Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord considering 2-bed as 3-bed

Options
  • 25-05-2015 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi folks, looking for some advice re my lease.

I've been renting an apartment for the last 2 1/2 years. The ad was for a 2 bedroom apartment, and all subsequent communication on email with the agency mentioned 2 bedroom. There is a third room, but the agency rep mentioned it's not considered a bedroom, but rather a study/office. I've only used it to house guests since it's too small for a personal to live there. The letting agreement we signed also notes the no of bedrooms as 2, and during the last rent review the agency calculated the market price by looking at 2 bedroom properties.
    Now, the agency is again doing a rent review but is asking for a 39% rent increase, arguing that it's actually a 3 bed and not a 2 bed. This comes as a complete surprise, and they're adamant about it.

Has anyone been through a situation like this or can advice if I have any legal options here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

ymaginary wrote: »
    Has anyone been through a situation like this or can advice if I have any legal options here?

You could lodge a dispute with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ymaginary

Paulw wrote: »
    You could lodge a dispute with the PRTB.

That's one option I am considering. What are the costs involved if I ask for arbitration ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ymaginary wrote: »
    Hi folks, looking for some advice re my lease.

I've been renting an apartment for the last 2 1/2 years. The ad was for a 2 bedroom apartment, and all subsequent communication on email with the agency mentioned 2 bedroom. There is a third room, but the agency rep mentioned it's not considered a bedroom, but rather a study/office. I've only used it to house guests since it's too small for a personal to live there. The letting agreement we signed also notes the no of bedrooms as 2, and during the last rent review the agency calculated the market price by looking at 2 bedroom properties.
    Now, the agency is again doing a rent review but is asking for a 39% rent increase, arguing that it's actually a 3 bed and not a 2 bed. This comes as a complete surprise, and they're adamant about it.

Check the planning requirements for the development.
    Is there a window in the spare room.
    Is it escapeable or reacueable from a fire point of view.
    Does it meet the minimum requirements for a bedroom under the Planning and Development Regulations?

Advertisement