Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions of pieces for me to learn

Options
  • 25-05-2015 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

So I took up piano after Christmas this year and planning to sit Grade 3 in November. I've gotten on well with my Grade 3 pieces which I started at Easter and will spend the summer perfecting them. I'm about to finish up lessons for the summer and have some Grade 4 pieces from my teacher so I don't get bored.

I'm hoping that you guys might have some other suggestions at my level as it seems like a long time between June and September with not much new to play. I never know what is too difficult when I look online so I thought ye might point me in the right direction. I like classical pieces as opposed to modern stuff like Yiruma. I am partial to Yann Tiersan though and have learnt Comptine d'Autre Ete.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I can't recommend anything specific, but if you look up the grade syllabus, the book where each piece comes from will be listed (As well as maybe 18 different pieces that your grade was picked from). You should be able to get one of these books and tip away at that for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you're attending lessons, surely your teacher would be best placed to recommend general repertoire pieces?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

I have a couple of pieces from my teacher, I just thought that you guys might have some suggestions on some other fun pieces to play over the summer. Nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

levi wrote: »
    I have a couple of pieces from my teacher, I just thought that you guys might have some suggestions on some other fun pieces to play over the summer. Nevermind.

Without seeing/hearing you play we'd have no idea of technical facility. Grade 3 only tells us that you've completed three pieces from the syllabus. We've no idea of which pieces you chose for that exam, and why.

Also, we don't know what you like? What does 'fun' mean to you? We'd only be firing out the names of piece, with no idea as to whether they'd be appropriate!

Two from your teacher should be plenty to go on. You could also look at picking up a PVG book from any bands/singers you like. These are often put together with playability in mind. You'll be playing something familiar, and it'd be an opportunity to focus on the 'how' rather than the 'what' of playing. Work out your own fingerings etc. it could only benefit you.

Edit: Sorry. Reading back, if my second post had been my first, my first would have come across as so dismissive. Apologies. It wasn't intended. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Pumpkin PJs Fan No.9

Don't know much about grades but I do like a challenge....

I mainly play classical, but I also like certain video game scores. And I love, love, love the piano works of Claude Debussy and Isaac Albéniz...

One really fun piece I learned recently was "Melancolico" (No.2 from 6 pequenos valses) by Isaac Albéniz. It is short and sweet. That is my recommendation

Again, I have no idea about grades but O find it quite easy compared to attempting his Iberia Suite No. 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I looked up the ABRSM syllabus (here): have you tried the one about the dead donkey?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement