Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presumably spam?

• 25-05-2015 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭

The following message appeared in my email spam folder
    Hello,

Here's a picture message you've been sent from XXX XXXXXXX.

You can send a message back from your mobile phone. But don't reply to this
    email.

Thanks,

O2

The mobile number they used is one known to me. The email came from xxxxxxxxxx@mediamessaging.O2.co.uk

Anyone else got this sort of email?

I'm assuming it's a scam, and anyway can check with the owner of the phone number if they did send me an MMS - but seems like a legit sort of a sender address, and like I say the phone number is one I'd use regularly.

What would be the scam here, does anyone know? And if it is spam, should I let the phone number owner know - have they been hacked or something?

ETA - I tried googling it and it does seem to be a scam or malware - but like I say, I'm now wondering if that other phone number has been hacked somehow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Did you check the message headers to see where it came from. You can put anything you like in the from field.

It may be coincidence that the number in the from was one you recognised or it could be your friends phone has malware on it and their address book was copied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

FSL wrote: »
    Did you check the message headers to see where it came from. You can put anything you like in the from field.

It may be coincidence that the number in the from was one you recognised or it could be your friends phone has malware on it and their address book was copied.

How would I check the message headers???

Hard to believe it's coincidence that my pal's number was used - it surely has to be either their phone or my email contacts list that's been compromised?

I'm not panicking over this, just interested in how it may have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you are using Outlook right click on the email and choose message options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Found the header info - what I think is the original sender info is definitely not what was in the sender line in the actual email, but it also seems to show an attachment which could well be legit.

Need to talk to my pal who owns the phone number before I get any more suspcious!

Thanks for the posts. :)

Advertisement