Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Touring - Tent, Panniers & Stove.

• 25-05-2015 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

So as my wife is having her job based in Germany every couple of months for the near future I'm considering a cycle tour over to her once she is set up there with an apartment.
    It is likely that she'll be based in Bremen, North Germany so I'd be looking at cycling from Cherbourg through Belgium, Netherlands and across into Germany.
    Approx 1200kms depending on route with a rest day or two in Bruges.

I've the bike sorted with my old Trek cyclocross bike, see attached, but I will need to source panniers & rack whilst also would appreciate some information based on experience on recommended tents, stove.
    I don't want front panniers but nor am I aiming towards ultra light touring.
    C025831EA6AF4BB48F2397CFBAC04E4A-0000365274-0003764206-00800L-B4F02D0DBCE84B63AEE7AA7DE913FFEF.jpg

Alternatively if someone can give me the loan of their cargo bike so I can bring Bodhi along it'd be great!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Voies Vertes - this might be of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I used to use a msr stove, runs on petrol, diesel or coleman fuel. Stove is small and fits into a 6" cookpot in its storage bag. Fuel bottle is about 1l aluminium separate to that. Comes with a windshield, and is squat, unlike those blue gaz stoves which I find unstable and up in the wind.

Never cycled with a tent on my own only with a 3 man split between us.
    Used to bivvy, in a gore tex bivvy bag, pretty much anywhere from Glaciers to sea level. Takes a little bit of planning when its raining to get into or out of and staying dry. ~800g and 6"diameter and 10" long packed up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Been on a few Glaciers in my day, states in a mountain hut at La Grave etc. But bivvy bag - awesome! Envy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I have a Tubus Cosmo rack which usually carries a rack pack and occasionally a couple of Alpkit drybags. I also use an Oxford handlebar bag which is very handy on the move (strawberries for breakfast as I pedalled out of Enniscorthy...).

For a stove, I have something much like the Vango folding stove.

I'm currently shopping for a Decathlon 1-person cookset and a mug. A little folding wind screen completes the cooking gear.

Tea-s.jpgClub_Tour_Loaded-s.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Thanks for the replies so far folks!

I'm going to consider Bivi Bag/Tarp camping but it will have to be at a later stage and especially as I'd like to do some bikepacking with the MTB.
    Ideally a small free standing 2person tent will be needed as I'll be leaving it behind in Germany for us both to use and I just can't see Mrs. Firstin taking to the idea of bivouacking under some autobahn overpass.

I may just grab a cheap 2 person tent like the one below;

http://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/163077-backpacker-deluxe-tent.html

Not the lightest but cheap enough that if it sucks I can give it away to a festival going buddy.
    I generally use my camper so spending a lot of money on a tent is somewhat wasteful.

Pannier wise it seems that most users are very happy with Ortlieb panniers so I these on the Rose website brings them somewhat within price range.

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/ortliebrose-ortlieb-back-roller-classicrose/aid:553754

• Advertisement
Advertisement