Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ge simon 3 alarm

Options
  • 25-05-2015 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've just bought a house with an eircom phonewatch alarm. The alarm was installed by one of the previous owners but the owner who I purchased off said that the alarm never worked for him. I checked the unit and found the battery cable fuse, the transformer fuse and battery were all knackered. I replaced all three but the control panel still doesn't work (no noise, lights illuminated). Although I haven't checked yet I'm sure that all the batteries in the sensors will probably be knackered too, but I don't want to look that those til I get the panel sorted. Can anyone give me some technical help on this type of unit?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Could be a few things.Is the mains spur getting power?
    I'm PMing you the manual, that will give you a better idea of things. Come back to us & lets know where your at then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

rmbkennedy wrote: »
    I've just bought a house with an eircom phonewatch alarm. The alarm was installed by one of the previous owners but the owner who I purchased off said that the alarm never worked for him. I checked the unit and found the battery cable fuse, the transformer fuse and battery were all knackered. I replaced all three but the control panel still doesn't work (no noise, lights illuminated). Although I haven't checked yet I'm sure that all the batteries in the sensors will probably be knackered too, but I don't want to look that those til I get the panel sorted. Can anyone give me some technical help on this type of unit?

Have you power going to the control panel?
    Is the connections from the transformer connected to the PCB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rmbkennedy

Altor, koolkid,
    Thanks for the reply. With reference to ground, there's 12.4v going to the 4 terminals on the pcb. I think the replacement battery I've installed is too powerful too (6v, 3.8mA) as every time I connect the battery I blow the 750mA fuse on the positive battery lead, so I've disconnected the battery for now. Should the panel emit some kind of sound when the power is restored (it's never worked for me so I wouldn't know)? Is there a button sequence that needs to be completed when power is restored? Should the panel emit some kind of sound when the power is restored ( it's never worked for me so I wouldn't know)? Is there a button sequence that needs to be completed when power is restored?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It doesn't sound good. It should power up on the mains power alone. When powered up it should announce its status etc.

Altor, koolkid,
    Thanks for the reply. With reference to ground, there's 12.4v going to the 4 terminals on the pcb. I think the replacement battery I've installed is too powerful too (6v, 3.8mA) as every time I connect the battery I blow the 750mA fuse on the positive battery lead, so I've disconnected the battery for now. Should the panel emit some kind of sound when the power is restored (it's never worked for me so I wouldn't know)? Is there a button sequence that needs to be completed when power is restored? Should the panel emit some kind of sound when the power is restored ( it's never worked for me so I wouldn't know)? Is there a button sequence that needs to be completed when power is restored?

When power is connected to the panel it will say, system ** ok, depending on the version. From the sounds of it it was more than likely hit with lighting or some spike. It would need to be replaced. The battery is a 6V one so the one you have is ok also. The sensors off these systems can be used with UTC systems so I would check out getting a replacement and receiver for them if that is the road you want to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 rmbkennedy

altor wrote: »
    When power is connected to the panel it will say, system ** ok, depending on the version. From the sounds of it it was more than likely hit with lighting or some spike. It would need to be replaced. The battery is a 6V one so the one you have is ok also. The sensors off these systems can be used with UTC systems so I would check out getting a replacement and receiver for them if that is the road you want to take.

Would it be worth buying a cheap simon3 from the states, swapping the transformer to get a quick fix?

Would it be worth buying a cheap simon3 from the states, swapping the transformer to get a quick fix?

Have seen a few on Adverts a few times.
    The cheapest solution would be to but another GE control panel and use the sensors with a 433 receiver.

Advertisement