Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grading Rubric & Thesis Template

Options
  • 25-05-2015 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

I can understand why a thesis template may not be a requirement from an institution for a postgraduate course. Regardless there are countless examples online. However, for my primary degree I was sure that it was a Hetac requirement to provide a grading rubric to student at the start of semester. Can anyone shed some light on this?

We have been given an option of a project based or academic type thesis. I've chosen a project based thesis but I am unable to find a template or rubric online to plan against. We are 4 weeks into a 16 week project and we haven't been given a rubric yet. Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

We are 4 weeks into a 16 week project and we haven't been given a rubric yet. Is this normal?

I wold say that for any assessment, providing students with a marking rubric is essential, and particularly bad form if it is not provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I wold say that for any assessment, providing students with a marking rubric is essential, and particularly bad form if it is not provided.

Completely agree. However, is it a requirement from Hetac? I'm reluctant to approach the university administration about this as it may open a can of worms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Check with whoever's supervising your project.

I don't think ive been given more than a vague outline for a thesis report and any project grading rubrics ive seen are reasonably vague with a lot of leeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

However, is it a requirement from Hetac? I'm reluctant to approach the university administration about this as it may open a can of worms.

I'm not even sure HETAC are around any more, but whatever their new incarnation, I would imagine it would be more a case of "we expect you to provide rubrics" without actually enforcing it.

I'd approach the lecturer/supervisor. Without knowing your particular issue, I'd be very surprised if you did not find support for your very reasonable request.

Advertisement