Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a good tenent?

Options
  • 25-05-2015 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

So to all ye Landlords what is a good tenent mean to ye?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Former landlord here. In a nutshell the tenant should pay the rent on time, respect the property, the neighbours and the law.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Rent on time every month without fail.
    Sometimes things go wrong, or a bank screw up a payment. If your gonna be late, tell the LL ASAP so he can work his finances around so he doesn't miss a payment because of you tell him honestly when it will be available.

Keep the place clean and tidy. Treat it like you would like somebody treat your house.

You have to live also, so the LL doesn't expect the house to be kept like a church, but bottom line, respect and common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

athtrasna wrote: »
    Former landlord here. In a nutshell the tenant should pay the rent on time, respect the property, the neighbours and the law.

Great reply, I would just consider those that do the above as "tenants" rather than "good tenants" as that is the minimum requirement. It is a lot easier to define "bad tenants", those that fall short of the above. On the flip side, a "landlord" is one that provides a property that meets required standards, respects the tenants and the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

A Good tenant has respect for his landlord and neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭xxtippchickxx

Rent always paid 5days in advance house is spotless i treat it like my own, house is currently on the market and ive not refused a viewing or a surveyor to enter the house ill go out of my way todrop the keys in the agent just wondering what ye thought as the EA has said we are good tenents and he wouldnt see us homeless if the house sold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

A good Tennant is one you almost forget about. Rent is paid directly and on time. They Never Bother You About Silly things and they take personal responsibility for upkeep and general maintainence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

A good tenant is on a good wage,
    always pays the rent,
    over 20,
    is quiet, not too loud,
    Works hard ,does not annoy the neighbours with loud music or partys .
    IS clean ,keeps the house clean,
    treats the house as if its own.
    IS well organised ,eg pays tv,esb bills on time .
    Leaves the house as good as when he moved in .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The Movie Se7en:

David Mills:
    Yeah, a landlord's dream: a paralyzed tenant with no tongue.

William Somerset:
    Who pays the rent on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

A good Tennant is one you almost forget about. Rent is paid directly and on time. They Never Bother You About Silly things and they take personal responsibility for upkeep and general maintainence.

So good tenants are those who take on responsibilities that belong to the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

gaius c wrote: »
    So good tenants are those who take on responsibilities that belong to the landlord?

General maintenance is the tenants job. It's their home, that's why they are afforded so much protection by the state.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Must get onto my landlord so. No more mopping floors or cleaning the fridge for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

ted1 wrote: »
    General maintenance is the tenants job. It's their home, that's why they are afforded so much protection by the state.
    Tenants in Ireland do not have massive protection from the State.

Tenants in Ireland do not have massive protection from the State.

Yes, they do. It's virtually impossible to evict them, if they stop paying there's nothing you can do.

Must get onto my landlord so. No more mopping floors or cleaning the fridge for me!

There's a difference between cleaning and "upkeep and general maintenance". From the tone of his post, it's pretty clear that he considers "silly things" to be basic maintenance of his valuable asset because he doesn't want to be disturbed at all, except to collect the rent.

ted1 wrote: »

No it isn't. Maintenance of the property is the landlord's job.
    Tap goes...landlord fixes.
    Toilet won't flush...landlord fixes.
    Heating won't work...landlord fixes.
    That's maintenance. Cleaning and hoovering is not maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

There's a difference between cleaning and "upkeep and general maintenance". From the tone of his post, it's pretty clear that he considers "silly things" to be basic maintenance of his valuable asset because he doesn't want to be disturbed at all, except to collect the rent.

Cutting the grass, general maintenance but I'd still expect the Tennant to do it!

From the tone of your posts I'm guessing you don't like landlords.

Cutting the grass, general maintenance but I'd still expect the Tennant to do it!

From the tone of your posts I'm guessing you don't like landlords.

I used to be a landlord. I just don't like the ones who think it's a magic money tree that requires no effort beyond filling out tax returns.

Cutting the grass isn't really "maintenance" either.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not a dick. Same goes for landlords.

An impossible standard for estate agents, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I used to be a landlord. I just don't like the ones who think it's a magic money tree that requires no effort beyond filling out tax returns.

Cutting the grass isn't really "maintenance" either.

so what does lawn maintenance mean then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Yes, I am differentiating between a 'Tennant' and a 'Good Tennant'. I suggest you read the OP :)

A Good tenant knows what the landlords responsibilities are and, bar those responsibilities, never has any interaction with the landlord.

A good tennent doesn't ring the landlord about bust lightbulbs and blocked drains. A Good tenants doesn't ring the landlord when the lawn needs mowing. A good tenant should only call the landlord when the landlord should be called for something that he is responsible for.

I am certainly not advocating that a landlord shirks any responsibility, and that where one can also differentiate between a 'Landlord' and a 'Good Landlord'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I've had a tenant asking me to change a light bulb before. That is maintenance but is not the LLs job.

A good tenant is one that recognizes the little things that they can fix themself

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭xxtippchickxx

I've had a tenant asking me to change a light bulb before. That is maintenance but is not the LLs job.

A good tenant is one that recognizes the little things that they can fix themself

oh i could picture the face on the Estate agent or my LL if i asked changed a lightbulb or cut the lawn:p:rolleyes: hed really be looking for a fast sale on the house :D

I've had tenants look to have light bulbs changed, carpets cleaned (new at time they moved in) walls painted that were covered in hand prints and scuff marks that were painted before they moved in.
    I have had tenants look to have a EU die replaced after they admitted smashing it after they forgot their keys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I'm defrosting the fridge at the moment. We must have bought waffles back in 2009 and they melded with the ice and are now dripping from under the fridge door as potato goo. It's some mess.
    I'm still a good tenant though.

Advertisement