Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel from UK, no ID?

• 25-05-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭

I'm Irish, living in the UK. I've a flight booked back for the 4th of June. My passport is due back sometime this week, but if it doesn't arrive in time, I was wondering what my options are.

It was only a Ryanair flight for a tenner, so the cost isn't bothering me, and my employment ends at the end of this month, so I can travel earlier if necessary. The problem is I've no driving license or National Age Card to go with Aer Lingus instead. In fact, given that my old passport is with the Embassy as part of my application for the new passport, I have no photographic ID at all, save for my university staff ID (which will have expired by this time next week, but that probably won't make any difference).

Do the ferries require some form of ID too?
    Would getting a ferry to the North, then a bus south be viable?

I'm hoping my passport will arrive in time, of course, but just in case....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm Irish, living in the UK. I've a flight booked back for the 4th of June. My passport is due back sometime this week, but if it doesn't arrive in time, I was wondering what my options are.

It was only a Ryanair flight for a tenner, so the cost isn't bothering me, and my employment ends at the end of this month, so I can travel earlier if necessary. The problem is I've no driving license or National Age Card to go with Aer Lingus instead. In fact, given that my old passport is with the Embassy as part of my application for the new passport, I have no photographic ID at all, save for my university staff ID (which will have expired by this time next week, but that probably won't make any difference).

Do the ferries require some form of ID too?
    Would getting a ferry to the North, then a bus south be viable?

I'm hoping my passport will arrive in time, of course, but just in case....

Ryanair have their own requirements which you should look up - specifically search for requirements for flights between the UK and Ireland for adults (requirements are different for children IIRC). IME you'll have no trouble getting into Ireland on a ferry but coming back to the UK could be an issue particularly if you're a foot passenger. Stena suggest that a birth cert would be sufficient ID here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭biketard

Did your passport arrive yet, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 suzannemarie

Had same prob with daughters ID she had no photo went via coach and ferry the guards signed a photo, stamped a form. It was fine. Hope your sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Clearlier wrote: »
    IME you'll have no trouble getting into Ireland on a ferry but coming back to the UK could be an issue particularly if you're a foot passenger. Stena suggest that a birth cert would be sufficient ID here

Hmm.. Interesting..
    I came over last week and was not asked for any identification at all. Planning to go back tomorrow or Monday - hopefully they'll be just as lax...

Passport due to arrive sometime this week, so while the ferry was nice, I think I'll probably stick to flying in future.

Aside: Got up at 6 on the Tuesday morning, caught the train at 9 ( after checking with the information desk that there were no changes), sat in the seat which I'd booked online with SailRail (for £35) and was on my way. All went fine until Shrewsbury when the train split in half (unannounced anywhere) and the front half continued on towards Holyhead. I had to catch the next train, but missed my ferry, and the next ferry was cancelled due to bad weather, so I was twiddling my thumbs in Holyhead for 6 hours. Ferry was grand, but arrived in at midnight leaving not enough time to catch the 00:15 last bus to Galway, but fortunately some saint on the ferry overheard me explaining my predicament to someone else and gave me a lift to Dublin Airport where I was able to catch the last (00:30) bus to Galway. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing on the return journey and will only take me 10 hours to get back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I got the ferry both ways in April, no ID check at all. I was surprised actually, I thought the UK side would have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

flew to heathrow few weeks ago. No passport check in. Ridiciulous exit check with photo taking and questions at the boarding gate. I get the feeling had I no passport it was of to the back room with me.

Advertisement