Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my dog too old for pups??

• 25-05-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

She is a very energetic cross in great health.

She's 7 years old and has never been neutered or has ever had pups.

Is she too old?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

If the reason is she too old to go in pup if she gets out, then no she isn't.

Is she to old to properly breed for her, then she is. Why would you want to breed for her, she's not a pedigree breed. Also you need health checks, proper vet care and proper registration to do it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is she physically too old to get pregnant? Probably not.

Would breeding from her at her age put a massive strain on her and be unfair and potentially dangerous? Yes.

Are there already too many puppies in rescues and dumped because people think 'why not breed my dog'? Most definitely.

No-one wants to buy a mongrel puppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Yes she is too old for a first litter. My dogs generally have had their last litter by age 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Pyrrhic

This was a question merely out of curiosity.

Absolutely no intention to monetize her pups what so ever. Did I say breed, no I said have pups.
    I would quite easily get homes for her pups.

So what if she is a cross? Wouldn't make her any less of a dog or a worse character because she isn't a pedigree 'mongrel'. Get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Why would you want to create puppies who would be less desirable than the pedigrees? You're creating more competition for dogs in shelters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Pyrrhic

I can argue the same to anybody with a preference to pedigrees.

I'm really not going down the 'my dog is better than yours' route.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

But a bitch must have pups to breed from her so all dogs must have pups to either breed and keep the line strong or add to the problem of unwanted pups.

My two dogs are from different farm settings.The older dog was bred for her hunting and livestock abilities and the other was out of a little of pups from god knows what sheepdogs.

The older dog was breed from a bitch and dog who had no problems and were strong and bomb proof. The younger dog's background was unknown and her personality and ability is hit and miss. Took twice as long training and time than the older dog and she still can't be left alone with lambs or will kill them.

So yeah character has a huge bearing on whether or not to breed.

The only reason I have the younger is because a family member thought they were doing me a favour when they were not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Pyrrhic wrote: »

Absolutely no intention to monetize her pups what so ever. Did I say breed, no I said have pups.

So what if she is a cross? Wouldn't make her any less of a dog or a worse character because she isn't a pedigree 'mongrel'. Get a grip.

Breeding means producing offspring. If you mate her to a male you are breeding her, that is what you are doing. You cannot get puppies without breeding your dog.

Being a cross doesn't make her any less of a dog, or any better or worse, but finding homes for mongrel puppies is not easy. Mongrel pups usually have to be given away, which makes them ideal for the type of people who plan to fight or otherwise mistreat them. If you could not find good homes for the pups what would you do with them? What would be your reason for breeding her?

A 7 year old dog is an old dog. The pregnancy, birth, and rearing the pups would put an enormous strain on her.

I think it would be very unfair to her to put her through it at her age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

As Kylith says, to have pups, you're breeding her.

She's a terrier cross. She could have 2 pups, she might have 8 pups. Who do you have lined up to take them? People are quick to say that they'll take a pup then bail when the reality hits them. Or more likely they'll realise when the dog reaches adolescence that it's too much of a handful as terriers can be tenacious and headstrong and that's why you'll find every pound and rescue in the country full of them because as cute as they are as pups, they can be too much for some people to handle. Can you guarantee that if your bitch has 8 pups that every one will lead out a happy and contented life without being surrendered to a pound or rescue with the chance of euthanasia in the pound? If in all good conscience you can't then don't do it, you'll be adding to the already significant problem of overcrowding, albeit unintentionally.

I personally wouldn't breed a 7yr old dog, let alone a cross breed, it's unfair on the dog, and unnecessary as you'll be deliberately adding to the dog population, and god knows what underlying illnesses she may have, or the sire may have. Do you intent to do health tests? And by health tests I don't mean heading to the vet for a quick once over, I mean xrays, eye tests, joint tests, on both the sire and bitch, tests which could cost hundreds, and that would soon lead you to rethink the "monetary value" of the resulting pups.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Get a grip.

Mod Note:
    Pyrrhic,
    I would suggest that you address other posters in a respectful manner. Telling people to "get a grip" is not respectful.
    You don't have to agree with everyone in this thread, and you're welcome to argue your point, but only as long as everyone remains respectful and non-inflammatory towards the other posters.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

another point to remember is don't know what way pups will come out with a cross.

I had two litter mates. One was more like a collie and the other a spaniel . Only thing that was similar about them was their size. Looks wise they were chalk and cheese. And neither of looked like mummy either or their other siblings. The litter was a real mixed bag. But have to say the were brilliant.

Advertisement