Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Camera

Options
  • 25-05-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

I bought a Zmodo security camera on Amazon recently.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SF8R6YW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was easy to setup and pair with my wifi and i can access the camera through an app on my phone. However i can't access it remotely which kind of defeats the purpose. I keep getting a message saying that the connection had timed out and the internet is too slow.

The company say that there's no need for port forwarding to access it remotely, and that UPnP should be enabled on the router, which it is.

I've tried to contact the company but so far haven't received a reply. before i return the camera to Amazon, I wonder would anyone have a solution.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

To connect to it you're going to need two things, public ip and port, do you have both?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

To connect to it you're going to need two things, public ip and port, do you have both?

Yes I think we do because we have Heatmiser set up to control our heating when we're out. I didn't set that up so how do I go about setting up the camera. I know how to get into the router settings but not really sure what to look for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

greyc wrote: »
    Yes I think we do because we have Heatmiser set up to control our heating when we're out. I didn't set that up so how do I go about setting up the camera. I know how to get into the router settings but not really sure what to look for

Unless you have a static ip from your provider your public ip will change every so often and every time you reboot the modem. Google "what's my ip" while connected to the modem to find what it is at present. The same will also happen to the port opened by upnp, every time you reboot the camera or the modem it will change. It's a bad way of doing it.

To do it right you would be best set a static port and static ip on the camera and port forward, ie allow a port from inside your lan to be accessed through the firewall from the internet. http://portforward.com/
    Then you will still need a static public ip from your provider. You'll be able to access the camera on "ipaddress:port"

Advertisement