Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not a comic fun but looking for something interesting.

• 25-05-2015 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

I'm not into comics but I do really like Fables - so I was wondering if there is anything else out there I might like ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

You could try the sandman series. I am not into a lot of comics but really enjoyed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Sandman is a good choice. as is Lucifer as both focus on Stories that add to an overall arc.
    They touch upon the DC universe but are both their own things.

What do you need to know to enjoy the series? Only that there are seven brothers and sisters who have been since the beginning of time, the Endless. They are Destiny, Death, Dream, Desire, Despair, Delirium who was once Delight, and Destruction who turned his back on his duties. Their names describe their function and the realms that they are in charge of. Dream is removed from play at the start of the story and the first arc is him getting back into his role.
    I found the support cast more interesting. But it is Dreams story arc that keeps it moving forward. Well worth a read.

Lucifer is spins out of Sandman. And it's a very different beast. But touches on a lot of myths and Religious tales.
    And I found Lucifer to be more interesting a main character than Dream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Any good military comics around ? Or WW2 related ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Maus

Maus is a graphic novel by American cartoonist Art Spiegelman, serialized from 1980 to 1991. It depicts Spiegelman interviewing his father about his experiences as a Polish Jew and Holocaust survivor. The book uses postmodern techniques—most strikingly in its depiction of races of humans as different kinds of animals: Jews as mice, Germans as cats, and non-Jewish Poles as pigs. Critics have classified Maus as memoir, biography, history, fiction, autobiography, or a mix of genres. In 1992 it became the first graphic novel to win a Pulitzer Prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I second the recommendation of Maus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really enjoying the Wicked and Divine, which has some parallels with Fables.

For War Comics. Give Chariles War a look. It's a harsh take on life in the trenches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley%27s_War

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Recently played the wolf among us which I quite enjoyed(I believe some of it is based off fables).
    Just wondering is there a collection of fables issues available? something like how the walking dead has a compendium version?

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Recently played the wolf among us which I quite enjoyed(I believe some of it is based off fables).
    Just wondering is there a collection of fables issues available? something like how the walking dead has a compendium version?
    There are about 20 Trade paperbacks. Whicheach cover a story arc. And then hardbacks which generally collect 2 arcs.
    And are a tad more pricey. I think The Big Bang or Dublin city comics is the best spot to pick them up.

Advertisement