Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows grilles and security doors

Options
  • 25-05-2015 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi All
    I'm looking to have some security grilles installed outside my two ground floor windows and also a metal gate outside the entrance door. There seem to be plenty of suppliers in the UK who do this (such as (http://www.banham.co.uk/gates-grilles/) but I haven't been able to find anything in or around Dublin. All the local companies I found on google only seem to sell the retractable grilles that are installed inside the window.
    If anyone knows of any company that does this could you please let me know.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Are you allowed put grills on windows nowadays with fire regs etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

wait4me wrote: »
    Are you allowed put grills on windows nowadays with fire regs etc??

99% of all comerical premises have them now. Alot of house have them as well most would have some sort of a heat sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Darith

I have a terraced house in a managed estate; i presume i can put grilles on the inside of my patio door and windows without needing permission from omc? But the front door; the grille has to go on the outside, do i need permission from the omc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That would depend on the management company, you might be ok as most allow a door change

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    That would depend on the management company, you might be ok as most allow a door change

The reply i got is that he would not be in favor of it. Not sure what that means but it would be best to keep on their good side i suppose.

Is there such a thing as secure window one can buy; that is a window that is supposedly security proof? Are they dearer than shutters? Plus in reference to previous post, are there any health & Safety-Fire Regs one should be concerned about?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Darith wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as secure window one can buy; that is a window that is supposedly security proof? Are they dearer than shutters? Plus in reference to previous post, are there any health & Safety-Fire Regs one should be concerned about?

Sure, there is "safety glass" which is a laminate layer applied to normal glass, which makes it much "stronger" and thus far more difficult to smash.

There is even bullet resistant glass and also plexiglass.

Then there is the strength of the frame that the glass is fitted to. How strong it is, metal reinforced is better. Glass should be internally beaded rather then externally and openings should lock to the window at 8 or 9 positions around the frame.

Ideally the lock should only be on the inside and not externally accessible.

Advertisement