Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd behavior In cat

• 25-05-2015 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

My cat has become extremely distant, anyone know why? She had kittens in march all healthy and now homed, except for one we though we would keep as company for her. she used to cuddle me and head bunt me but now if i go in her direction she runs and hides or more to the point cowards from me. Also next door had a pup and she is forever teasing the dog and starting fights. She has the whole garden but will sit as close to where the pup is just to annoy her. If i call her she will no longer come to me but if i manage so get her and give her love she cant get enough of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

A bump after ten minutes? :eek: Bit impatient there eh!

Has she been spayed recently? Could cause a change in her normal demeanor.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Could be coming back into heat as cats have a tendency of coming in heat so quick after young stopped suckling

we changed the sitting round completely 3 weeks ago (similar time of change) could that be it?

Kovu wrote: »
    A bump after ten minutes? :eek: Bit impatient there eh!

Has she been spayed recently? Could cause a change in her normal demeanor.

Yeah sorry about that i did originally ask on 22- and got no answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Her behaviour towards you sounds like its due to stress (a.k.a. fight or flight response) and actually makes sense if you think about it. Cats are actually quite territorial animals and unlike dogs who are pack animals in the wild they tend to prefer their own company than that of other cats (or indeed other animals) if given the chance. Now I know that there are many multicat households where the cats all seem to get along, but I would hazard that your cat feels stressed at having to share what she classes as her territory when she was previously used to having it all to herself (even though it is her kitten) and this is causing her behaviour towards you.
    You dont say whether the cat is more an outdoor or indoor cat? If she is a mostly indoor cat, it may be a good idea to create areas where she feels safe (usually some kind of shelf or perch for her to look out over her queendom) :) Possibly when you moved around the furniture you inadvertently got rid of her 'safe place'? I have also heard some vets recommending cat pheromones for stressed out cats, although personally I haven't used them.
    My own cat acted in a similar way (running away from me/ hiding) when we had some visitors staying at the house for a few weeks and only through a lot of patience, spending lots of time in the same room as her and letting her come to me of her own bat did she get back to normal. Its all about making her feel safe and in control. I found coaxing her out by playing with her was a great way to get her back into the open (only if it looks like she is not extremely afraid). I used a toy mouse or feather on the end of a string for this, while I was sat on the ground and before you knew it head bumps galore (my visitors did think I was a bit mad though :))

You also haven't said whether the kitten is male or female. Not that it really matters I suppose, as having two sexually active cats in the same house can get a bit hairy regardless. A kitten can go into heat from as early as 4 month as you probably know. Even when you get over this behavioural hurdle, you may have future problems if you have a male kitten trying to mate its mother, or a female kitten getting pregnant and having another litter of kittens to stress out your beloved cat.

Just so you know, I'm not a cat behaviouralist expert or anything, just have my own experiences with my cats and dogs, trial and error etc. Hope this helps a little though

redbel05 wrote: »
    Her behaviour towards you sounds like its due to stress (a.k.a. fight or flight response) and actually makes sense if you think about it. Cats are actually quite territorial animals and unlike dogs who are pack animals in the wild they tend to prefer their own company than that of other cats (or indeed other animals) if given the chance. Now I know that there are many multicat households where the cats all seem to get along, but I would hazard that your cat feels stressed at having to share what she classes as her territory when she was previously used to having it all to herself (even though it is her kitten) and this is causing her behaviour towards you.
    You dont say whether the cat is more an outdoor or indoor cat? If she is a mostly indoor cat, it may be a good idea to create areas where she feels safe (usually some kind of shelf or perch for her to look out over her queendom) :) Possibly when you moved around the furniture you inadvertently got rid of her 'safe place'? I have also heard some vets recommending cat pheromones for stressed out cats, although personally I haven't used them.
    My own cat acted in a similar way (running away from me/ hiding) when we had some visitors staying at the house for a few weeks and only through a lot of patience, spending lots of time in the same room as her and letting her come to me of her own bat did she get back to normal. Its all about making her feel safe and in control. I found coaxing her out by playing with her was a great way to get her back into the open (only if it looks like she is not extremely afraid). I used a toy mouse or feather on the end of a string for this, while I was sat on the ground and before you knew it head bumps galore (my visitors did think I was a bit mad though :))

