Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite short love/celebrations poem, saying, or quote from Ireland?

• 26-05-2015 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

My future hubby and I decided to tie the knot after the momentous YES victory.

He's Irish, I'm Canadian, and I am responsible for the decorations and invites. I am NOT very good at this though.

I am looking for some ideas on short love or celebration related messages that I can use on invitations or have elsewhere at the wedding. Neither one of us are religious.

He speaks limited Irish so English or Irish is fine!

Any thoughts or feedback is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think some Oscar Wilde quotes would be a good way to go. He's probably the most iconic gay Irish person; and since he himself suffered for his sexuality in his own time, your future husband would perhaps find it a nice touch?

Wilde came out with some cracking quotes so if you were looking for some short snappy lines to put on invitations for example, he would fit rather well. For example, "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." And, "There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." You can find loads more of his quotes online so you could select a few that take your fancy.

As for a short enough love poem, I've always liked Yeats's classic, 'Aedh Wishes For the Cloths of Heaven'. It's only eight lines long:

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
    Enwrought with golden and silver light,
    The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
    Of night and light and the half light,
    I would spread the cloths under your feet:
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

That could work well for a short love message.

Best of luck to you both anyway with whatever you go with and congrats on the engagement. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JFBird

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I stumbled across that Yeates bit a while back and just couldn't remember it enough to find it again so that's a real help.

If I can memorise that poem I'd like to recite it to my man!

Thank you for your well wishes and help here, I genuinely appreciate it.

Advertisement