Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Vaccine?

Options
  • 25-05-2015 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Does anyone have accompanied his/her child for the vaccine by HSE at junior infant class?

I am wondering what would be the whole procedure, and should I go to the class to be with my child on the date for the vaccine?

It should be two shots and the children are only 5 years old. But parents are not invited by school, so I am not sure will I look very special if I show up on that day?

Many thanks,
    Hope

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They don't like parents present because usually it can make the child more anxious.

Also could you imagine the chaos with a load of junior infant parents hanging around the school for half the day?

If you want to be with your child id suggest skipping school vaccination day and booking your child into the catch up clinic in your local health centre where parents can be with their child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

We were invited in. We got a note a few days before, with a time for vaccinations. Half the class at 10am, the other half at 11. Kids were taken out in the order their parents arrived. It was all very organised, and civilised, nobody crying or upset. It baffles me that all schools can't organise it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭SF12

I would imagine that if you have 3 or 4 classes of infants, it's just not possible to do that.
    Also nurses may be working in a tight time frame. And from a logistics point of view, it may just be easier to leave the parents out of it - sometimes the parents are in a worse state than the kids, and whatever about a teacher being able to calm the kids down, trying to calm parents down aswell is unnecessary hardship. Many kids are more resilient than we think about these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

are they definitely on at the school? we got our's done with appointments every 15 minutes at the nearest south doc clinic by the school's doctor/nurse. that way we were with them the entire time... Parents usually have been there for every vaccine since birth so i don't see the issue of having them there for this? we were and it was fine.

if they are at the school then speak with your childs teacher about being able to drop in at the appropriate time. i'm sure they would accommodate you if you ask nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hopehope

Thanks so much for all the reply.

I understand that parents being there might add some noise and extra work and hardship for school. What's more, it's not a must really, since nurses are there.

However, I would agree with hoodwinked that parents should be there for every vaccine, as it's important to our own child.

Parents are not invited on the day of vaccine at our school, and school said parents can come if they wish. I checked a few parents at the same class and ask will they come? none of them said yes, of course some have to work that day and some have other child to look after.

So would you go, in this case, if you might be the only parents show up?

Oh, thanks so much for your patience with me...I'm just confused..

Hope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i would go but that is me personally,

maybe things are different in the primary school my daughter goes to but they actively encourage parental involvement in the school as long as you don't interfere in the classrooms. and more days than not there are parents volunteering in the school doing something. If they didn't a lot of things would just never happen.

for vaccines i'd imagine they wouldn't mind making an exception and if you are the only one who wants to be there i am sure it would mean less organising than if all the parents wanted to be there and therefore is less hassle. just talk to the teacher about it beforehand.

Thank you hoodwinked. I agree with what you said. Let's shake hands!

Thanks for everyone else's help too.

Really appreciate your input and opinion.

All the best,
    Hope

OK, sorry that i am wondering how long does the pin hole heal?
    I heard some parents say normally it can have bruise the next coule of days?

Would you also share how you deal with that pin hole? Or shall I just leave it and nobody really worry about it?

Man, I think I become a worrier after having a child...

Thanks a lot!
    Hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

hopehope wrote: »
    OK, sorry that i am wondering how long does the pin hole heal?
    I heard some parents say normally it can have bruise the next coule of days?

Would you also share how you deal with that pin hole? Or shall I just leave it and nobody really worry about it?

How did you deal with the previous vaccines? There should have been at least 12 already.

Thank u Pwurple,
    When he is a baby, after the vaccine. Normally there's nothing wrapped! And I leave it as it is.

And I didn't think much before maybe i'm too busy for nappies, milk power, washing, etc...

All right.... just leave it. It's too minor to be worried!

Really appreciate your reply. Have a nice weekend!

Hope

• Advertisement
Advertisement