you think this will get WP 10 when its released?

Nearly all phones, especially the Lumias, are getting Windows 10 as a free update (later in the year, probably September).

Advertisement