You also haven't said whether the kitten is male or female. Not that it really matters I suppose, as having two sexually active cats in the same house can get a bit hairy regardless. A kitten can go into heat from as early as 4 month as you probably know. Even when you get over this behavioural hurdle, you may have future problems if you have a male kitten trying to mate its mother, or a female kitten getting pregnant and having another litter of kittens to stress out your beloved cat.

Just so you know, I'm not a cat behaviouralist expert or anything, just have my own experiences with my cats and dogs, trial and error etc. Hope this helps a little though

Update: She has turned against me, she runs away the second she sees me, will not come anywhere near me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think you need to take her to the vet for a checkup and get her spayed while she's there. It's Spay Aware Week and some vets are doing discounted spaying.

I think you need to take her to the vet for a checkup and get her spayed while she's there. It's Spay Aware Week and some vets are doing discounted spaying.

I went to the vets today and the said it was €75 and i could have a 25% discount the only problem is my baby wont even come near me. I use baby because from the moment i got her we never were apart, she was always attached to me, preferred me to my wife and kids and now im some stranger she completely hates me. Even when she about to have her first litter she called to me not my wife. i don't know what made her change so drastically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd bet on she's seeing the kitten now as a competitor rather than her offspring.
    Had a similar issue some years back and rehoming remaining kitten resolved it.

However cats being as moody and individual as they are it could differ with yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Sounds like she is stressed by a change in her environment.

What's changed? You kept one kitten. Next door had a pup. Could be either but I would suspect the kitten as it's right in her territory.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Sounds like she is stressed by a change in her environment.

What's changed? You kept one kitten. Next door had a pup. Could be either but I would suspect the kitten as it's right in her territory.

they shared a litter tray
    they have own bowls but kitten is more dominant lately
    the sitting room had a complete reconfirmation sofa is across the wall were computer desk was and visa versa. and now she seems to hate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

tonyheaney wrote: »
    they shared a litter tray
    they have own bowls but kitten is more dominant lately
    the sitting room had a complete reconfirmation sofa is across the wall were computer desk was and visa versa. and now she seems to hate me.

Spaying/neutering can make a huge difference with behaviour problems. Whenever we have a new cat around the stress levels of our own cats increases a lot but eases off a lot once the new cat has been neutered/spayed. If the kitten is a female other males can start coming around when she's as young as 4 months old, I saw it with our 4 month old foster kitten. She may very well see the kitten as competition, combine that with a new kitten in the home, a rearrangement of the house the way she liked it and a dog next door she's probably massively stressed.

Try to make more one to one time to play with her, where the kitten can't muscle in. Toys like the ones with a pole so she can keep her distance but play with you. Extra treats etc anything that helps rebuild the bond between you.

Id be getting them both spayed. ASAP.

She could be pregnant again in no time (could be already!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Sharing a litter tray is also stressful so get another as soon as you can. And as others have said, get her spayed:-)

There should be the same number of litter trays as cats plus 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Went to check out a situation with a tame cat this evening. Her kittens are six weeks old. And she is pregnant again - looks about four weeks gone.

The people wanted the kittens so let her have the litter the first time, but guess what? She took the kittens away when they were newborns. She's just brought them back, none of them have been handled so they're all scared and are probably going to be hard to find homes for. She herself is too young to be having kittens (under a year old) and is still skinny after having the first litter six weeks ago. She looks haggard.

Your cat's gone from being a kitten without a care in the world, to a now (young) adult, un-neutered female who's had a litter. That does change things, behaviourally. Spay her, it will reduce cortisol levels and she may regain *some* of her previously-kittenish behaviour.

Advertisement