Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a decent suit in Cork

Options
  • 25-05-2015 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Anyone know where one can buy a decent suit in Cork? Have searched boards but the threads are all quite old so thought I might get an up to date view!

Also, where would one get a decent white dress shirt? I have one but it's a big baggy, would like something a little more slim fitting.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

What's your budget?

Salingers in the Winthrop Arcade might be a good option. They do custom made suits. Saville or Brown Thomas for high end. Debenhams, Marks and Spencer and the shops on Opera Lane would do competitive prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ZappaMan

Few hundred euros I guess, have a few weddings coming up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Simply Suits, next to Smyths on the Kinsale Road Roundabout. Superb service and excellent suits, went there for my wedding suits and they're top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

We went looking at wedding suits recently and must say the Gentlemens quarters had the nicest ones around town very smart and they are loverly in there, well the one who isn't local is lovely..

There is also a place down one of the side street off Oliver Plunkett heading up to the main street..Not sure is it Jacks or is Jack his name lovely chap in there some very smart cut shirts but funky... This is is on the same street as the butchers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Milly33 wrote: »
    We went looking at wedding suits recently and must say the Gentlemens quarters had the nicest ones around town very smart and they are loverly in there, well the one who isn't local is lovely..

There is also a place down one of the side street off Oliver Plunkett heading up to the main street..Not sure is it Jacks or is Jack his name lovely chap in there some very smart cut shirts but funky... This is is on the same street as the butchers

Got mine in Savilles a few years back. Not cheap, but a great suit. Not too heavy so easy to wear for a long day.

I have no personal experience with Simply Suits but a friend of mine had a terrible experience with them

• Advertisement

Yeah I was going to say they aren't great. know someone who had a bit of stinky experience with them too

If you like your suits too don't go to the one by musgraves they are grand but not the best quality

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Got a nice suit 2 weeks ago in tom murphys on Patrick St.
    Cost me 225 including alterations.seems like reasonable value to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

brevity wrote: »
    What's your budget?

Salingers in the Winthrop Arcade might be a good option. They do custom made suits. Saville or Brown Thomas for high end. Debenhams, Marks and Spencer and the shops on Opera Lane would do competitive prices.

Salingers is very expensive. I went in there last Autumn looking at getting a tailored suit (no idea of cost) and I was looking at around €800 for a 2 piece suit. They're a great shop, they stock quality, smart clothes but that was too expensive for me for a suit.
    Milly33 wrote: »

I know there are a few here who really don't like GQ but I agree with Milly33. They have a good selection of suits at good prices and I found the staff to be fine to deal with.

The last suit I got though was from TopMan. This was back last Autumn when I was looking for a suit and couldn't find anything in Salingers, BT (both too expensive), M&S (too loose fitting a light material) & GQ (had one in the maybe pile there). I went in to TopMan, not really expecting much, and found a great suit that fit like a glove and wasn't OTT expensive (just shy of €200). I was very pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭kooga

tom murphy +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Debenhams +1

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

tom murphy +1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

Bacchus wrote: »
    Salingers is very expensive. I went in there last Autumn looking at getting a tailored suit (no idea of cost) and I was looking at around €800 for a 2 piece suit. They're a great shop, they stock quality, smart clothes but that was too expensive for me for a suit.

Their selection is very nice but very expensive. They have moved three or four times as well and I'm guessing this is to do with being able to afford rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

brevity wrote: »
    Their selection is very nice but very expensive. They have moved three or four times as well and I'm guessing this is to do with being able to afford rents.

I thought they only moved once? They were on French Church st and now they are in Winthrop arcade? They move again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Cronins in Oliver Plunkett St. Ask for Matt, tell him Kevin sent you.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tony's mens wear. Princes street. All my brothers, uncles, dad, and husband go there. Not your bog standard suit, it will be a very good one. It will also be tailored to you.

Make sure you go to Tony himself. The other guys are nice, but he has the best eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Laoislion8383

You can auctually but a suit in cork anytime I am down there all I see is scangers in tracksuits, didn't imagine there was much call for s suit shop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've bought my husband some lovely dress trousers and shirts in Tony's. The man knows his stuff and the quality of the clothes is excellent. It's also a little different from the usual stuff you get in Burtons/ M&S/Debs.

Remember - you get what you pay for!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

I'm a big fan of Best Menswear in Mahon Point.

I think Tom Murphys is a bit overpriced to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You can auctually but a suit in cork anytime I am down there all I see is scangers in tracksuits, didn't imagine there was much call for s suit shop :)

Ah, but we have cultured scangers who know how to punctuate a sentence so that it makes sense.

• Advertisement

Tonys that was it... Is it Jack is his name, or wait its Tony isn't it.. Lovely guy I must say and really honest about prices etc and quality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Roar wrote: »
    Simply Suits, next to Smyths on the Kinsale Road Roundabout. Superb service and excellent suits, went there for my wedding suits and they're top class.

Got my wedding suits here too. Andrew and Conor couldn't have done enough for me (even dropped the white waistcoat to my house the night before the wedding after it was altered)

I wouldn't go anywhere else to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Bacchus wrote: »
    I thought they only moved once? They were on French Church st and now they are in Winthrop arcade? They move again?
    I think you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

pwurple wrote: »
    Tony's mens wear. Princes street. All my brothers, uncles, dad, and husband go there. Not your bog standard suit, it will be a very good one. It will also be tailored to you.

Make sure you go to Tony himself. The other guys are nice, but he has the best eye.

+1 on Tony, pure gent.
    Last few suits (2!) I've got in Fitzgeralds on Pana. Don't know is he the owner, but the middle aged chap upstairs is great

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Marybtaea

My hubby went to con murphys on patricks street in cork centre, he got a suit and shirt custom made, tailored, i know im biased but the tailored suit looked a lot better than any off the shelf
    He also was able to customise the shirt
    Conmurphys.com i think

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Map of Ireland

I bought a nice suit in Saville Mensware

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bradt Pitt

Marybtaea wrote: »
    My hubby went to con murphys on patricks street in cork centre, he got a suit and shirt custom made, tailored, i know im biased but the tailored suit looked a lot better than any off the shelf
    He also was able to customise the shirt
    Conmurphys.com i think

Best of luck with it

+1 for Con Murphys. Staff are sound and they really know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah if you can get a custom made short in Con Murphy's and a good deal on a suit I'd head there. Custom made shirts look great.
    They closest I get to them if I'm in a hurry and need one sharpish is the "Tailored Fit" range in Debenham made by Jasper Conran.

Advertisement