Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft account or not? Win 8.1

• 25-05-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I have a new windows 8.1 laptop that I would like to set up soon. I've been told that Windows 8.1 is different from previous versions as it's best to create a microsoft account similar to an apple or android account with an app store etc.

I've also been told that an account is not necessary and can be avoided.

Any thoughts on the best way to go? Privacy, functionality etc
    Can I set it up now without creating an account and add one later? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭homer911

Yes, you can add one later - from what I remember it needs to be @outlook.com or @hotmail.com

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

homer911 wrote: »
    Yes, you can add one later - from what I remember it needs to be @outlook.com or @hotmail.com

You can use any email address, so gmail will also work.

If I knew this the first time around, I wouldn't have set up an outlook address for my wife.

For ease of use though, I'd recommend using one. Much like your apple or google ID, the convenience of syncing your data across devices using Onedrive is worth any possible privacy issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Also start8 or classic shell might be worth looking into, its a simple program that lots of peops use to give them back the normal windows 7 desktop, icons etc that they are used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

CatInABox wrote: »
    You can use any email address, so gmail will also work.

If I knew this the first time around, I wouldn't have set up an outlook address for my wife.

For ease of use though, I'd recommend using one. Much like your apple or google ID, the convenience of syncing your data across devices using Onedrive is worth any possible privacy issues.

So is it ok to use the same email address I already use for my android or apple accounts? I got a basic setup done earlier without an account but will look into adding an account when I sort out all the updates and backups.

Skatedude wrote: »
    Also start8 or classic shell might be worth looking into, its a simple program that lots of peops use to give them back the normal windows 7 desktop, icons etc that they are used to.

Thanks, I'll look into those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

When I set up win 8.1 , I used my gmail to set up microsoft account , but afterwards , I changed settings , because too much stuff was been stored by Microsoft .

Now when I log in , it dont ask anymore to sign-in to microsoft

• Advertisement

You don't have to set up a Microsoft account from the start. The trick is to disconnect the machine from the network (either physically or by turning the Wi-Fi off) before you start. If this isn't an option, choose to create an account, but you'll then see an option at the bottom to sign in without an account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You can use it without a live account but microsoft services work far better with them - and quite well. Among other things you can use cloud-based versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint for free on http://onedrive.live.com - while they don't have their complete set of features, for most docs for instance its all you need. And the cloud space is very useful; nobody else except maybe android on android devices has better cloud sync and backup that just works.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

homer911 wrote: »

A used to be a "Windows Live Account", and is now a "Microsoft account" uses an e-mail address as the "username", but that e-mail address can be any address - you just have to be able to receive e-mail at that address so that you can receive any validation e-mails that that are sent to the system.

Things can be a bit more straightforward if you create a new "Microsoft Account" with a new microsoft hosted e-mail address, but if you've been using an eircom.net address for 15 years like me, you can use that as your Microsoft signin address. You'll still get access to OneDrive and device synchronization, etc, it's just a bit more awkward if you need to set up e-mail if your logonID doesn't use a Microsoft account.

Also bear in mind that if you're a Skype user, you may already have a Microsoft account, even if you didn't realize it - you might want to verify that before you try to log in to Win8 for the first time.

You're also not limited to hotmail.com or outlook.com for new addresses. If your web browser is set up to use "English (Ireland)" as the default language, you also get the choice of outlook.ie. Until last year, Microsoft also supported Custom Domains for free, but now you need to use a paid Office365 subscription to get that option.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Bayberry wrote: »
    A used to be a "Windows Live Account", and is now a "Microsoft account" uses an e-mail address as the "username", but that e-mail address can be any address - you just have to be able to receive e-mail at that address so that you can receive any validation e-mails that that are sent to the system.

Things can be a bit more straightforward if you create a new "Microsoft Account" with a new microsoft hosted e-mail address, but if you've been using an eircom.net address for 15 years like me, you can use that as your Microsoft signin address. You'll still get access to OneDrive and device synchronization, etc, it's just a bit more awkward if you need to set up e-mail if your logonID doesn't use a Microsoft account.

Also bear in mind that if you're a Skype user, you may already have a Microsoft account, even if you didn't realize it - you might want to verify that before you try to log in to Win8 for the first time.

You're also not limited to hotmail.com or outlook.com for new addresses. If your web browser is set up to use "English (Ireland)" as the default language, you also get the choice of outlook.ie. Until last year, Microsoft also supported Custom Domains for free, but now you need to use a paid Office365 subscription to get that option.

And further to this, if you do have a old school Skype account, you can merge it with one other Microsoft account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Karsini wrote: »
    You don't have to set up a Microsoft account from the start. The trick is to disconnect the machine from the network (either physically or by turning the Wi-Fi off) before you start. If this isn't an option, choose to create an account, but you'll then see an option at the bottom to sign in without an account.

It's not necessary to do this just go into the option to set up a new account and then the option is there to use it with out an account.

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    It's not necessary to do this just go into the option to set up a new account and then the option is there to use it with out an account.
    Read more closely what you just quoted. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Read more closely what you just quoted. :p

If you go into the option of a new online account. The option is then in it to use a offline account. Hope that's a bit clearer. No need to disconnect from the Internet.

I already said it! Read before you quote.

In any case it's quicker to disconnect from the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭mada999

you dont need to sign up with a Microsoft account for windows 8.1... you can use a local account....

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

An update. It took a long time ie forever, to do the essential windows updates so only got that completed today (there's still over 50 non essential 8.1 updates to do). I still have to find out about the backup process but have got a new working computer and a working Microsoft ID. I will link them up some other time but was able to set everything up without the ID. Thank you everyone for all the hints and tips, they were very useful.

Advertisement